HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Where did you get this?

My understanding from reading Basu's article is that Habs would have drafted a D at 5 and also in parallel traded other assets for McGroarty if Demidov wasn't available at 5
I don't remember, there were so many 'INSIDERRRRRS' yesterday, but ya it is laughable to trade that pick. Hope they can still find a deal, obviously with our overflow of D

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Based on Chevaldayoff’s track record, most recently PLD, how likely is it he’ll accept such a deal?
Chevy will accept the best deal. I would entertain any combination of Barron, Harris, CGY 1st, Newhook, Matheson, Mesar, Kappanen

Or if that's not a good fit, we do same as we did with Dach trade - involve 3rd team and get the assets they want with above assets.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
McGroarty is the type of forward we need, but I'm not going to trade premium assets for him which is what Chevy will hold out for. Frankly, adding a vet to compliment the top 6 when Demidov comes over is probably a smarter idea. Suzuki/CC/Slaf/Dach/Demidov are very young. Draisaitl/Rantanen are obviously dream signings, but Buchnevich would be an incredible addition as well.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Where did you get this?

My understanding from reading Basu's article is that Habs would have drafted a D at 5 and also in parallel traded other assets for McGroarty if Demidov wasn't available at 5
That is very credible info from Basu and it is corroborated by what Chris Johnson said on Insider Trading:
"I know at some point they were tied to a discussion on Rutger McGroarty...Not necessarily for the 5th overall pick itself. Ultimately when Ivan Demidov was there at #5 that stuff went away"

It is conceivable that some combo of #21 and another asset like a young Dman could've been discussed. I think it is much more likely they will try to sign a short term UFA rather than trade for McGroarty.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Thank you, Columbus. We owe you one!
They owe us for the screwing us over by taking Dubois 3rd (I know things have changed since). I remember rumours of Subban + 9th for Drais + 4th (with us taking homeboy Dubois) at the time and it was suggested that Puljujärvi falling to 4th was a factor in the Oilers refusing. At the time, Jesse was up there in potential talent with Matthews and Laine as the 'consensus top 3'.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Yeah, I would forget McGroaty. I can see him staying the full 4 years and going UFA if Jets really don't want to play him.

There's no way we were giving up #5. #21 would have been fine. McGroaty was taken 14th, but there were still good players at #21 when we selected. It was a far more equal trade.
Jets will trade him instead of losing him for nothing.
I don't think it's because they don't want to play him. It has more to do with Jets trying to avoid burning one year of his ELC.
Same thing as the Flyers with Cutter Gauthier.

Wouldn't surprise me if agents and the PA were behind this. Trying to send a message to teams.
Both players looked like they were happy being with their team before that happened.

From what i understand, MTL was prepared to trade down (maybe more than once) if Demidov was not available at 5 and then use their new lesser pick to trade for a player. Not sure if it was McG.
KH said that they had different scenarios prepared depending on who was still there at 5.
He also said that he would've traded 21 OA if Hage was not there. Maybe for McG?

Minny was prepared to give 13 OA but decided to keep it when they saw that Buium was still there at 12.

All those picks are in the same range, so that's probably what it's gonna take to get him.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
They owe us for the screwing us over by taking Dubois 3rd (I know things have changed since). I remember rumours of Subban + 9th for Drais + 4th (with us taking homeboy Dubois) at the time and it was suggested that Puljujärvi falling to 4th was a factor in the Oilers refusing. At the time, Jesse was up there in potential talent with Matthews and Laine as the 'consensus top 3'.
Jackets took Dubois once allowing Thachuk to slide. Hope it's same this year with Demidov

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The Buium piece by Basu looks more and more like a disinformation operation orchestrated by the Habs.

Seems like nobody was buying it anyway.

Thankfully, we got lucky.
Buium was hurt by being left-handed but actually he can play right side too.

Minnesota probably has a steal here.

Oh, and Islanders make out like bandits with Eiserman.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Hello Habs fans,

With the recent news of Askarov being potentially available, I could see Montreal being interested in him.

Trotz has stated that the price is either a legit, young-ish NHL'er or an equivalent prospect that's not a goalie.

What do you think a fair trade would look like between the Preds and the Habs? Does Reinbacher one-for-one for Askarov sound good?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Hello Habs fans,

With the recent news of Askarov being potentially available, I could see Montreal being interested in him.

Trotz has stated that the price is either a legit, young-ish NHL'er or an equivalent prospect that's not a goalie.

What do you think a fair trade would look like between the Preds and the Habs? Does Reinbacher one-for-one for Askarov sound good?
Hell no

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Hello Habs fans,

Askarov has been peddled for three straight years now. He’s not going get you a 5OA pick or equivalent prospect.

He’s going to get a 2nd rounder and a player like Jordan Harris.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Hello Habs fans,

Most established starter NHL goalies don't even have that trade value and preds aren't even playing Askarov in the NHL.

You should ask yourself why Trotz has been trying for two years to trade his ass. They could have him as Saros's backup instead of trying to dangle him for a trade...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Most established starter NHL goalies don't even have that trade value and preds aren't even playing Askarov in the NHL.

You should ask yourself why Trotz has been trying for two years to trade his ass. They could have him as Saros's backup instead of trying to dangle him for a trade...
It does make me wonder a bit why the Predators would give 5’9 Saros a long term over 30 contract if Askarov is as good as they’re trying to advertise him as.

Expos94

May 13, 2022
Hello Habs fans,

I think Guhle would be a good starting point , maybe throw in Calgary s pick next year .

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Hello Habs fans,

hero-image.fill.size_1200x675.v1626877109.png

I think Guhle would be a good starting point , maybe throw in Calgary s pick next year .
Hell, no.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Hello Habs fans,

Even if Nashville accepted Jordan Harris or Justin Barron or Filip Mesar, what would Montreal do with a third goalie?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Hello Habs fans,

If Montreal would seriously consider it, they would have accepted the heavily rumoured Askarov + 1st for 2023 5th OA offer Nashville made last year.

How about Mailloux?

Plausibly, but I'm not sure Montreal is a fit. Montreal's still mid-rebuild, they like Montembault as a starter for now, Primeau has started to put it together a little bit and Montreal's really high on Fowler as a prospect.

If it was something like Primeau+Jordan Harris, Jayden Struble or potentially Justin Barron then there might be a deal, but I don't think Montreal's interested enough to make an offer Nashville would seriously consider.

Reactions: Deam78

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad