Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Elliotte Friedman hinting again on 32 Thoughts today that Tyler Toffoli is back on Vancouver's radar—perhaps as a Guentzel back-up.
no thanks. team wants to get faster not slower. boeser is already slow as it is. so you want another slow forward in the top 6 again. yes i know he has chemistry with petterson and miller. but jg or 2nd tier guys would be the best option.

I would much rather have Guentzel over Reinhart.
if guentzel is off the market... reinhart would be by plan B. right handed center can play PP.

Reactions: Chiripa20

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I’d do a prospect-for-prospect thing with Lekkerimaki in like 2 seconds flat, and would probably add something else significant.

Moving a slight skill winger for a JT Miller-framed centre who has been blowing the doors off in the NCAA? All day. Seems like wherever he goes he wants to be on the NHL roster so not 100% sure how to acommodate that without him playing a lot of low-minute bottom 6 games.

On the same topic, we are entering a very interesting era where it's no longer the Russian players that are the riskiest guys, it's becoming the high pedigree USDNTP program NCAA guys who honestly might be the most difficult to have them roll over and fall in line for the whole seven years of control like the Good Canadian CHL Kids.

I've said it before but it's hilarious trying to come to terms with being extremely pro-labour rights, but also whinging when we start having a ton of player empowerment in the NHL and it starts to affect the league (or my preferred teams) in negative ways.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
No interest in Toffoli unless the term is 2 years or less, which I can't imagine he'll go for.

If we can't land Guentzel, I'd see how eager the Blues are to move on from Brandon Saad.
Well so far some of the posters are so sold on Guentzel they want to pay him very close to 10 million when he is 36 - 37 yrs old. Shortsighted. Might as well deem him the Messiah.
A lot of buzz today based on Friedman’s podcast that Rutger McGroarty and the Jets aren’t talking, and the Jets might be looking to move him.

Don’t think we have the pieces to make that work - lousy news for Winnipeg.
If they can't sign him? So it is only his rights? Pretty sure the Peg will take the best of anything offered by any club. These usually end up being late picks or B prospects. It would be a very good swing at bat for the Nux
If we get Zadorov and Guentzel you can kiss Joshua goodbye

i would be shocked if Mikhayev is anything but a buyout
First off why Guentzel only? And for how much? All this fan favoured speculation is setting up Boeser's next contract. Guentzel - no one cares about his age or speed and he doesn't point totals of Boeser. If 10 mil for the Messiah then 10+ mil for BB?

Again why are folks still drinking the "not enough cap space"? Has anyone actually shown why other than just parroting it? A few shows are starting to hint that there may be enough. And then Guentzel's ask goes up and up.
Imagine if Bedard pulls a move like that.
Lindros and Lemieux both did that, Lemieux was persuaded to stay with Pitt but Lindros was moved.
Wasn't there a couple of college kids that did the same more recently? Vesey? Livingstone?

Guentzel is not the Messiah, there would be no guarantee he would mesh with EP so that would still leave a winger problem but no cap space to find another for 5+ years.
Better of offer 10 mil to Stamkos for 2 years. Reinhart will be re-signed in Florida for 7 mil or so, that's over 8 mil in Canada due to taxes.

That Winnipeg kid would be worth a swing, entry level contract, cap control for 6+ years yet, not cost a fortune in assets.

There are or will be yet several older veteran FA's that could be 3rd/4th line guys at lower costs.

The next 72 hours are going to be very active.

I see the Canucks signing Zadorov, Myers, Joshua, ALL what the coach wants and then making a bang in the trade market leading up to or at the draft.

I hope people realize that Hronek was not re-signed because of Hughes, Allvin made it quite clear he wants Hronek to lead his own pairing and they believe he can do that.

I also think they may end up signing Lindholm which would make sense. Giving up all those assets for a rental would not look good in the long run.

Rutherford's comments about fan reactions, statements he made when he first got here about making trades fans might not like, and success following the Horvat trade make me think there could be a really big name player to be traded, one already signed. I do think Rutherford/Allvin may have misread the fan reaction of the Horvat trade for some fans, some felt he had suffered through enough losing seasons here and was due for a chance at a cup. That trade was more reward for Horvat than a bad thing.

So if Rutherford has paved the way for a for a fan favourite player that is already signed to be traded, who might that be? Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Miller? Mikheyev is already known so it's not him, Garland asked for a trade three time now and it is not a player that fans would lament of losing. Who else? Demko?

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Psshhh, we're sports fans, hypocritical takes are in our DNA
Yeah, I want the Canucks to win but I don't want the aquilini's blueberry and blood covered fingers anywhere near the Cup. I will follow the team but I won't buy any merchandise or spend a penny on them while this ownership group remains. It's a compromise, but it's one I'm ok to live with for the time being.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Mikheyev would look fantastic on Michkov’s wing. Great mentor for the kid. Get it down Briere!
1719169569247.png

Reactions: Vector and Lindgren

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Moving a slight skill winger for a JT Miller-framed centre who has been blowing the doors off in the NCAA? All day. Seems like wherever he goes he wants to be on the NHL roster so not 100% sure how to acommodate that without him playing a lot of low-minute bottom 6 games.

On the same topic, we are entering a very interesting era where it's no longer the Russian players that are the riskiest guys, it's becoming the high pedigree USDNTP program NCAA guys who honestly might be the most difficult to have them roll over and fall in line for the whole seven years of control like the Good Canadian CHL Kids.

I've said it before but it's hilarious trying to come to terms with being extremely pro-labour rights, but also whinging when we start having a ton of player empowerment in the NHL and it starts to affect the league (or my preferred teams) in negative ways.
These players still don't have much leverage realistically. Good NCAA prospects have to forgo a lot of money to reach free agency and I believe CHL prospects have to actually stop playing competitive hockey for a year. Although I think it's the fact that they know they'll eventually be extremely rich anyway that enables them to refuse to sign/request trades. If you're expecting to make 200k in 1990 holding up your career for a year or two, or pissing off the team that hold your rights, is more consequential.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I know Suter is good bang for the buck playing with Miller and Boeser, but I can't help but think how many times we could have extended leads if he didn't blow so many tap-ins.

Having someone there with even like 15% more finish in his game would pay some pretty huge dividends imo. Not really any money for it tho.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I know Suter is good bang for the buck playing with Miller and Boeser, but I can't help but think how many times we could have extended leads if he didn't blow so many tap-ins.

Having someone there with even like 15% more finish in his game would pay some pretty huge dividends imo. Not really any money for it tho.
For improvement the team may have to sacrifice 4th line salaries.

They have the money to sign or trade for players like Konecny, Buchnevich, Crouse, Nelson, Lee, Roslovic, Trocheck, Mantha, every team has some to move. Columbus has to move some young guys, they have too many good prospects and not enough contract spots left and they are about to get another star draft pick so some of those there now might be worthy of a multi player trade for experienced NHLer's that have gone through tough times.

Through trades of Boeser, Garland and Mikheyev that additional 17 million in cap space lets the team really explore many different aspects, but then chemistry can be an issue.

Maybe just trading Pettersson works better just so the focus goes on the team and not one player's playmate

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria

If we move him back to the 3rd or 4th line like we should who gets that spot.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
i’ll say, it was certainly weird after the gretzky trade to see the team change from lakers jerseys to raiders

View attachment 886034

View attachment 886035

View attachment 886032

View attachment 886029

just didn’t look quite right on him

View attachment 886036
To this day nobody has ever seen Wayne Gretzky and Princess Diana in the same room together.

#wakeupsheeple

If we move him back to the 3rd or 4th line like we should who gets that spot.
I think we need to try Myers there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad