Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I understand walking away from UFAs if the price is to high but isn't every UFA expecting a payday with the rising cap?

I don't really understand the strategy here. Maybe land a few bargain contracts?

Blockbuster trade perhaps?

If we are letting everyone walk we are entering the draft with almost the most cap space in the entire league!
probably don't know what their strategy is until we see signings.. I think our actual signings won't be leaked until like a couple days before UFA day.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
i don't know where they get it. as far as i can tell they have some sort of source though because that stuff is rarely announced

From what I recall, they have access to every contract & trade when it's officially filed with the NHL. How or why, I don't remember and couldn't look it up but that's how they get their info.

My guess that the NHL does have a place where all these transactions are uploaded and they are able to scrape it as new files are added.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good callout. Other cheap size on the UFA market this summer: Kevin Stenlund, Christian Fischer.

Also available: Justin Bailey and Brendan Gaunce :biglaugh:

I'd also be willing to take a flyer on Tanner Jeannot and see if he bounces back here.
Just looking at the group VI free agents and Brett Murray is a big guy who’s put up some decent AHL numbers, anyone know anything about him? Otto Koivula is another big guy, but again, don’t know anything about him.

It will be very hard to find the next Dakota Joshua really, kinda have to find a guy other teams have given up on and hope you can turn them around.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
From what I recall, they have access to every contract & trade when it's officially filed with the NHL. How or why, I don't remember and couldn't look it up but that's how they get their info.

My guess that the NHL does have a place where all these transactions are uploaded and they are able to scrape it as new files are added.

yeah this is the part that is confusing because teams claim this "API" doesn't exist. i wouldn't be too surprised if it does and some teams just lack the sophistication to use it though

(it also doesn't really make sense to acquire capfriendly if it does exist. it can't be more than a few weeks work to replicated the utility of capfriendly with a couple contract developers)

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If Joshua is gone and they are looking for a replacement, I wouldn't be shocked if they go after Carl Grundstrom. Good chance he's not qualified by the Kings, and very physical. Has far more experience than Joshua did, isn't as big, and hasn't been used on the PK at all but he'd be an intriguing low-cost replacement if they are going with the same philosophy.
Grundstrom and Kostin are my two fav underrated adds.

Both are going to be better than Joshua in the right situation (here,Carolina, Florida etc), with Jeannot/Hagel like break out season potential.

I would also take the flyer on Jeannot if available for cheap too.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

RE Krog: AHL legend. I remember always wanting him to get called up and explode with the big team

Soon the Canucks will have half as many coaches signed as there are players to coach.

How long does it take to ask a Agent what they will accept or are both parties still in the, "I won't phone you and you won't phone me stage".

Running out of time Jim.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
yeah this is the part that is confusing because teams claim this "API" doesn't exist. i wouldn't be too surprised if it does and some teams just lack the sophistication to use it though

(it also doesn't really make sense to acquire capfriendly if it does exist. it can't be more than a few weeks work to replicated the utility of capfriendly with a couple contract developers)

I'm curious if, on the NHL's end, there's no sorting or search function. So a contract gets uploaded and that's that. There's a few different reasons why it would be this way but pretty much all of them make everyone look antiquated.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Jalen Chatfield would be an interesting reunion. Pushes Juulsen to 7D which would be nice, but what would his AAV look like?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I'm curious if, on the NHL's end, there's no sorting or search function. So a contract gets uploaded and that's that. There's a few different reasons why it would be this way but pretty much all of them make everyone look antiquated.

this is probably the case but if the data is structured and regular it should be trivial to make your own searchable database. it could be the case the data is not structured and regular though and is literally like uploaded pdf copies of the contracts and the capfriendly secret sauce is just being really fast at parsing and interpreting those contracts

Jalen Chatfield would be an interesting reunion. Pushes Juulsen to 7D which would be nice, but what would his AAV look like?

he's looking for the mayfield contract imo

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Chatfield:
-wasn't working out with Travis Green
-will have a tonne of interest as a UFA; including Canucks
-Hurricanes trying to re-sign him; Brind'Amour likes him a lot
-Green didn't have time for projects

Joshua:
-has heard there will be tremendous interest as a UFA

Zadorov:
-very quiet; no progress, negotiating, nor offers
-Milstein upset with members in the media reporting that they are close to a deal

Myers:
-continue to talk to him; talks are taking place

Canucks:
-a lot of balls in the air; working on a lot of things
-trying to get rid of bad contracts
-trying to make some trades
-none of the pending UFAs have informed the Canucks they will go to July 1st
-not hearing of any significant progress with any pending UFA

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Chatfield:
-wasn't working out with Travis Green
-will have a tonne of interest as a UFA; including Canucks
-Hurricanes trying to re-sign him; Brind'Amour likes him a lot
-Green didn't have time for projects

Joshua:
-has heard there will be tremendous interest as a UFA

Zadorov:
-very quiet; no progress, negotiating, nor offers
-Milstein upset with members in the media reporting that they are close to a deal

Myers:
-continue to talk to him; talks are taking place

Canucks:
-a lot of balls in the air; working on a lot of things
-trying to get rid of bad contracts
-trying to make some trades
-none of the pending UFAs have informed the Canucks they will go to July 1st
-not hearing of any significant progress with any pending UFA

What a nice feeling it is to trust management and not have a feeling of impending doom every offseason.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
What the Canucks are experiencing with their UFAs is a reality of trying to do a re-tool type rebuild. We did well on the first stage of the re-tool, which is acquiring good players at good acquisition costs, but the reality is, players that have been acquired and not developed within your system are going to be less likely to take any home town discounts when they become FAs. And we are seeing that with all of our free agents (Hronek, Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua, Blueger, Cole). These guys don't have long term loyalty to our organization and you can't really blame them for not taking a "home town discount" for a team and place that has been their home for less than a year in most of the cases. Again, this has always been the reality, and unfortunately you can't afford to just sign all these players at top dollar. You won't have a competitive team if you do. So you basically have to let a decent number of them walk and the rinse and repeat the first step of trying to re-acquire replacement players which in and of itself isn't any sort of guaranteed outcome.

The one really unique player is Joshua though. You could argue he was kind of home grown, to an extent, and probably does feel some loyalty to the team. But given his age, career earnings and potential new contract, it just isn't reasonably in any sense to expect him to take any discount on his contract with the Canucks. So for different reasons he's basically in the same group as the others.

Overall, the Canucks are pretty f***ed this summer and are going to have to hit some home run professional scouting acquisitions (whether through trade or free agency) to both replace the departing free agents but also improve the team. It's definitely possible, and management did a great job last summer, but I also think this is a very big task and I'm less confident than others in terms of this management's ability to pull this off as I think the odds are against them and you can only hit so many home runs.

But it certainly will be entertaining.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Ya I have zero issue walking away from every UFA except Joshua, I would like him re-signed and to continue playing with Garland.

Reactions: wonton15

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Overall, the Canucks are pretty f***ed this summer and are going to have to hit some home run professional scouting acquisitions (whether through trade or free agency) to both replace the departing free agents but also improve the team. It's definitely possible, and management did a great job last summer, but I also think this is a very big task and I'm less confident than others in terms of this management's ability to pull this off as I think the odds are against them and you can only hit so many home runs.

Do they need to hit home runs though? How much of it was the Canucks finding a player that other teams missed vs. identifying players that fit the system of play they wanted to implement? Because I would argue that the latter is more like a bunch of singles and doubles and that there were other players, if given the chance to play in this system, that would similarly thrive. That would be like how the Lightning and Bruins maintained competitive teams for as long as they have (a rotating roster of shrewdly depth additions built around a strong core).

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
What the Canucks are experiencing with their UFAs is a reality of trying to do a re-tool type rebuild. We did well on the first stage of the re-tool, which is acquiring good players at good acquisition costs, but the reality is, players that have been acquired and not developed within your system are going to be less likely to take any home town discounts when they become FAs. And we are seeing that with all of our free agents (Hronek, Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua, Blueger, Cole). These guys don't have long term loyalty to our organization and you can't really blame them for not taking a "home town discount" for a team and place that has been their home for less than a year in most of the cases. Again, this has always been the reality, and unfortunately you can't afford to just sign all these players at top dollar. You won't have a competitive team if you do. So you basically have to let a decent number of them walk and the rinse and repeat the first step of trying to re-acquire replacement players which in and of itself isn't any sort of guaranteed outcome.

The one really unique player is Joshua though. You could argue he was kind of home grown, to an extent, and probably does feel some loyalty to the team. But given his age, career earnings and potential new contract, it just isn't reasonably in any sense to expect him to take any discount on his contract with the Canucks. So for different reasons he's basically in the same group as the others.

Mostly agreed, but want to push back on the hometown discount part. It has been reported Zadorov and Joshua would both take less to stay here... we just don't know if less will be enough to keep them.

Either way exciting times.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Agree 100% with @Hodgy

I want them to keep Blueger and Joshua if it’s in the 2.2x2 and 3.5x5 ranges. Myers 2.75x1. But those are all essentially my max offers.

Lindholm, Zadorov - not even worth discussing at 8x7 & 5x6

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Do they need to hit home runs though? How much of it was the Canucks finding a player that other teams missed vs. identifying players that fit the system of play they wanted to implement? Because I would argue that the latter is more like a bunch of singles and doubles and that there were other players, if given the chance to play in this system, that would similarly thrive. That would be like how the Lightning and Bruins maintained competitive teams for as long as they have (a rotating roster of shrewdly depth additions built around a strong core).

Its kind of semantics. But at the end of the day, the Canucks need to acquire players that end up performing above their cap hits (and probably significantly, in some cases). And that's not necessarily easy to do. And I don' think this management really has a long track record of success in this department. They did well in the past with Bleuger, Suter, Cole and Joshua, but that doesn't mean they will continue to do well. Its possible that everything sort of went well last year and that we don't see the same kind of successful off season this year. There is lots of variability in player acquisitions and management's sample size is still quite small.

Mostly agreed, but want to push back on the hometown discount part. It has been reported Zadorov and Joshua would both take less to stay here... we just don't know if less will be enough to keep them.

Either way exciting times.

Ya, that's fair. Although we don't really know if either is actually willing to take a home town discounts, and lots of it is probably just leaked to the media to make the player look favourable. Like, Milstein has said Zadorov is willing to accept a certain dollar/tern contract, and he has opined in his sole discretion that such contract is a home town discount. In reality, who knows if it is, and who knows if the Cauncks agree with that.

I kind of doubt Joshua would accept one unless it was the smalleest most immaterial discount.

Agree 100% with @Hodgy

I want them to keep Blueger and Joshua if it’s in the 2.2x2 and 3.5x5 ranges. Myers 2.75x1. But those are all essentially my max offers.

Lindholm, Zadorov - not even worth discussing at 8x7 & 5x6

I actually forgot to mentioned Myers, but he helps prove my point. He seems to be the only player really willing to take a home town discount, and surprise surprise, he's played here for years.

Reactions: Peen and Nick Lang
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad