Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Thought this Bruce Garrioch article was interesting.

Veteran Travis Hamonic has a full no-move clause and likely will have his $1 million deal bought out once the Stanley Cup final ends Monday. The club would carry a $366,000 cap hit for the next two seasons if that takes place.

The Ottawa Senators have a decision to make on defenceman Erik Brannstrom.Brannstrom, a restricted free agent, requires a $2-million qualifying offer to retain his rights for free agency and the Senators are torn on whether they want to go that route.

As Postmedia has reported, the Senators have spoken to teams regarding winger Mathieu Joseph. He has two years left at $2.95 million and they would like to get his contract off the books to try to help propel a deal to acquire Seattle Kraken winger Brandon Tanev.

The club would also like to upgrade its fourth line, and if they could find any takers for centre Mark Kastelic they would make that move as well.

Plus stuff about their goalie situation, minor league players, and Chychrun.

lol k

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
lekk for buchnevich was the move to make at the deadline - we'd probably have a cup right now if we made that trade.

i'd still run that back because of buch's cap hit even without the second playoff run.

love the idea of guentzel in terms of filling a massive hole - top 2 winger - but any of the contracts rumored between 9 and 11.5M are just too much. move an asset to get a guy who provides 70-80% of what guentzel does at 50% of the cost. wing is just not the spot to be spending 8 figures per year. if buchnevich is not available, jake debrusk at half the cost feels like a better bet.

lets pretend buchnevich is, and mikheyev disappears.

suter - miller - boeser
buchnevich - pettersson - hoglander
joshua - blueger - garland
pod - duhaime - heinen/amadio
pdg/aman

hughes - hronek
soucy - demelo
edmundson - myers (tanev isn't coming home)
desharnais
friedman

demko
silovs

add at the deadline to upgrade on suter and/or hoglander. add guys like heinen or amadio in case either of those guys fall off during the season.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Guentzel EP Konecny
McGroarty Miller Laine
Kaprizov Buchnevich Michkov
Joshua Blueger Suter
aman
kessel

hughes hronek
Zadorov Kovacevic
soucy tanev
myers
juulsen
friedman

Demko
Stolarz
Silovs

=profit

Reactions: Jovofan

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
To be fair to Snow, he traded Hamonic + 4th for a 1st and two 2nds. That 1st became the pick used to draft Dobson. The GM Snow fleeced still has a NHL GM job.
Snake eating its own tail

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I know Suter is good bang for the buck playing with Miller and Boeser, but I can't help but think how many times we could have extended leads if he didn't blow so many tap-ins.

Having someone there with even like 15% more finish in his game would pay some pretty huge dividends imo. Not really any money for it tho.
I get this sentiment, but in reality, it would almost be impossible to improve upon that combination. Suter - Miller - Boeser were 65%(!) xG and 80%(!!) on goals in the regular season. 61% xG and 55% on goals in the playoffs, despite getting the hard matches (a full 7 games against McDavid incl.).

That is an elite, elite line. The priority above all else must be improving the winger quality on Petey's line. Suter - Miller - Boeser is already exceptional and should be a combination penciled in to start next season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Does not play center he is winger. If you don't play center before you get to the NHL you ain't playing center in the NHL. He does not have the foot speed to play center.

How's his skating? There are a few posters here in favour of a Lekkerimaki for McGroaty swap (one even advocating adding a significant piece to get it done). If McGroaty's skating projects well I'm fine with the swap (if management and our scouts feel McGroaty is better), but I'm not McGroaty's skating projects well. There is only one Matthew Tkachuk.

Looking at his highlights, he scores a lot from Petey's fav spot on the ice. He's not going to score many goals from that spot if he's not on PP1.

To me, Lekkerimaki's skating is much more fluid and agile. Lekkerimaki's skating was a question mark at the time of the draft but it looks like it won't be a problem going forward.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Lekkerimaki's issues are going to be on the defensive side of the game and puck recovery in the O-Zone. If he can improve in the areas he has a shot but at the movement he doesn't have the 'nonnegotiables" TIkTok wants.

He seems like a smart player and he appears to have a fast stick when he is trying to retrieve the puck but his physicality is not there yet but perhaps he will improve.

He would probably need to play with players capable of superior puck recovery for him to be effective.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Lekkerimaki's issues are going to be on the defensive side of the game and puck recovery in the O-Zone. If he can improve in the areas he has a shot but at the movement he doesn't have the 'nonnegotiables" TIkTok wants.

He seems like a smart player and he appears to have a fast stick when he is trying to retrieve the puck but his physicality is not there yet but perhaps he will improve.

He would probably need to play with players capable of superior puck recovery for him to be effective.
This account is like dark VanJack.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024

You just described around 70% of top 6 forwards in the NHL right now.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I have zero issue with Suter on that line. He’s like an Evan Rodrigues smart utility player who is capable of playing up and down and chipping in with big plays at an insane value
Honestly an Evan Rodriguez is exactly the type of upgrade I was thinking of, because he's has that slightly better finishing ability.

I'm not suggesting breaking the bank, just a slight upgrade.

@bossram has a pretty convincing argument above, so I won't lose sleep over it or anything

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad