Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | The Hunt for Red June

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Friedman said the Canucks are interested in Guentzel which is obvious. No clue what they're willing to trade.

I don't see any scenario where Lekk or Willander aren't involved. Neither of whom I want to trade. We'd also need to dump Mikheyev just to make the money work. Not sure if Pittsburgh wants to eat another year of his contract.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't see any scenario where Lekk or Willander aren't involved. Neither of whom I want to trade. We'd also need to dump Mikheyev just to make the money work. Not sure if Pittsburgh wants to eat another year of his contract.

And trading either of those is pretty unprecedented for a rental. Although I could see it with Mikheyev as a negative value cap dump.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Mik, Lekkermakki 1st in 25’ is probably our best/only offer

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That would be a hideous trade..for a rental..Allvins popularity would take a massive hit if he traded Lekk or Willander for Guentzel.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I'd love they went out and got Guentzel just so no one else in the division can get him.

Reactions: oceanchild

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Just for fun, what would Ottawa have to add to Tkachuk for you to move Pettersson?

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Ottawa wouldn't be adding.
I think a trade like this would only happen if Pettersson comes with an extension because he simply wanted out of Van. In which case Ottawa would be adding.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Ottawa wouldn't be adding.
Ya. People aren’t really getting that Pettersson without a contract extension, with one RFA remaining, isn’t going to command a good young player of similarish value on a long term contract unless Pettersson has agreed on an extension with the new team.

Reactions: andora and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think a trade like this would only happen if Pettersson comes with an extension because he simply wanted out of Van. In which case Ottawa would be adding.

Tkachuk's contract is a bargain and when you're looking at him long-term at $8 million vs. Pettersson at $12 million, they wouldn't be adding.

It's irrelevant in this example though as Pettersson would never sign long-term in Ottawa.

Reactions: andora and Hodgy

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Tkachuk's contract is a bargain and when you're looking at him long-term at $8 million vs. Pettersson at $12 million, they wouldn't be adding.

It's irrelevant in this example though as Pettersson would never sign long-term in Ottawa.
Ya. Same reason why we couldn’t get Hughes out of New Jersey.

If we have to trade Petey cause he won’t sign, then the likely scenario is that we get a first, a very good prospect (but probably not a true “top” prospect”) and a decent youngish player with some term. This the Eichel package. Or you adjust it for more futures or less (e.g., Tkachuk).

The return for Petey will only really ever workout if we strike gold on one of the futures we receive.

Reactions: andora

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ya. Same reason why we couldn’t get Hughes out of New Jersey.

If we have to trade Petey cause he won’t sign, then the likely scenario is that we get a first, a very good prospect (but probably not a true “top” prospect”) and a decent youngish player with some term. This the Eichel package. Or you adjust it for more futures or less (e.g., Tkachuk).

The return for Petey will only really ever workout if we strike gold on one of the futures we receive.

Eichel was a different situation because he had a career-threatening injury that limited his value.

We should absolutely be getting a tier-1 top-20 prospect in the league in a Pettersson trade or a rookie/sophomore player who recently fit that description.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Eichel was a different situation because he had a career-threatening injury that limited his value.

We should absolutely be getting a tier-1 top-20 prospect in the league in a Pettersson trade or a rookie/sophomore player who recently fit that description.
That’s true. If we go the futures route, perhaps you are right.

Reactions: theguardianII

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ryan Whitney is equal parts connected and an idiot. I’m guessing he’s fallen into the same trap a lot of these guys get themselves into by not corroborating what they’re hearing or digging any deeper. Good chance he’s throwing his own thoughts into this.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Yeah. Pettersson with and without an extension are completely different assets. People would be incredibly dissapointed in what he would return without one which would probably be something like Erik Karlsson got the first time but probably without the pick ending up top 5. With an extension, the teams people are suggesting have been Anaheim, Ottawa, and Columbus. He’s not signing in those places if he wants to win.

I think we most likely lose any Pettersson trade. I get talking about trading Pettersson just in case he doesn’t want to resign. I don’t get wanting to trade him because people don’t want to pay him 11-12m and think he is only worth 10m. You just don’t trade away true players in important positions because you might have to slightly overpay them. Plus 12m is probably his market rate now the way contracts are going. The best players are now worth 13-14m instead of 12.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Well ya that’s why it’s just for fun, it won’t happen.

I don’t agree that Tkachuk is better value at 8 for 4 more year than Pettersson would be at 12 for 8 years, assuming you get last year’s Pettersson once he’s settled.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That’s true. If we go the futures route, perhaps you are right.
Canucks can go one of three ways IMO.

Try to keep a playoff team together at all costs.
Try to maximize a EP trade to help avoid a rebuild
Go for a total rebuild and use the assets to make it a short as possible.

I don’t agree that Tkachuk is better value at 8 for 4 more year than Pettersson would be at 12 for 8 years, assuming you get last year’s Pettersson once he’s settled.
Missed Dahli's report again.
This summer the Canucks offered Pettersson 8 years at 12+ mil and he then went on with Elliot Freidman about wanting to wait and no hurry. AFTER the offer was made.

Do some folks need a 2X4 to understand?

It isn't ABOUT MONEY!

Who is on this team in 2, 3 or 4 years that is here now?
31 to 35 yr old Miller, Hughes, Garland, Mikheyev, Soucy, Demko, OEL buyouts of 4.75 million and Hronek if he signs. With no young players playing scoring roles NOW in the NHL.

As an example who is on Buffalo 2, 3 or 4 years from now?
Buffalo - Dahlin, Thompson, Tuch, Power, Cozens, Samuelsson and 25 million in cap space.
This is a team that missed the playoffs by one point.
Oh ya, all those listed are within a year or two of Petey's age and younger. In a division with two teams likely to decline.

Columbus is in a better position with three teams in their division in decline making it easier to get a playoff spot.
They will have over well 35 million in cap space, next year alone the have 21 million

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Canucks can go one of three ways IMO.

Try to keep a playoff team together at all costs.
Try to maximize a EP trade to help avoid a rebuild
Go for a total rebuild and use the assets to make it a short as possible.

Missed Dahli's report again.
This summer the Canucks offered Pettersson 8 years at 12+ mil and he then went on with Elliot Freidman about wanting to wait and no hurry. AFTER the offer was made.

Do some folks need a 2X4 to understand?

It isn't ABOUT MONEY!

Who is on this team in 2, 3 or 4 years that is here now?
31 to 35 yr old Miller, Hughes, Garland, Mikheyev, Soucy, Demko, OEL buyouts of 4.75 million and Hronek if he signs. With no young players playing scoring roles NOW in the NHL.

As an example who is on Buffalo 2, 3 or 4 years from now?
Buffalo - Dahlin, Thompson, Tuch, Power, Cozens, Samuelsson and 25 million in cap space.
This is a team that missed the playoffs by one point.
Oh ya, all those listed are within a year or two of Petey's age and younger. In a division with two teams likely to decline.

Columbus is in a better position with three teams in their division in decline making it easier to get a playoff spot.
They will have over well 35 million in cap space, next year alone the have 21 million
Competent management means a lot to players. Him choosing Buffalo or CLB over Vancouver, would be possibly the dumbest thing he could do

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad