Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | The Hunt for Red June

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Yeah. Pettersson with and without an extension are completely different assets. People would be incredibly dissapointed in what he would return without one which would probably be something like Erik Karlsson got the first time but probably without the pick ending up top 5. With an extension, the teams people are suggesting have been Anaheim, Ottawa, and Columbus. He’s not signing in those places if he wants to win.

I think we most likely lose any Pettersson trade. I get talking about trading Pettersson just in case he doesn’t want to resign. I don’t get wanting to trade him because people don’t want to pay him 11-12m and think he is only worth 10m. You just don’t trade away true players in important positions because you might have to slightly overpay them. Plus 12m is probably his market rate now the way contracts are going. The best players are now worth 13-14m instead of 12.
I think those long term contracts will go the way of the Dodo bird.
For players with young families they might be favorable but without kids shorter term mean much more money.
Pettersson will be traded.
It will not seem to be a good deal for the Canucks but there are many avenues for it to be a winner for them.
The cap control right off the bat.
The return of assets, picks, prospects and players.
It will be one of the biggest trades this century. Bigger than Tkachuk.
Pettersson will go on to a team that plays for a cup 3 times over the next 6/7 years.
Benning's poison pill will take Hughes, Pettersson and Demko to cure it.
An EP trade might get the team back to a playoff contender within 2 years despite the increasing OEL buyout.

Championship teams are won by defence. That is how to build a team, from the back out. Offence puts bums in seats, defence wins championships.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Friedman said the Canucks are interested in Guentzel which is obvious. No clue what they're willing to trade.
Next years first, second and Raty (plus Mik for salary). Not sure if it’s enough, but you can trade Boeser to get a first back at the draft and re-sign Guentzel and Lindholm.

Or just watch them both walk and hope you won the cup.

I want Crosby as well in that trade

Crosby and Guentzel For EP

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Competent management means a lot to players. Him choosing Buffalo or CLB over Vancouver, would be possibly the dumbest thing he could do
And like Vancouver has been the epitome of competent management? 4 of his 6 years have been a joke. Broken promises and failures.
You think he signs because he likes Allvin or Rutherford? That his agent was born last night?
EP does not live in a vacuum, he is constantly criticized by local social media, ya something he NEVER looks at right.
How could Buffalo be worse? Weird trades? Nope. Bad contracts, nope. No cap control? Nope. Too old? Nope.
Columbus? Well they are one and half years behind the Canucks correcting their circus and now with cap control and 20 players his age. One bad contract so far.

Where are the Canucks? Cap control? Barely, they won't even be able to re-sign the players they have now for next year at reasonable raises, even with the cap increase. AND those players will be older.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Canucks can go one of three ways IMO.

Try to keep a playoff team together at all costs.
Try to maximize a EP trade to help avoid a rebuild
Go for a total rebuild and use the assets to make it a short as possible.

Missed Dahli's report again.
This summer the Canucks offered Pettersson 8 years at 12+ mil and he then went on with Elliot Freidman about wanting to wait and no hurry. AFTER the offer was made.

Do some folks need a 2X4 to understand?

It isn't ABOUT MONEY!

Who is on this team in 2, 3 or 4 years that is here now?
31 to 35 yr old Miller, Hughes, Garland, Mikheyev, Soucy, Demko, OEL buyouts of 4.75 million and Hronek if he signs. With no young players playing scoring roles NOW in the NHL.

As an example who is on Buffalo 2, 3 or 4 years from now?
Buffalo - Dahlin, Thompson, Tuch, Power, Cozens, Samuelsson and 25 million in cap space.
This is a team that missed the playoffs by one point.
Oh ya, all those listed are within a year or two of Petey's age and younger. In a division with two teams likely to decline.

Columbus is in a better position with three teams in their division in decline making it easier to get a playoff spot.
They will have over well 35 million in cap space, next year alone the have 21 million
Can you link to Dahli saying that ?

Reactions: theguardianII

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
And like Vancouver has been the epitome of competent management? 4 of his 6 years have been a joke. Broken promises and failures.
You think he signs because he likes Allvin or Rutherford? That his agent was born last night?
EP does not live in a vacuum, he is constantly criticized by local social media, ya something he NEVER looks at right.
How could Buffalo be worse? Weird trades? Nope. Bad contracts, nope. No cap control? Nope. Too old? Nope.
Columbus? Well they are one and half years behind the Canucks correcting their circus and now with cap control and 20 players his age. One bad contract so far.

Where are the Canucks? Cap control? Barely, they won't even be able to re-sign the players they have now for next year at reasonable raises, even with the cap increase. AND those players will be older.
The key to a new relationship is to bring the ex and yours old relationship into it??

It matters...look how many ex Penguins and old relationships have come here. What does this have to do with his agent?

And yet you and others persist despite what he has said about his next contract

First place and a contender

This is always a thing. It's not exclusive to Vancouver or any team being competitive

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Tkachuk for Pettersson probably not on the menu guys. The logistics just don't add up. Positionally, contracts, team goals.

You'd want Tkachuk to PLAY with Pettersson.

Sen's moving Tkachuk only happens if an unhappy Tkachuk is burning a hole in the Sens pocket. I can see the Canucks getting in on it with a willingness to trade their top prospects, Hoglander, etc. and if they could do it, they should.

CBJ going after Brady would be so disastrous. They have a such a bad history of going after big stars and it blowing up in their faces. Carter, Panarin, Laine, Gaudreau...

Last edited:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Tkachuk is the franchise.

They'd fire the entire front office and trade the entire roster before shipping him out unless he demanded a trade, in which case the entire league would know, it would not be quiet.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I still think EP40 is going to re-sign (3 or 4 years) in the summer and all of this hand wringing will have been for nothing.

But....

If Pettersson doesn't sign a multi year extension and elects to sign his QO and hit free agency, it's probably semi logical to assume that he will not negotiate an extension with an acquiring team (unless his issue is with ownership). If so, the return probably won't be what it could otherwise be.

I think Boston is a landing spot that would make sense and could see them putting together a package that probably works for us

Frederic, Zacha and Lohrei to Vancouver

EP40 to Boston

• Haha
Reactions: dez

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I don’t know if we are in on Tkachuk or not, but a couple thoughts.

- we have Lindholm and Miller so we can afford to lose Pettersson from that prospective.
- I don’t think Petey would be excited to sign in Ottawa
- not sure how we could afford Tkachuk and Petey, Miller, Hronek, Boeser and potentially Lindholm… I think you can’t
- not sure trading Boeser in season is a good idea (only player on roster that has the type of value to be a major piece and could possibly be available that isn’t Pettersson)
- I personally would want more and think Buffalo and Columbus are better trade partners and at the draft.
- if you can get Brady and move Mik and I guess Myers to make it work and then trade Boeser alor Petey at the draft… we still need a dman
- I don’t want to read Willander.. hard stop

I think this market is turning on Petey and ironically that might push him out

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well, NJ is done and dusted now. Probably should sell off some assets to add some currency for an offseason re-fresh.

The Canucks still need to add more offensive punch at ES. For a trade deadline addition, I present...Tyler Toffoli.

I watched the Devils games yesterday and this morning. Toff is slow, but that doesn't matter on the Canucks, who are a very slow team anyway and don't generate chances off the rush. Toffoli still looks effective down low and in front of the net on OZP and the PP. He's a guy that doesn't need the puck to be effective - a nice complement to either Miller or Petey.

Reactions: Vector

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Canucks will be in some big names comes TDL like guentzel but will likely be outbid

Like some have said, probably canucks come out with bottom 6 winger like Greenway and signs Kessel and add another dman like tanev or someone not on the radar yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad