Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Drance probably spinning that report as nothing because Green is his boy

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The info is publicly available but that doesn't mean it's legal to scrape it from Capfriendly.

With the Caps shutting out the rest of the league, any team that doesn't have easy access to the contract info will be at a disadvantage. Hopefully our intrepid Canucks media are working their sources to find out if the Canucks have their own database. All this begs the question as to why the NHL doesn't have such a database in the first place. It seems like an obvious resource to provide.

I like cap friendly like most people here but surely this can't really be a problem for any team to simply copy all the numbers into their own spreadsheet. Probably better and more efficient that way anyway as you could just list everyone alphabetically, by team, by salary by contract length, ect. Anyone who can type with half assed excel skills should be able to copy the entire database in several hours. There are what ... 900 players in the league? Pay someone a couple hundred bucks for data entry and boom. Cap friendly at your fingertips. Of course they would have to figure out how to add all new contracts in there.

As others have mentioned seems like someone will jump in and fill that void with a similar platform ... although it'll probably be a subscription service. Ugg I hate subscriptions for everything these days.

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I wouldn't give him the same caphit but I have no problem giving young UFAs long-term deals to keep the cap hit low.
I imagine most ppl and teams would agree with that premise.

Keep Joshua or Blueger for 4x2.5 or whatever all day, but as we've seen with garland and mik, a million or two overpaid and the asset approaches worthless rapidly.

Chatfield is Juulsen.
Bottom pair physical dman prone to occasional bones and pizzas, their salary is vital to their value.

Any team thats not tocchet/brindamour that signs joshua or Chatfield to 5x3.5M + is going to be talking buyout within a few seasons.
More pay, more responsibilities, more moving up the lineup, worse matchups etc and said player(s) suddenly looks like mikhayev or justin holl.

Reactions: Nick Lang

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Everything about that was so funny. It's like they penalized Ottawa because the NHL is a multi billion dollar organization that can't keep a pretty Excel file up to date
Yep. If anyone thinks the NHL or many NHL organizations are "way more advanced" than the public in this kind of realm...yeah right lmao.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
i was thinking about this the other day and we'll see how this all shakes basically at midnight of free agency. annoyingly these guys work until the very last minute and up their offer. which is basically how disciplined negotiations are supposed to go but you'd like some more certainty than this.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Its kind of semantics. But at the end of the day, the Canucks need to acquire players that end up performing above their cap hits (and probably significantly, in some cases). And that's not necessarily easy to do. And I don' think this management really has a long track record of success in this department. They did well in the past with Bleuger, Suter, Cole and Joshua, but that doesn't mean they will continue to do well. Its possible that everything sort of went well last year and that we don't see the same kind of successful off season this year. There is lots of variability in player acquisitions and management's sample size is still quite small.
Fair enough but successful track records have to start somewhere and this past offseason (the first where they were able to free up capspace and install their own coach) has bought some good will, at least in my eyes. I suspect that the most difficult step was to implement a system and for the core players to buy in. Once that happens, there are many complementary players that can fit the bill provided that they are put in the correct role, one that they can excel in.

Reactions: Nopefully and Hodgy

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Fair enough but successful track records have to start somewhere and this past offseason (the first where they were able to free up capspace and install their own coach) has bought some good will, at least in my eyes. I suspect that the most difficult step was to implement a system and for the core players to buy in. Once that happens, there are many complementary players that can fit the bill provided that they are put in the correct role, one that they can excel in.
For sure, I am hoping for the best and am very cautiously optimistic. I just think people should understand that what they need to do is quite difficult, and that they don't have a long track record of success in terms of doing this difficult thing.

Reactions: Diversification

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I understand walking away from UFAs if the price is to high but isn't every UFA expecting a payday with the rising cap?

I don't really understand the strategy here. Maybe land a few bargain contracts?

Blockbuster trade perhaps?

If we are letting everyone walk we are entering the draft with almost the most cap space in the entire league!
I think the strategy is to try to keep cap flexibility and hopefully they can leverage it to get some bargains on the trade or free agent market. No point of rushing to sign pending UFA’s until you have a good read on the market. Hey look at the BlueJays the tried to jump the market were aggressive early, spent all there money and were not able to take advantage of the bargains that were available later on.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'd throw something like 3 years x $2.5M in front of Heinen and see if he bites, especially if Joshua walks. However, he may be able to get like, Evan Rodrigues money.
I've suggested that previously for Heinen. It's not far off his AFP projection and he's a hometown guy. Probably with the somewhat unsettled career he has, just a contract with term would be enticing.

He's does a lot of things reasonably well (forechecking, transition play, setting up shots). He played pretty well with Pastrnak in Boston. He's a decent secondary top-six option too.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I imagine most ppl and teams would agree with that premise.

Keep Joshua or Blueger for 4x2.5 or whatever all day, but as we've seen with garland and mik, a million or two overpaid and the asset approaches worthless rapidly.

Chatfield is Juulsen.
Bottom pair physical dman prone to occasional bones and pizzas, their salary is vital to their value.

Any team thats not tocchet/brindamour that signs joshua or Chatfield to 5x3.5M + is going to be talking buyout within a few seasons.
More pay, more responsibilities, more moving up the lineup, worse matchups etc and said player(s) suddenly looks like mikhayev or justin holl.

Yeah I would be wary of Chatfield as well. He's a low event player, doesn't get way out of position like Juulsen though, who was steady in a low event system. I don't really see much upside here, nothing offence wise either (although he did have 8 goals this year). He's a steady bottom pairing defender, who doesn't have great size or a noticeably physical presence. I would way rather get Myers on a short contract and spend money on a better 2RD that moves the needle.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Chatfield is Juulsen.

Hilarious, and i actually like Juulsen. Chatfield is closer to Chris Tanev than he is to Noah Juulsen. He has A+ skating and is positionally sound. He's nothing like Juulsen.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
lol, incredible thing to read. Green doesn't have time for projects but the only organizations that will hire him to coach are projects themselves.

Good luck, Sens fans.
That's pretty wild. Chatfield got his cup of Canucks coffee in the disastrous 'empty arena' season that followed the false optimism of the bubble playoffs. If ever there was an occasion for the organization to have time for projects, that was it.
Hilarious, and i actually like Juulsen. Chatfield is closer to Chris Tanev than he is to Noah Juulsen. He has A+ skating and is positionally sound. He's nothing like Juulsen.
To be fair, during his brief sojourn in Vancouver Chatfield was much closer to Juulsen than Tanev. However his foot speed always stood out and he developed tremendously since we saw him with the Canucks.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I've suggested that previously for Heinen. It's not far off his AFP projection and he's a hometown guy. Probably with the somewhat unsettled career he has, just a contract with term would be enticing.

He's does a lot of things reasonably well (forechecking, transition play, setting up shots). He played pretty well with Pastrnak in Boston. He's a decent secondary top-six option too.

Yeah, EvolvingHockey has him at 4 x $3.5M though, which I could see him potentially getting somewhere, hopefully not here.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I understand walking away from UFAs if the price is to high but isn't every UFA expecting a payday with the rising cap?

I don't really understand the strategy here. Maybe land a few bargain contracts?

Blockbuster trade perhaps?

If we are letting everyone walk we are entering the draft with almost the most cap space in the entire league!
Saving their cap space for Guentzel and a Tanev reunion. Then we re-up Zadorov and Myers and use Hronek trade assets to get another middle 6er centre. The bottom 6 will be young guys with potential no contract over 2 million there besides one who can jump into top 6. Who knows just my 2 cents. Can't wait for some actual news.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad