Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well this site seems to work for that eh?

This is amazing considering it's 2024 right?
I mean, we found out last year that the NHL couldn't figure out how to make like a Word Doc listing every NTC each player has.

So, it's not really that surprising.

While sad to see it go—the basis of that website shouldn’t be that difficult to recreate for an enterprising party.

The biggest issue would be having too many different parties trying to create the same site and flooding the marketplace.

I’m a bit surprised that the Capitals felt the need to purchase it. I thought for sure that each NHL team had their own internal resources to manage their salary caps and take into account different cap scenarios.
I don't think so.

A lot of these NHL docu-series you'll see clips of GMs with Capfriendly open on their computer.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Some of the rumoured contracts for Joshua are getting a bit absurd, Sat said there were teams ready to offer him more than $4M AAV. Think he's probably gone.

at 28 he pretty much has this one chance to make his retirement bones. how many millions do you leave on the table to get to play with garland next year.

I think it’s pretty clear. They are going to buy him out if they don’t find a trade for him

what would chicago squeeze out of us i wonder.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I like Joshua but yeah $4M AAV is too pricey, but I’ll be happy to see him get paid since he’s a late bloomer and seems like a good guy
Work out a deal with another team, let his agent talk to the other team about an extension and see if they can get something in return then. Return won't be great, probably a reclamation project but better than nothing???

Reactions: Nucker101

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I like Joshua but yeah $4M AAV is too pricey, but I’ll be happy to see him get paid since he’s a late bloomer and seems like a good guy

Considering the rumour is the Canucks think he's worth something in the $2.5M AAV range, I think they'd tend to agree with you.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If Joshua is gone and they are looking for a replacement, I wouldn't be shocked if they go after Carl Grundstrom. Good chance he's not qualified by the Kings, and very physical. Has far more experience than Joshua did, isn't as big, and hasn't been used on the PK at all but he'd be an intriguing low-cost replacement if they are going with the same philosophy.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
If Joshua is gone and they are looking for a replacement, I wouldn't be shocked if they go after Carl Grundstrom. Good chance he's not qualified by the Kings, and very physical. Has far more experience than Joshua did, isn't as big, and hasn't been used on the PK at all but he'd be an intriguing low-cost replacement if they are going with the same philosophy.

Good callout. Other cheap size on the UFA market this summer: Kevin Stenlund, Christian Fischer.

Also available: Justin Bailey and Brendan Gaunce :biglaugh:

I'd also be willing to take a flyer on Tanner Jeannot and see if he bounces back here.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Sounds more and more like they'll end up giving Hronek his payday and let pretty much every notable UFA walk. Maybe retain Blueger. If 7x7 doesn't work for Lindholm he's probably looking at, or close to, $8M AAV, and Zadorov's ask is pretty known at this point.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
But that data that they’ve collected—it’s all publicly available. Any other team or party could scrape that data from the website from now to July 5th and have all the same info as what Washington has.
The info is publicly available but that doesn't mean it's legal to scrape it from Capfriendly.

With the Caps shutting out the rest of the league, any team that doesn't have easy access to the contract info will be at a disadvantage. Hopefully our intrepid Canucks media are working their sources to find out if the Canucks have their own database. All this begs the question as to why the NHL doesn't have such a database in the first place. It seems like an obvious resource to provide.

Reactions: quat

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I understand walking away from UFAs if the price is to high but isn't every UFA expecting a payday with the rising cap?

I don't really understand the strategy here. Maybe land a few bargain contracts?

Blockbuster trade perhaps?

If we are letting everyone walk we are entering the draft with almost the most cap space in the entire league!

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
The info is publicly available but that doesn't mean it's legal to scrape it from Capfriendly.

With the Caps shutting out the rest of the league, any team that doesn't have easy access to the contract info will be at a disadvantage. Hopefully our intrepid Canucks media are working their sources to find out if the Canucks have their own database. All this begs the question as to why the NHL doesn't have such a database in the first place. It seems like an obvious resource to provide.

i'm not even sure it's all publically available. teams generally announce contracts but not things like bonuses or ntc/nmc's. i think there's a fair bit of 'reporting' happening with capfriendly. they're not just getting contract details from twitter

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
I mean, we found out last year that the NHL couldn't figure out how to make like a Word Doc listing every NTC each player has.

So, it's not really that surprising.

I don't think so.

A lot of these NHL docu-series you'll see clips of GMs with Capfriendly open on their computer.
Everything about that was so funny. It's like they penalized Ottawa because the NHL is a multi billion dollar organization that can't keep a pretty Excel file up to date

Reactions: bossram

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
i'm not even sure it's all publically available. teams generally announce contracts but not things like bonuses or ntc/nmc's. i think there's a fair bit of 'reporting' happening with capfriendly. they're not just getting contract details from twitter
that info coming from the agents/PA?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I understand walking away from UFAs if the price is to high but isn't every UFA expecting a payday with the rising cap?

I don't really understand the strategy here. Maybe land a few bargain contracts?

Blockbuster trade perhaps?

If we are letting everyone walk we are entering the draft with almost the most cap space in the entire league!

I suspect they're still holding out hope for Guentzel despite the reports he wants to play in the US. Wouldn't be overly surprised to see them trade for his rights, actually.

Outside of that, I think you sign Dillon, spend a bit more upgrading the right-side defense via free agency, and sign a couple of the cheaper wingers on the market for depth.

I don't think they have the pieces available for an impact trade given what the rumoured ask is for guys like Necas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad