Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Carolina's system is relatively easy for defensemen to play, once they're used to it. It's man-on-man. Basically sprint and apply pressure at the puck carrier, if you're nearest. The Canes also don't have much of a zone exit strategy beyond, "hack the puck out of the zone". The forwards' job is to sprint and get the puck at that point.

Basically if you're athletic and have some length, but are otherwise limited in terms of making reads, moving the puck, or making a play under pressure, RBA's system is beneficial.

The Canucks play one of the most passive zone defenses in the league, and choosing the right time to engage is largely about making the right read. VAN's defense are also relied upon to make some kind of exit play under pressure (and when they don't, it looks like games 6 and 7 against EDM). To me, it's almost the opposite of how the Canes play in the DZ, so I have concerns around Chatfield translating his ability.
Not sure i buy that it's easier to play man than zone, or that a defender who has demonstrated an ability to play man won't be effective in a zone or hybrid system. I get that there is uncertainty until he does it though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Not sure i buy that it's easier to play man than zone, or that a defender who has demonstrated an ability to play man won't be effective in a zone or hybrid system. I get that there is uncertainty until he does it though.
I don't know if man-on-man is "easier", but it simplifies the decision tree for defensemen. You just always engage. The Canucks' system is far more passive (pure "zone" D), and they rely on everyone engaging/battling for a 50/50 puck at the right time (i.e. making a read). Because Chatfield has only played in Carolina's system successfully, I'm not sure if he really is good at making reads, or just excels in RBA's system because he's pretty athletic and rangy, so he can close DZ gaps quickly. It's not easier if the players (defensemen in particular) are slow, not agile, or too small-ish to win battles.

RBA's system also puts zero responsibility on their defensemen to make a possession-driving exit. It's just hack, hack, hack it out. Can Chatfield make some plays, especially under pressure? We don't know. You don't see it. His career track record doesn't suggest this.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I can see it now...

Arbitration leads to Hronek getting a 6.5 mil x 1 year contract where he has a misrable year and proceeds to get hurt again leading to a John Klingberg situation.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
FOMO. They know they’ll be hard pressed to be competitive for even a free agent of his quality. Say what you want about Lindholm, but subtracting his late season + playoff play will be a material loss, the forward UFA class is somewhat dire, and they don’t have much trade currency they want to part with.
The center UFA market is really bad. But honestly I don't think it's that hard to replace Lindholm's "quality", other than being a natural center. He wasn't a world beater production-wise, or play-driver. He was just a competent guy who could actually play...which looked incredible relative to some of the other guys (*cough Mikheyev/Lafferty cough*) they were using in the top-nine.

His actual playing ability is like run-of-the-mill middle-six guy at this point. Committing $7x7 to that is crazy. They can actually replace that for cheaper.

Reactions: Chiripa20

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I posted this in the last thread but I guess I'll drop it here:

If both Lindholm and Joshua walk I'm going to be very concerned to be honest. Hoping to replace both of their production in free agency, competing with 31 other teams, not knowing if the new guys will mesh well here, feels like it's going to end poorly...
That's a very good summary and is missing several other positives.

Lindholm was overall excellent here, especially after some time to adjust.

Posts calling him a 5m player, a '3C' or on a steep decline are clown takes full stop.

7x7 is a no brainer and will be a deal within 18 months, it's naive at best to think we wouldn't've offered the eighth year tbh.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That's a very good summary and is missing several other positives.

Lindholm was overall excellent here, especially after some time to adjust.

Posts calling him a 5m player, a '3C' or on a steep decline are clown takes full stop.

7x7 is a no brainer and will be a deal within 18 months, it's naive at best to think we wouldn't've offered the eighth year tbh.

Overall doesn’t mean what you want it to mean here. Overall, as in accounting for the entirety of the games played, he was average to poor. He had a good playoffs but wasn’t a line driver.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Overall doesn’t mean what you want it to mean here. Overall, as in accounting for the entirety of the games played, he was average to poor. He had a good playoffs but wasn’t a line driver.
Average to poor is a joke man sry.

With context, he was excellent.

He's been a borderline 1C his entire career, and we primarily played him here with borderline top six players. He's never been a line driver, he's always been an excellent 2WAY player.

No reason to think that wont continue.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I can see it now...

Arbitration leads to Hronek getting a 6.5 mil x 1 year contract where he has a misrable year and proceeds to get hurt again leading to a John Klingberg situation.
Lindholms agent was Klingbergs back when he turned down his big contract. Lindholm has now turned down 8x8 and 7x7, coming off his worst statical year since 17-18. Haha.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hah ok it’s not the end times, but is anyone else feeling this off-season could drift into unmitigated disaster. I’m getting post-bubble vibes here.

Only retain Myers out of all the UFAs, Hronek goes to arb, yikes bro.
I'd need to watch the clip since this is Taj and his definition of "ripping" can't be trusted. But if this is what really happened then Rick saying this is going to arbitration might just be Rick doubling down out of spite because he's annoyed by Walsh's comments so I'm not going to take too much out of this either way

Reactions: ameselare

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The center UFA market is really bad. But honestly I don't think it's that hard to replace Lindholm's "quality", other than being a natural center. He wasn't a world beater production-wise, or play-driver. He was just a competent guy who could actually play...which looked incredible relative to some of the other guys (*cough Mikheyev/Lafferty cough*) they were using in the top-nine.

His actual playing ability is like run-of-the-mill middle-six guy at this point. Committing $7x7 to that is crazy. They can actually replace that for cheaper.

It's more the question of replacing that quality of minutes (19+) in the playoffs. Maybe Pettersson rebounds and it isn't an issue, but those guys were pretty much equal in minutes played and Lindholm took tougher minutes. The forward market is pretty barren this year outside of Guentzel and Reinhart (who I don't think we're getting).

I can see why management is pursuing Lindholm, I really do not think they even get his quality in those minutes with anyone out of UFA, especially over a full season assuming his level of play in the playoffs was representative of what he'd provide moving forward. Given they don't want to give up the top two prospects, I also think their prospects of acquiring someone through trade to provide that quality is grim.

They are basically fighting a battle to try not to take a step back in the regular season next year, which is going to be a very tough task if all these UFAs walk outside of Myers. Free agency is not going to provide the answers, and they don't have much trade currency.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Food for thought.

Anyone ever think about drafting Benson over Willander still?

While I am happy with the pick it also sure would be nice to have a top 6 winger penciled in for next season on an ELC.
Lekk factored into the equation as well.

Mgmt clearly thinks Willander can be with the team shortly.

Probably not next year but likely the year after.

And RHD are worth their weight in gold.

So as much as I loved Benson, you understand the Willander pick. It’s just whether he turns out to be the player they thought he will be.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Food for thought.

While I am happy with the pick it also sure would be nice to have a top 6 winger penciled in for next season on an ELC.
I think when you see what some of these defenseman get in free agency you will be happy to have Willander for cheap the next number of years.

Much easier to find cheap solutions on the wing since the market is usually pretty saturated at that position. .

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Food for thought.

If we trade Hronek, part of the reason might be the fact we have Willander. Not saying he will step in and put up 50 points or anything close, but he projects to be at least above average defensively.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Food for thought.

It’s enticing, but I still think our more glaring need going forward is for a prospect like Willander. Good young defensemen don’t hit free agency, and they cost an arm and a leg to trade for.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Average to poor is a joke man sry.

With context, he was excellent.

He's been a borderline 1C his entire career, and we primarily played him here with borderline top six players. He's never been a line driver, he's always been an excellent 2WAY player.

No reason to think that wont continue.

We literally tried trading him a second time, or at the very least inquired about it. In what world are you arguing that's an example of an excellent player?

Even if we disregard that rumour, he was still decidedly average at best. Mostly solid defensively, I'll grant you, but that's something you get from Blueger or Suter not a guy wanting 7M+. Hell, arguably one of the best defensive centers in Danaunt only signed for 5.5M a few years ago.

I'm not against re-signing Lindholm but let's not exaggerate here. He wasn't anywhere close to be a "borderline 1C". Now, supposedly he was injured but a good playoff run isn't convincing me he's a 8M player.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Food for thought.

Think it's so much easier to find and fill top 6 wingers than it is to get ahold of top 4 D, let alone RD

I was of the mentality for years that I hated the idea of drafting dmen in the first round. I was always enamored with offense, and just love that part of the game more. Having followed this team since I was 5, now being 43, the importance of developing our own d that's cost controlled and locked down for a good part of the beginning of their career, I see now the value of building from the back.

Without knowing the actual statistics on it, I'd say for every 10 kids growing up playing the game, prob 2 actually choose to be d, even less become good enough to make the league. For fwds even fringe players can make it with a specialty, but at d, if you can't play it you really don't have anything else.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
We literally tried trading him a second time, or at the very least inquired about it. In what world are you arguing that's an example of an excellent player?

Even if we disregard that rumour, he was still decidedly average at best. Mostly solid defensively, I'll grant you, but that's something you get from Blueger or Suter not a guy wanting 7M+. Hell, arguably one of the best defensive centers in Danaunt only signed for 5.5M a few years ago.

I'm not against re-signing Lindholm but let's not exaggerate here. He wasn't anywhere close to be a "borderline 1C". Now, supposedly he was injured but a good playoff run isn't convincing me he's a 8M player.
Starting your argument with fan fiction is pretty laughable.

Second point dismantles your argument further.
Danault has never been the quality center lindholm is currently, lindholm is younger, has also been is selke talks, always been much better offensively, danault is LHS and signed like FOUR years ago.

If you think the settled in playoff version of lindholm isn't worth 7m in todays increased cap then I'm sorry but that's an incorrect assessment.
Allvins joshua, zadorov, and Lindholm rumored contracts have been bang on, only question if its enough, not if they're overpays.
Suggestions of 5.5 for lindholm are taj level bad and just not reality in todays nhl economic climate

We literally have mikhayev and Garland at Five Million, kuz got kicked to the curb in 3 seconds for 5.5, because defense.
Horvat makes 8.5.
Dubois makes 8.5.

Now we have the swedish right shot ~selke defense penalty kill Center version of kuz and people dont want to pay him ONE and a HALF million more, during our window?!?!

Idk what to say to you if you think a top ufa rhs C, several teams are looking at as a possible 1C, career borderline 1C, isnt worth 2m more than mik and garly, because of like twenty five regular season games after he was just traded, its a bad take imo.

Lastly, list off all the things Nuckles did, plus the several others you can think of (rhs,pk1,pp1,[there's more]) and then tell me who and how this contending team replaces all that by next season for less than 7M, all via trade and ufa with 30 other teams as options...

The lindholm is avg/bad and isn't worth 7M argument is lazy, weak at best and easily defeated, I'm tired and not particularly articulate and I just did it. Don't @ me I'm done, someone smarter than me could easily make an even better case.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad