Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I seem to recall that Chatfield having good skating and defensive instincts along with a high compete level but the knock on him was that his puck skills were subpar. It’s hard too say how much those have improved as Carolinas system will hide that to a large degree so bringing him into our system is probably going to be a bad fit.

Much rather bring back Tanev for a couple years and have him close out his career as a Canuck.
Bolded is the biggest issue. It was a big flaw for him before. And like we've discussed, it's an area where RBA's system basically masks or removes any weaknesses in that area. Can he make a retrieval and an exit? Well, we don't really know. I think Chatfield's strengths (as you've said, skating, compete, rangy stick) mesh very well with how CAR plays in the DZ, and was a good pro scouting find for them.

If they can re-sign Hronek, I am perfectly fine with Tanev as the 2RD on a short-medium term, as a bridge to Willander.

I am fine with not bringing back players at cap hits that don't correspond to their play. 5x4 for Joshua would be insane. 7x7 for Lindholm is insane. 6x5 for Zadorov is insane.

Every one of those contracts will become a boat anchor.
Yes.

If the people who believe in Allvin so much, why do they want to bring them back at obviously bad, Day 1 bad prices?

Trust the staff to find the next, cheaper versions of these guys. As they've been doing.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It's the term. You'll be paying him until he's 38. (In some form or another.)
Listen up.

When Sweet Lou signed Horvat to the 8.5x8M he said it was "For too much, for too long a term"

So why did he do it? Horvat has never even been close to a point per game guy.

The reason he did is is because Horvat has NO BONUSES.

This means Lou can buy him out any year he wants and reduce the salary hit going forward.

Essentially Horvat has no guarantee he will ever earn the full value of the contract.

Only having a large fraction of his salary in bonuses would have guaranteed the now 29 year old Horvat the total value.

If Canucks give Lindhom a similar contract they have an out if he doesn't preform.

They can also give Lindholm bonuses that end before his last few years so both sides get what they want.

So your Honour, an 8th year is a good thing in order to retain any player and reduce the cap hit while outbidding other teams as long as the payments are structured properly.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Starting your argument with fan fiction is pretty laughable.

Second point dismantles your argument further.
Danault has never been the quality center lindholm is currently, lindholm is younger, has also been is selke talks, always been much better offensively, danault is LHS and signed like FOUR years ago.

If you think the settled in playoff version of lindholm isn't worth 7m in todays increased cap then I'm sorry but that's an incorrect assessment.
Allvins joshua, zadorov, and Lindholm rumored contracts have been bang on, only question if its enough, not if they're overpays.
Suggestions of 5.5 for lindholm are taj level bad and just not reality in todays nhl economic climate

We literally have mikhayev and Garland at Five Million, kuz got kicked to the curb in 3 seconds for 5.5, because defense.
Horvat makes 8.5.
Dubois makes 8.5.

Now we have the swedish right shot ~selke defense penalty kill Center version of kuz and people dont want to pay him ONE and a HALF million more, during our window?!?!

Idk what to say to you if you think a top ufa rhs C, several teams are looking at as a possible 1C, career borderline 1C, isnt worth 2m more than mik and garly, because of like twenty five regular season games after he was just traded, its a bad take imo.

Lastly, list off all the things Nuckles did, plus the several others you can think of (rhs,pk1,pp1,[there's more]) and then tell me who and how this contending team replaces all that by next season for less than 7M, all via trade and ufa with 30 other teams as options...

The lindholm is avg/bad and isn't worth 7M argument is lazy, weak at best and easily defeated, I'm tired and not particularly articulate and I just did it. Don't @ me I'm done, someone smarter than me could easily make an even better case.

I guess all the media rumours are fan fiction but your opinion, one several other Canucks even disagree with, isn't?

You do realize Danault has also been in selke talks despite still being severely underrated, yes? As for offensive numbers. Funny you am to "dismantle" my argument yet didn't bother to look up Danault outscored Lindholm this season. Last year they were merely four goals apart. Yes, Lindholm missed seven games but they haven't been far apart in production since 2021-22 when Lindholm had that one flash-in-pan season he's not come close to replicating since.

Regardless, I never said he wasn't worth 7M. I said he wasn't worth more. I also qualified that statement around our situation, i.e. paying 7M+ for a third line center is ridiculous. One of Pettersson, Miller or Lindholm himself would need to convert to being a full time winger.

Please point to where I mentioned 5.5M for Lindholm. I'll wait. I compared him to Danault in the sense of paying less for a player like him would better fit our cap situation not that Lindholm is worth the same. You're inferring something I didn't say to make your argument.

Funny, Horvat at 8.5 is something a LOT of people here wanted very little part of. Hell, even Islander fans aren't thrilled with it, And Dubois is quite possibly the best example in the last two decades as to why you shouldn't overpay UFAs. Granted, I don't expect Lindholm to ever play anywhere near that poorly even when he's 35.

You really ought to actually read some of these arguments before blowing up on people. Most who are gun-shy about re-signing Lindholm are worried they'll try to run three lines again when we simply don't have the depth to do, especially when we're trying to upgrade on the wing. Or they're afraid his playoff performance won't transition into the regular season

You can keep calling him a "borderline 1C" all you want. That doesn't make it accurate. He wasn't that good for us until near the end of the season and into the playoffs.

Keep in mind, I like the guy and wouldn't mind bringing him back. But like I said, if he rejected 7x7M, we're basically done. I'd rather have someone like Danault who may be a step down but is significantly cheaper.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The official 'off-season' is coming up fast. And if the Canucks are determined to try and keep Lindholm and Zadorov, then they're going to have to conduct major surgery on their roster.

I smell a Canucks 'blockbuster' trade coming up. 'Standing pat' won't be an option for Rutherford and Allvin.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I can agree with that, but what if the scenario arises where it isn't working, and it's costing them? Do they reunite or just stick with it? It could all be moot and maybe he becomes a 2nd pairing god, but if he doesn't, there has to be a plan b, and if he's slumping, he won't be very valuable in trade, but if you reform the top pair, well you get where I'm going w this.

Also, I'm just putting out what if scenarios thst could feasibly happen. In the end, whatever choices they choose to do, they need some back up plans.

And I still take his ass to arbitration LOL

You deal with it then... again its the threat you are mainly using. Would he get an 8x8 offer next year after putting up 30 points from 2nd pairing minutes?

It's pretty simple. If the Canucks don't give him the 8x8 he wants, arbitration basically walks him through to UFA. Obviously he'd take any risk into account, if he was willing to go that route. He'd get one more year beside Hughes to boost his value, and cash in subsequently.

So lets walk through this for a second. he goes to Arb and gets a 1 year 6.5 mil deal.

Next season the Canucks have told him he is on the second pair in more of a shut down role with Soucy. You think he will get a 8 mil x7 contract or more? Cause he would need to get at least that to make it worth while.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yesterday, Dhaliwal on Hronek's agent Allan Walsh and contract negotiations.

Time Stamp - 1:23:00

-points out that a national broadcaster (Seravalli) was the one who dropped the 8m ask
-the national broadcaster Seravalli came on a Canadian podcast (CanucksArmy and Sekeres & Price) for a lonng time repeated that number
-implies where the national broadcaster (Seravalli) got that number
-surprised that Walsh doesn't seem to understand why a hot Canadian market would be obsessed with contracts
-thinks that this is heading towards arbitration
-both sides have known for months what it will take to sign Hronek
-Walsh talked about arbitration for a reason
-if Hughes win the Norris, Walsh will use that as a point

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm still in the "trade him" camp when it comes to Hronek. Nothing he does is elite, he's not a great defender, he's not a PP QB, he's not an intimidating physical presence - he's just "steady." To me you can find somebody like that for $2m-3m less like a DeMelo or a Tanev. Nothing about Hronek's game screams $6-7m+ player and when we need to maximize our cap space as much as possible I think the money is better spent elsewhere.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

-points out that a national broadcaster (Seravalli) was the one who dropped the 8m ask
-the national broadcaster Seravalli came on a Canadian podcast (CanucksArmy and Sekeres & Price) for a lonng time repeated that number
-surprised that Walsh doesn't seem to understand why a hot Canadian market would be obsessed with contracts
agent going to do everything to get the most for his client, nothing surprising about it. If it was Benning then yeah we should worry but this is PA + JR show, they will probably holdout till like the hour before the actual arbitration hearing so that's going to be like a month away.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
agent going to do everything to get the most for his client, nothing surprising about it. If it was Benning then yeah we should worry but this is PA + JR show, they will probably holdout till like the hour before the actual arbitration hearing so that's going to be like a month away.

Which Walsh specifically mentioned in the podcast.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Canucks:
-mutual interest with Myers but haven't exchanged numbers as of last week
-Lafferty is expected to hit free agency; have spoken to his agent but he seems interested in exploring his options

Sharks:
-looking to improve their roster; specifically their blue line
-Sean Walker and Dylan DeMelo (former Shark) are are expected to be targets
-Ferraro has attracted interest from around the league; Grier is open to trading him but the price is very high
-Maple Leafs, Predators, Flames, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, are some of the teams who have varying interest in Ferraro
-Maple Leafs had interest in Luke Kunin
-Sharks and Kunin have talked extension but are in the beginning stages

Flames:
-haven't talked to Kylington yet
-working with the Devils on a Markstrom trade

Hurricanes:
-have engaged in Necas trade talks

Reactions: Lindgren and God

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
has there been any stuff from good sources on what the arb result may look like

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I do think a deal gets done. and I would guess its a 7x7.25 range. This is a lot of posturing at this point in time and I wouldn't read too much into it.

I would like to keep him, but if he does price himself out at like 8 mil, yeah I trade him. signing a cheaper option who may not be as good, but saves us on the cap and maybe even gives us flexibility moving forward would be nice too.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

I can’t see Hronek getting to arbitration. I think he’s either traded in July, or signs an extension. And if he hasn’t signed an extension in July, it basically means the Canucks will by and large concede to Hronek’s contract demands (i.e., it won’t be a great contract). So I guess hopefully get gets signed in July.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Different category of prospect, but I wonder how Aiden Celebrini fares next season in what should be an increased role on the team.
Rick Celebrini spoke a bit about Aiden on Donnie and Dhali today:

Interesting to note that both him and Macklin train in North Vancouver/Burnaby area in the off-season. He mentions Aiden training and doing the Grouse Grind lol (I guess he wants to get the fastest time at Dev Camp this year) and just through people I know, I know Macklin does offseason skates with Bedard, Kent Johnson, etc.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Rick saying any rumors of Guentzel not wanting to play in Vancouver or Canada are false.

IMO sure sounds like he has heard from both the team and the agent that they are willing to flirt with each other.

That being said, practically, why would an agent ever say “No, I won’t consider that team” and make the market for their player smaller?

I could easily see a team like Vancouver being the foil another UFA uses to get the salary they want somewhere else.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Rick saying any rumors of Guentzel not wanting to play in Vancouver or Canada are false.

IMO sure sounds like he has heard from both the team and the agent that they are willing to flirt with each other.

That being said, practically, why would an agent ever say “No, I won’t consider that team” and make the market for their player smaller?

I could easily see a team like Vancouver being the foil another UFA uses to get the salary they want somewhere else.

Guentzel:
-reports that Guentzel only wants to sign with a US-based team is wrong
-was more than willing to come to Vancouver at the deadline
-has a history with Rutherford, Allvin, and Tocchet
-who players play with is a huge consideration for UFAs

Mikheyev:
-not going to buy him out
-don't want more dead money

Myers & Blueger:
-talking with their agents
-both are very comfortable waiting until the Canucks figure everything out

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Guentzel:
-reports that Guentzel only wants to sign with a US-based team is wrong
-was more than willing to come to Vancouver at the deadline
-has a history with Rutherford, Allvin, and Tocchet
-who players play with is a huge consideration for UFAs

Mikheyev:
-not going to buy him out
-don't want more dead money

Myers & Blueger:
-talking with their agents
-both are very comfortable waiting until the Canucks figure everything out

Guentzle, if we get him at all, will likely play with Pete, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad