Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Tidbits from Dhaliwal this morning:

-Canucks have interest in Toffoli if he becomes a UFA
-going to be calling a lot of people
-no talks with Zadorov over the weekend; no urgency
-need to clear capspace
-very quiet with UFA talks
-trying to figure out goalie situation in Abbotsford
-haven't talked to DeSmith's agent

"Quiet with the free agents" makes me wonder if they're in discussion and on lockdown for info (a la Hronek).

But still, Mikheyev needs to be addressed before anything else.

Reactions: Jovofan and Vector

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I think they just want to push Nemec back to the AHL, take pressure off Hamilton, and move Marino down the line-up.

assuming pesce gets ~$6m/yr, that's almost $20m on the right side. they have just siegenthaler and hughes on the left. spending 4x more on one side of your d group vs the other seems like a bold strategy.

pesce is a good fit there, so not questioning the add. but they could cash in on the handedness premium by moving marino and adding a guy like sanheim, and probably not needing to pay much in net assets to make that happen.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
My last pitch for this off season before it all starts to shape up probably starting tomorrow

I dont want our last big ticket in cap space to be a guy about to turn 30 (Guentzel Reinhart Lindholm) not really interested in 8-10 million and 7-8yrs where after 2-3 yrs that player AND Miller are starting to decline with no room to improve or change things. If we can find the next Miller we can extend our window to 4-5 yrs vs 2-3. I want the Reinhart Bennett 24/25 yr old addition not a 30yr old. Necas Dach Glass Hayton Lundestrom Tomasino Frost Texier Farabee Batherson lets get some prime and cost effective value and make a trade vs the UFA pain and then scrambling like the Leafs to piece together the depth of our roster with shitty band aids

Joshua at 3.25 and Debrusk at 5.5 is better than Guentzel at 9.5/10 m for me. Gives us the size/strength we need to complement our top scorers
- Joshua ensures Garland will flourish in his role for the next couple years and our 3rd line will be a force
- Debrusk gives us speed physicality in our top6 we need and is 27. He should be with his skating in his prime for 4-5yrs and can compliment either of Miller-Boeser or Pettersson-Lekkerimaki.
- Also allows some fluidity for that last top6 spot.
* If Hoglander pops we can pay him
* You can sign a short term top6 like Arvidsson or Toffoli or Duchene plus have the 2 PFs which makes us less top6 heavy and reliant on 2 lines and gives us room next summer or the one after to grab a UFA during our window

Sign Zadorov. Not because he will be worth every penny but because he will be a unicorn force in the post season and Soucy only has 2 more years. By then EP2 can be in the mix and Willander on the right side which should allow for the Hughes raise and again flexibility. He's no Chara but he has some characteristics in physical playoff match ups that makes us extremely hard to play against. Dillon would be fine but in 2 yrs we will be back shopping for a big ticket and he's 34 plus Myers getting long in the tooth. Maybe that's ok but i like Zadorov and he's young enough to fit our window

Myers Blueger team friendly deals. Maybe even Lafferty if he stays around 1.2m max

Excited to see what they come up with

Reactions: Jovofan

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Nothing Canucks related but here's Pagnotta's article from today.

Ducks:
-taking calls on Vatrano

Predators:
-Saros' extension ask is 8m-8.5m long term

Vatrano would be very nice in our top six 100%

Saros at 8+ is a very big xl yikes

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not surprised it's quiet with the UFAs, short an unexpected Mikheyev trade, I expect they'll wait to add confirmed salary until after they see what is available on July 1.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
assuming pesce gets ~$6m/yr, that's almost $20m on the right side. they have just siegenthaler and hughes on the left. spending 4x more on one side of your d group vs the other seems like a bold strategy.

pesce is a good fit there, so not questioning the add. but they could cash in on the handedness premium by moving marino and adding a guy like sanheim, and probably not needing to pay much in net assets to make that happen.
From a Devils guy, he said the interest was because they were too young once Dougie went down and Marino can play as a 4 he isn't going to be near good enough to cover top pair. At least if Dougie goes down, they would have Pesce to play top pair and not have to throw Marino up there or Nemec. Especially with the left side being sort of the same, Seignathler isn't going to carry a pair and Luke is young and more geared to the offensive side of the game still.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
At this point, I'd be open to moving on from EP before that NMC in the extension kicks in. You can't buy him out if the worst case scenario happens after that.

Management f***ed that one up big time. After his playoffs, they could have argued he's not worth more than $9 million per.
I think it was a good chance that this contract is part of a trade agreed to already.

EP's cap hit is fairly reasonable for a 100 point player especially in 3 or 4 years. It also established a trade value, being signed is better than being unsigned RFA.

Have to watch what Carolina does, If Necas, Pesce are signed they could be the players included.
Maybe an EP and Hoglander? for Necas, KK, Pesce and a pick. The Canucks might want a long term contract with Necas.

WooHooo not too much longer until the NHL shackles are off. It might a very informative 24 hours after the game.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Curious how Marino is valued. He didn’t seem get a ton of interest when the Devils acquired him but that may have been flat cap driven. He’s coming off a poor year too though.

Sanheim on the other hand resuscitated his value and is probably overkill on that defence with only so many minutes to go around.

If they sign Pesce I would assume it is to play with Hughes, and Siegenthaler and Hamilton have great results together so they probably won’t break that up. So if they move Marino presumably it’s to free up space for a babysitter for Nemec.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Tidbits from Dhaliwal this morning:

-Canucks have interest in Toffoli if he becomes a UFA
-going to be calling a lot of people
-no talks with Zadorov over the weekend; no urgency
-need to clear capspace
-very quiet with UFA talks
-trying to figure out goalie situation in Abbotsford
-haven't talked to DeSmith's agent
Clear cap space for what? There is no hint of any player actually coming here.

Every comment out of Dhali's mouth include an imaginary player signing for 9 million. And he always adds that the only player affected is Zadorov. Myers, Joshua, Blueger, Lindholm, no others are mentioned. Zadorov is a fan favourite so targeting him constantly is click bait, trolling, preying on fans feelings, taking candy away from kids is the way he looks at it. He laughs at the way he can pull the strings and manipulated fan angst like a puppet master. I used to think he had honor and was a straight up guy but then he suddenly became like a marketer for the team.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Curious how Marino is valued. He didn’t seem get a ton of interest when the Devils acquired him but that may have been flat cap driven. He’s coming off a poor year too though.

Sanheim on the other hand resuscitated his value and is probably overkill on that defence with only so many minutes to go around.

If they sign Pesce I would assume it is to play with Hughes, and Siegenthaler and Hamilton have great results together so they probably won’t break that up. So if they move Marino presumably it’s to free up space for a babysitter for Nemec.
I suggested Soucy for Marino last week. then we sign Zadorov and Dillon.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

just used sanheim as an example in terms of lhd vs rhd, but agreed.

zadorov would be a good fit there, at just a bit more than what marino costs cap wise but they should still get something back for him.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
one thing i haven't seen talked about is that unless vancouver are going to let boeser walk they need to sign some 1 year deals this offseason. their only expiring contracts after next season are boeser, suter and hoglander (and some guys on min or near min deals) and the oel buyout goes up 3.4m (which hopefully is offset by a cap increase but...)

if they sign a bunch of guys to term this offseason they'll be unable to sign boeser if he wants any kind of raise and will probably be unable to sign hoglander/suter if they do somehow keep boeser. they don't really have any moveable contracts either except maybe soucy and garland (maybe mikheyev if he's still around)

Reactions: sting101

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

Wonder if there's a world where Rutherford can repeat his Kessel-to-the-Penguins magic here. Could the Canucks do a swap where they're only taking on 5 million salary (by sending a contract back)?

I doubt it would be a popular trade because of 'Leafs Ick' but Kessel had the same Leafs-ick at the time and it led the Penguins to back to back cups.

Reactions: Lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad