Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If Guentzal vs Lindholm is a genuine choice, yes, adding 1 to 2 million more for Guentzal is a slam dunk. But you still have to recruit Guentzal and there is no exclusive negotiating window around him like there is Lindholm.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
First real indication that Blueger is very likely to be back.

If we can extend him at something around his current cap hit, we should absolutely be doing it. He was huge on the PK, and his speed and smarts were big factors in our two way game. Hard to picture us getting a better replacement for around that price.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Guentzle, if we get him at all, will likely play with Pete, no?

That's what they were saying, yes. Guentzel would be for Pettersson. Implied that would be appealing to Guentzel.

If Guentzal vs Lindholm is a genuine choice, yes, adding 1 to 2 million more for Guentzal is a slam dunk. But you still have to recruit Guentzal and there is no exclusive negotiating window around him like there is Lindholm.

Unless...

If we can extend him at something around his current cap hit, we should absolutely be doing it. He was huge on the PK, and his speed and smarts were big factors in our two way game. Hard to picture us getting a better replacement for around that price.

If we can get him around 2M x 2/3years or so that would be mint. Definitely a good guy to have around.
AFP has him at 2y/2.17m which is what I'd be willing to pay him. If you can't keep Joshua then keep some semblance of the third line line together in Blueger & Garland. You have the offensive line driver in Garland and the defensive conscience in Blueger.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
That being said, practically, why would an agent ever say “No, I won’t consider that team” and make the market for their player smaller?

I could easily see a team like Vancouver being the foil another UFA uses to get the salary they want somewhere else.
I can definitely see Guentzel & his agent doing this. Why would they want teams to know that he's only willing to go to certain teams? I'm sure he does have a list, but teams having an idea of who's on that list doesn't really benefit him.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Nothing I can find.
There's only been one significant award under this CBA: Trouba in 2018. Most recent comparable of a player elected arb that was settled prior to the hearing was Dunn and it's probably very close to what Hronek will end up getting whoever he signs with.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Canucks current CapSpace is 27.53m (LTIR)

AFP Projections
RFA:
Silovs - 2y/1.0m

UFA:
Guentzel - 7y/9.28m
Myers - 2y/3.16m
Bluger - 2y/2.17m

Capspace Afterwards: 11.92m

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Guentzel
???-Blueger-Garland
PDG-Aman-???
Mikheyev

Hughes-???
Soucy-???
???-Juulsen
???/???

Demko
Silovs

Move out Mikheyev without taking anything back and that increases to 16.67 to fill 7 spots. However, only two of those spots are critical (1st RD and 2nd RD).

But yes, I'd be very surprised if Guentzel decides Vancouver is the best place for him. It's a non-zero chance but not much higher than a few percentage points.

Reactions: bossram

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The official 'off-season' is coming up fast. And if the Canucks are determined to try and keep Lindholm and Zadorov, then they're going to have to conduct major surgery on their roster.

I smell a Canucks 'blockbuster' trade coming up. 'Standing pat' won't be an option for Rutherford and Allvin.
Yes trade Demko with Mikheyev.

Boom 10M cap space.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Looks like Myers is missing which fills out one space and maybe updates it a bit.

You're right! Doesn't change the numbers but makes looking at the right side a little easier. My personal preference is to still have Juulsen as the 7th/8th guy and go for another cheaper but slightly improved player in the 3rd spot. Keep Soucy-Myers.

Reactions: aregora

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So happy about the Blueger news. Love that guy. Doesn’t matter if it’s L3 or L4 or who’s up against, he’ll make those minutes no event.

Aman being able to do that in the playoffs was slightly surprising to me as well.

I think the underrated difficult thing for these Abbotsford guys who may surprise (Sasson, Raty, Bains) is that the fourth line and 13th F roles are filled with PDG, Aman, Blueger, Podkolzin.

they don’t need to upgrade those roles and you feel podkolzin would need to be awful to not be prioritized

Those guys are + players in that role and the playoffs showed that. Happy to move on from Lafferty unless he wanted close to min tbh.

But yeah, I wonder. Let’s see if Raty adds an edge, Bains gets faster with a shot, or if Sasson levels up

Last edited:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If you can sign Guentzel, you count your good blessings and use a future 1st to trade Mikheyev to give yourself the cap space to fill out your depth.

Essentially, I would imagine the roster decisions as a trade:

Lindholm, Mikheyev and a 1st
for​
Guentzel​

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I can see Mikheyev being traded and Joshua, Zadorov, Lafferty, DeSmith, Cole and Lindholm all leaving.

I imagine Hronek, Myers and Bleuger will be re-signed and Silovs will be the back up.

We would therefore need a top 6 winger; 2 top 9 forwards; a 4th line winger/Podz; a top 4 D and a bottom pairing D.

Guentzel / Marchessault / Reinhart for the top 6 W
don't know about the third line winger
Tanev for top 4 D
don't know about bottom D

Suter Miller Boeser
Hoglander EP Guentzel
? Blueger Garland
Podz Aman PDG
?

Hughes Hronek
Soucy Tanev
Juulsen Myers
?

Demko
Silovs

That seems to be a roughly the same or weaker team than last year, with the obvious exception of Guentzel or the other two. I think they would really need to bolster the D-Corps and bottom 9 forwards somehow.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Well, TBF, Demko hasn't been able to finish a full season neither..
what a ridiculous narrative. 51 starts puts him at #16 most starts of the season. In 2021-22 he was #3 in games started at 63. Before he was injured, Demko was on pace to play more than many big names... Vasilevskiy was ahead of him this season at 52 gp, Oettinger 54, Shesterkin at 55.

What happened in the playoffs should be an example of why we need goaltending depth to take the load off in the regular season, not to flit it away on penny pinching gambles.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
First real indication that Blueger is very likely to be back.

He's a good 4C but I wouldn't want him playing anywhere higher up in the lineup.

Canucks need to find a good 3C to play toughs... not really sure what is out there though. A guy like Stephenson would be ideal but he would likely be looking for a big contract. Maybe Roslovic or Wennberg?

I'd look at a guy like Hakanpaa as a Cole upgrade... fits the mould of big dmen that management likes.

Other guys for the bottom 6 I would look at are Nosek and Blais. Should come relatively cheap.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I think Lindholm is a better hockey fit for us than Guentzel as a right handed center who can play up and down the lineup, play on the top unit of PP and PK and likely be a cheaper contract. Guentzel's injury history is a concern on an expensive long term deal.

Jake Guentzel is a playoff monster and he would instantly be our best winger. Sure having a RH centre is nice but Lindholm is a luxury we can't afford.

Having Petey/Guentzel + Miller/Boeser duos would be much more important for us moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad