Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | The Hunt for Red June

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
They’ve signaled that they will make some trades that upset the room and will move one of Seeler or Walker if they don’t make progress on extension talks.

Lots of smoke about teams acquiring those two as a pair.
I just don't see it. Especially not both of them. Seeler and Walker is their entire PK2 and #3 and #4 in TOI among d men. It would completely destroy the Flyer's ability to compete unless they receive back contributing players. But how would that work with how the majority of TDL deals are structured?

Reactions: dez

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
If Pettersson won't even negotiate an extension, a trade will probably happen before the deadline.

The preamble to Allvin trading Horvat last season was the leak of the offer management had made to the Horvat camp to re-sign.

It was an intelligent PR move to get out in front of the Horvat fans that may have suggested that management hadn't done everything they could to retain him.

There was even an identical new item from EF saying that the Canucks were receiving calls on Horvat but that the Canucks were intending to work out a new deal.

Management must know they start losing leverage in the Summer if Pettersson tells the hockey world that he intends to Take His Talents to South Beach or wherever.

Buckle up.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
If he's balking at a multi year deal, I can see it being more about wanting to be UFA ASAP more than simply wanting to be anywhere but here. It's hard to imagine the latter could be the case without it creating a toxic situation in the dressing room.

even if he wanted a 1 year deal he has better options than accepting his qualifying offer. he can just take the team to arb and get a 1 year deal for much more money

Reactions: Jerry the great

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Didn’t dhaliwal mention Walker’s name ahead of Tanev’s? Mostly due to cost but yeah

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
If Pettersson won't even negotiate an extension, a trade will probably happen before the deadline.

The preamble to Allvin trading Horvat last season was the leak of the offer management had made to the Horvat camp to re-sign.

It was an intelligent PR move to get out in front of the Horvat fans that may have suggested that management hadn't done everything they could to retain him.

There was even an identical new item from EF saying that the Canucks were receiving calls on Horvat but that the Canucks were intending to work out a new deal.

Management must know they start losing leverage in the Summer if Pettersson tells the hockey world that he intends to Take His Talents to South Beach or wherever.

Buckle up.
This is just untrue. Petey is an RFA so we will still have this offseason and next season to unload him if it goes south - it has very little-to-nothing to do with this deadline other than internal or media made up timelines and checkin points. There’s just a zero % chance they throw away this season and ruin the team chemistry right before a good chance at a run.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
even if he wanted a 1 year deal he has better options than accepting his qualifying offer. he can just take the team to arb and get a 1 year deal for much more money
if he takes the team to arb, don't they get to decide if it's 1 or 2 years?

edit: ahh only if he was 2 years away from UFA.

Last edited:

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
He’d have such limited value you can grab him for nothing and maybe with retention just as depth.
he's the new Mike Weaver. undersized defender that can kill penalties and doesn't let blood everywhere at evens....yet nobody cares because he's not big and tuff. Team leading +7 and they've collapsed without him in the lineup. GLUE GUY.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I've been musing a bit on Tarasenko.

The previous thread had speculation about Mikheyev for Tarasenko, and I'm considering the likelihood of that here.

He wanted to sign with a contender for term, that was NYR to him. They couldn't afford him and so others circled: CAR, OTT, FLA, SJ and NSH. Curiously, he rejected other contenders like FLA and CAR to sign with OTT. He may have thought at that point to go for the money.

And so, I went through looking for contenders with the ability to re-sign him for 2 years at $5m per. As well, the teams that may be willing to give up a middle-6 forward in exchange. This is what OTT is speculated to want. Almost none would consider a middle-6 player swap for a rental, except VAN. What's more, they're the only team that could re-sign a $5m~ AAV player in turn. FLA would re-sign Reinhart instead. CAR would look at bringing Teravainen back first. And so on...

Last, going after Tarasenko vs Guentzel, or even just re-signing Tarasenko over retaining Lindholm, allows VAN to maintain their cap flexibility. It's the type of move that can work very well from many angles.

Last edited:

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I've been musing a bit on Tarasenko.

The previous thread had speculation about Mikheyev for Tarasenko, and I'm considering the likelihood of that here.

These are the teams speculated to be after him in the offseason: CAR, OTT, FLA, SJ and NSH. He rejected the alternatives to sign with OTT. Initially, he wanted to re-sign with NYR for term. They couldn't do that for him. After that, he still chose to reject other contenders in FLA and CAR to sign with OTT. He may have thought at that point to go for the money.

And so, I went through looking for contenders with the ability to re-sign him for 2 years at $5m per. As well, the teams that may be willing to give up a middle-6 forward in exchange. This is what OTT is speculated to want.

Now obviously, moving Mikheyev in a deal for Tarasenko is favourable here. It just depends on whether OTT values NHL players rather than futures. FLA and CAR are unlikely to be able to send players back, and would probably only want Tarasenko as a rental (for futures). In VAN though, he could be re-signed for 2 years for only a small increase over and above Mikheyev's current salary.

Last, going after Tarasenko vs Guentzel, or even just re-signing Tarasenko over retaining Lindholm here, allows VAN to maintain their cap flexibility rather than locking in another Miller-esque contract. It's the type of move that can work very well from many angles.
I think they would value players they covet over futures. Whether they covet post ACL reconstruction Mikheyev is another story. I can see it though. Hockey ops guys probably look through recovery periods more than fans do, and they saw a lot of him during his days in Toronto. Might be a challenge to convince him to waive his (limited) NTC, as I'd bet money that Ottawa is on his list

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
This is just untrue. Petey is an RFA so we will still have this offseason and next season to unload him if it goes south - it has very little-to-nothing to do with this deadline other than internal or media made up timelines and checkin points. There’s just a zero % chance they throw away this season and ruin the team chemistry right before a good chance at a run.
I think most here understand Pettersson can accept his one year qualifying offer and put the Canucks in a poor negotiation position as he would then be a UFA at the end of the one year term.

Why would management allow him to erode his value before they would be obliged to trade him at a heavy discount anyway?

The leverage switches to the Pettersson camp after this deadline.

The clock is ticking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad