Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
what are you concerns?
Carolina's system is relatively easy for defensemen to play, once they're used to it. It's man-on-man. Basically sprint and apply pressure at the puck carrier, if you're nearest. The Canes also don't have much of a zone exit strategy beyond, "hack the puck out of the zone". The forwards' job is to sprint and get the puck at that point.

Basically if you're athletic and have some length, but are otherwise limited in terms of making reads, moving the puck, or making a play under pressure, RBA's system is beneficial.

The Canucks play one of the most passive zone defenses in the league, and choosing the right time to engage is largely about making the right read. VAN's defense are also relied upon to make some kind of exit play under pressure (and when they don't, it looks like games 6 and 7 against EDM). To me, it's almost the opposite of how the Canes play in the DZ, so I have concerns around Chatfield translating his ability.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Must be frustrating they’ve done this big recruitment push on Lindholm, made what they feel is a very fair offer at 7x7, and he still won’t say.

Let’s see what “Plan B” entails. Was always a lot of tail risk involved relying so much on free agents and UFA-eligible players to build the roster.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Must be frustrating they’ve done this big recruitment push on Lindholm, made what they feel is a very fair offer at 7x7, and he still won’t say.

Let’s see what “Plan B” entails.
It's cause Lindholm knows he can get more on the open market.

There are a number of teams with cap space and a need at C.

The only thing going for Van is the ability to offer an 8th year.

Reactions: BimJenning

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's cause Lindholm knows he can get more on the open market.

There are a number of teams with cap space and a need at C.

The only thing going for Van is the ability to offer an 8th year.

I doubt that’s all of it, what’s he adding another $7-$8M over life of contract if he’s angling for 7 years at $8Mish AAV.

That’s not exactly a barn burner amount if he wanted to stay on. And yeah, the Canucks basically match his maximum UFA offer of ~$56M total contract by adding that 8th year at their current offer.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Why in the world would we want lindholm back at 7m?? I woulda given him 5m max after the season he had

FOMO. They know they’ll be hard pressed to be competitive for even a free agent of his quality. Say what you want about Lindholm, but subtracting his late season + playoff play will be a material loss, the forward UFA class is somewhat dire, and they don’t have much trade currency they want to part with.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I doubt that’s all of it, what’s he adding another $7-$8M over life of contract if he’s angling for 7 years at $8Mish AAV.

That’s not exactly a barn burner amount if he wanted to stay on. And yeah, the Canucks basically match his maximum UFA offer of ~$56M total contract by adding that 8th year at their current offer.
He also has the chance to be the #1C if he goes elsewhere.

Boston, Utah, etc.

He will never be the #1C in Van with JT and EP around.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Hah ok it’s not the end times, but is anyone else feeling this off-season could drift into unmitigated disaster. I’m getting post-bubble vibes here.

Only retain Myers out of all the UFAs, Hronek goes to arb, yikes bro.
Zero chance mgmt lets it get all the way to arbitration.

Hronek will either be re-signed or traded before then.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Zero chance mgmt lets it get all the way to arbitration.

Hronek will either be re-signed or traded before then.

I’m not convinced that if the trade offers are complete shit, the Canucks might not just swallow it. Other GMs aren’t that stupid, they know what’s up. What if your options are taking 50 cents on the dollar or going to arb?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Why in the world would we want lindholm back at 7m?? I woulda given him 5m max after the season he had
I posted this in the last thread but I guess I'll drop it here:

I'm not big into the idea of throwing a 7 year contract at a guy turning 30 in December, but I can understand the reasoning for locking Lindholm up.

- First and foremost the team's window is right now and possibly for not much longer. They're probably not too concerned about 4+ years from now.
- The flat cap era is over, so ~7M a year won't be as big of a hit later on.
- They may not be able to sign any other top 6 guys in free agency. And even if they do, there's no way of knowing if they're a good fit until they hit the ice.
- It'll be easier and cheaper to acquire a top 6 winger mid-season than a top 6 center.
- It gives them more options in the lineup. (IE. Lindholm/EP40 to wing)
- There's no other right handed centers on the team, and the UFA pool of decent righty centers is...almost non-existent. Next year also isn't great.
- It leaves the door cracked slightly open for a potential EP40 trade in the next 12 months if problems continue into next season.
- Had 10 points in 13 playoff games, 8 of which were even strength. Regular season he struggled, but it was reported he was dealing with an injury. And he was probably getting used to a new environment/linemates/etc.
- The Canucks have no good center prospects, plain and simple. No one to realistically step into the top 9 down the middle in the coming years. (Raty seems to be more of a winger)

If both Lindholm and Joshua walk I'm going to be very concerned to be honest. Hoping to replace both of their production in free agency, competing with 31 other teams, not knowing if the new guys will mesh well here, feels like it's going to end poorly...

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I’m not convinced that if the trade offers are complete shit, the Canucks might not just swallow it. Other GMs aren’t that stupid, they know what’s up. What if your options are taking 50 cents on the dollar or going to arb?
Trouble is Hronek going to arbitration and getting a 1 year deal that is $7M+.

Then he's a UFA next year.

It's entirely possible mgmt takes that risk given where the team is at.

But if he gets injured then you're f***ed.

RHD are gold. Top 2-4 RHD even more so.

Yes there are options on the FA market but there's enough teams looking to have atleast a good level of interest from a trade perspective.

So for me, mgmt does not dick around and will want clarity one way or another especially given the amount of FAs the Nucks have and the needs they need to fill.

Reactions: BimJenning

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Hah ok it’s not the end times, but is anyone else feeling this off-season could drift into unmitigated disaster. I’m getting post-bubble vibes here.

Only retain Myers out of all the UFAs, Hronek goes to arb, yikes bro.
The positive side of me says management is more than capable of figuring this all out. That said it does have the potential to be a dark offseason.

That's the beauty of it. Literally anything can happen.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
FOMO. They know they’ll be hard pressed to be competitive for even a free agent of his quality. Say what you want about Lindholm, but subtracting his late season + playoff play will be a material loss, the forward UFA class is somewhat dire, and they don’t have much trade currency they want to part with.
Biggest improvement will be from Pettersson. All this posting about finding a player that will help him improve is so odd.
Lindholm was impressive in the playoffs, 13 games.
But at 29 and wanting a 7 years deal? How many 36 year olds are impactful core players? The Nux could have two Miller and Lindholm making big bucks. Forwards just don't age as well as dmen.

The "dire" FA class make Boeser and Garland worth more than usual. There is nothing wrong with trading for younger cap controlled forwards that might need an opening to play.

The cap will make most changes.

Rutherford and especially Allvin stated this is not the team they are building around. They never expected the second round of the playoffs. Their plan is going forward.

The Canucks can get younger, bigger and faster. Pettersson and Miller have to drive their lines

Posters will moan about how can they trade away a 30+ goal scorer but they can and did and it worked out rather well didn't it? Just as an exercise what will Boeser's next contract be worth? 9 mil, more? So who do they jettison then? At 30 is Boeser going to suddenly get faster, meaner, better?

Have confidence that the system and coaching can teach younger players what they want out of them.

I would like to see Necas, Crouse, Marchenko, Voronkov on this team at forward. I do think it is possible, not likely but it could be done. If done then the next few drafts will be later picks and if those guys worked out their contracts ease the ORL buyout years.

These would not be the end though.

7 X 5/6 for Necas, Crouse on his 3rd contract 5X4, Marchenko and Voronkov their 2nd contracts 3-4 X 5/6

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Its kind of semantics. But at the end of the day, the Canucks need to acquire players that end up performing above their cap hits (and probably significantly, in some cases).
That is not true, we need the lower price acquisitions to perform above their cap. If the higher earners earn their cap that is totally fine. If we get Guentzel and he *only* performs up to what he is paid that’s great because that means we have another game breaker.
Pay the money to guys that can lift our ceiling and then get budget system guys to fill out the roster.

Reactions: racerjoe

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Welcome back! I recall you posting back here years ago with very pro Benning posts that generally incited rage. I believe that was you?
You’re welcoming back a poster you feel “incites rage"? :amazed:

Don’t let my Strangehumour mislead you friend, I’m as peaceable as the next guy.

I’ve been posting on Canuck boards under the Strangelove handle for almost 30 years now.

Here is a coincidence you might appreciate…

Around 14 years ago I had a sock named “Hodgy“ at old Central.

I swear it's true!

Sounds weird, but at the time the owner/head mod encouraged socks!

What can I say, the guy had a very twisted sense of humour indeed.

In fact, I blame/credit him for my Strangehumour.

13 years ago Central shut down and we all migrated to the Corner where socks are not allowed.

I’ve been a member at HF since its inception, although I posted as “Toe Blake” for the first 2 years.

...............................................................................................................................................

If management really wants Lindy to stick around

... $7M x 8 (front loaded, NMC for 6 years) should get it done.

There are ways of getting rid of contracts down the road if they become problems.

If you can’t/won’t re-sign Lindy, bring back Blueger at $2.2M x 3.

This is Joshua’s big chance to get paid, he will no doubt want to go UFA.

Oh well, Tocchet molded him in his own image (as much as possible) and can do it with others.

Mikheyev will get dumped somehow or bought out.

Hronek likely gets re-signed to a contract similar to Lindy (above).

Maybe a slightly higher AAV… $7.5M-per?

Zadorov probably gets re-signed at $5M x 5.

Myers probably re-signed at $3M x 2.

Silovs gets his first one-way contract (near minimum).

Lafferty, Cole, Friedman, and DeSmith (and Joshua) all walk.

There will of course be some trades and UFA signings.

Or something like that.

All of this in my extremely humble opinion of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Jim furiously erasing names and trying to carefully scrawl new names in, concentrating with his tongue stuck out.

Benning off season be like:

Screenshot_20240610-193605.png

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

trading hronek is going to be a disaster imo. i'm not sure signing him to what he wants will be good either tho

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Trouble is Hronek going to arbitration and getting a 1 year deal that is $7M+.

Then he's a UFA next year.

It's entirely possible mgmt takes that risk given where the team is at.

But if he gets injured then you're f***ed.

RHD are gold. Top 2-4 RHD even more so.

Yes there are options on the FA market but there's enough teams looking to have atleast a good level of interest from a trade perspective.

So for me, mgmt does not dick around and will want clarity one way or another especially given the amount of FAs the Nucks have and the needs they need to fill.

Trouble is Hronek has all the leverage, either they meet his demands or he's happy to go to arb. Trading him is in the Canucks corner and whether they can get adequate value in the trade. In fact, all the FAs have all the leverage and nobody seems to be in the mood to do any favours except for Myers. I don't think anyone is particularly down on Vancouver, they're just ambivalent to signing here.

And yes, I'd agree management may view arbitration as a superior outcome to a shit trade.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I agree with managements decision with 7M max for Lindholm. That was my highest number as well.

Zadorov, Myers and Blueger should be signed.

Hronek can either let go of his “upper range” as Walsh likes to say and meet in the middle - or go to arb and take the 1 year deal and send him packing at the deadline to the highest bidder.

In the meantime, the focus should be dumping Mikheyev or else buyout.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
This is the best offseason in ages to fix RD and so the threat of Hronek's arbitration and walking to free agency has the best solutions currently available that we could possibly hope for.

If we land a big fish RD then going to arbitration with Hronek would be perfectly fine for us. Another year to assess him and this time without the insane PDO bender or getting stapled to Norris Hughes and if he earns it then we pay up. If he doesn't then we're not stuck with a crippling 8 year deal that he fluked into through PDO and coattail riding.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I see they hired Jason krog as a skills and skating coach. I can't rmmbr if he was ever a good skater lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad