Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I can understand both sides but Van is gonna want to be competitive. That means having a good right side and not 1st round picks that are years away.
Oh totally, I don't disagree with that; there is no conceivable pathway to them starting the season without a top tier RHD playing beside Quinn Hughes. either: Roy, Demello, Tanev, via UFA, someone out of left field via trade or if they can't find a fit they like better, they'll bite the bullet and sign Hronek to a massive extension (not like this would be a horrible outcome) I could also see them doing something like Tanev with Soucy and taking a chance on someone like Jalen Chatfield to play with Hughes at ES. A Chatfield and Hughes pair would be really interesting IMO. I would see them going down a road like this is they sign a big 1st line UFA (Reinhart/Guentzel) and need to cut costs on the back end.

My original point was only really that i didn't think he'd be the first domino to fall because there's really no pressure to get anything done until arbitration, which happens weeks after the free agent frenzy has come and gone.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
While sad to see it go—the basis of that website shouldn’t be that difficult to recreate for an enterprising party.

The biggest issue would be having too many different parties trying to create the same site and flooding the marketplace.

I’m a bit surprised that the Capitals felt the need to purchase it. I thought for sure that each NHL team had their own internal resources to manage their salary caps and take into account different cap scenarios.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am not saying i am fickle but at this point i don't recall the name of the website capfriendly replaced which i really liked and was very sad to see go at the time.

Reactions: Lindgren

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
The surprising implication of the capfriendly buyout is that there is not something equivalent internally for the league or front offices.
It’s quite baffling that billion dollar+ franchises don’t invest in this. Even by just hiring a few talented data/engineer FTEs to develop and maintain a dedicated system, that would cost so much less than buying out an entire system for millions.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It’s quite baffling that billion dollar+ franchises don’t invest in this. Even by just hiring a few talented data/engineer FTEs to develop and maintain a dedicated system, that would cost so much less than buying out an entire system for millions.
And pissing off fans league wide in the process. If anything they should let the public version stay

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
i am not saying i am fickle but at this point i don't recall the name of the website capfriendly replaced which i really liked and was very sad to see go at the time.
CapGeek. Now you can remember it and all the good times you had!

In other news good thing Benning ain't a GM anymore because he'd be screwed without Capfriendly!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Very bad news. Capfriendly will be gone July 5th

"After the transaction officially closes, the website will go dark."

They bought the API, the website is collateral. Add me to the list of those surprised more teams don't do this in-house. Nice bit of work by the guys who started the site. Free market, good for them. Given the outcome, I'd expect something similar to pop-up rather shortly. Current group will probably have a non-compete, if most of them aren't hired by Washington.

Guess this was dollars-to-dollars materially cheaper than the Capitals building their own framework.

Reactions: wetcoast

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the website is (mostly) worthless. the capitals are buying the data

there's no central contract database for the nhl. you have to phone up the league and ask someone to pull the contract for you or ask your fellow gms or agents for contract info

Reactions: Rotang

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
In other news good thing Benning ain't a GM anymore because he'd be screwed without Capfriendly!
Actually, Benning turned his office walls into a capfriendly of sorts

... a year before capfriendly was founded.

He had all the NHL team rosters up, with 700 player names and salaries.

I suppose capgeek and NHLnumbers may have been around at the time

... but what if the computers went down?

Or maybe Jimmy didn't know how to operate computers? :huh:

Anyhoo, who needs computers when you have walls!

Here he is in his office in August 2014:

images

Say what you will about Jim Benning, but he was a hard worker...

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

images

Big stalker vibes.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

images

I wonder how often he updated that. Did he factor in recalls and reassignments to the minors, waivers, trades, etc…

I wonder how long he spent at that wall with that marker.

• Haha
Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder how often he updated that. Did he factor in recalls and reassignments to the minors, waivers, trades, etc…

I wonder how long he spent at that wall with that marker
... and the whiteout.

Dunno, but I get the feel he worked hard and constantly on that wall.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Mikheyev.

If not, have a feeling it’s Garland unfortunately.
Garland makes more sense as a draft time maneuver, unfortunately. Could see him getting them back into the second round.

I can't imagine anyone taking on Mikheyev until after free agency... Draft time you're only trading for Mikheyev if you're getting picks to take him... And Canucks don't have any of those.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

images

It’s eerily similar to seeing photos of Einstein’s office when he was working on his theory of relativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad