Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
No, he costs nothing and they can use his LTIR status, just like Tampa, Vegas and other teams, including the Canucks.
What? No, lol. It only helps if you want Poolman to play in the playoffs for you. It has to be a good player on LTIR.

Reactions: Bankerguy

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The caveat with me suggesting Laine is that management and coaching staff are confident they can get him to fit in. It's one of the things that we as fans just don't have. Similar to Rutherford acquiring Kessel and Tocchet's legend of the "Kessel Whisperer" was born. I'm not expecting it and I don't think they would actually pursue it but a bad contract swap might be the only way they get rid of Mikheyev. Especially given their public reticence to giving up high value assets in order to get out of undesirable contracts.

I think the idea is sound, even probable, but Laine as a target probably doesn't make sense (due to the cost to CBJ, where they'd still have all of Laine's cap hit, but for Mikheyev who obviously doesn't have the offensive upside).

I'd be trying to turn Mikheyev's caphit into a dman. Find a team with a $4m dman getting pushed out of their top 4 who could use a top 9 forward.

Or for a one dimensional winger that doesn't have a spot in a team's top 6, or they are looking to change up the makeup of their roster. I want nothing to do with Ehlers, but a Mikheyev for Ehlers type deal would be the template I'd be looking at.

Reactions: Vector

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
The caveat with me suggesting Laine is that management and coaching staff are confident they can get him to fit in. It's one of the things that we as fans just don't have. Similar to Rutherford acquiring Kessel and Tocchet's legend of the "Kessel Whisperer" was born. I'm not expecting it and I don't think they would actually pursue it but a bad contract swap might be the only way they get rid of Mikheyev. Especially given their public reticence to giving up high value assets in order to get out of undesirable contracts.
I'm still shocked Laine has ended up the way he has, but (and this sounds bad) I don't think I could stomach watching another star player go through confidence issues in a season. It doesn't feel great wanting your team to win and being mad at a guy for underperforming due to mental health or other personal stuff.

Like, at the back of my mind I'm thinking this season could've been the core's best chance at a cup. And we might've completely lost it due to a freak Demko injury and Pettersson losing himself once again. I'd rather avoid Laine until he sorts himself out, and I know he can. He isn't some Cheechoo-esque one-off goal scorer.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Then why would almost bankrupt Coyotes carry 20 mil in LTIR players at one time? Contracts are insured. There might be a smaller cash outlay but for the most part the cap hit can/was used to make the cap minimum.
To get to the salary floor. They get to be cap compliant with the minimum salary without spending actual money from their pocket.

Lol never I have seen someone try to speak so confidently about something they clearly don't understand.

Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
To get to the salary floor. They get to be cap compliant with the minimum salary without spending actual money from their pocket.

Lol never I have seen someone try to speak so confidently about something they clearly don't understand.

Then why would almost bankrupt Coyotes carry 20 mil in LTIR players at one time? Contracts are insured. There might be a smaller cash outlay but for the most part the cap hit can/was used to make the cap minimum.
LTIR players are covered by insurance. Carrying those contracts means they are carrying the cap without paying for it. They have like close to 20 M worth of cap they don’t need to pay real cash for

Reactions: BimJenning

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
1717125644629.png

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Regarding the bolded, yeah, that is an open question. It really does depend on the player(s) in question and the contracts attached. I'm just saying that several others (not you) are not accurately evaluating the magnitude of loss if you subtract Garland. He is not a "third liner" in any meaningful sense, as some are using to justify dumping him.

I think they can accomplish pretty much all of their offseason needs if they can dump Mikheyev. Perhaps easier said than done. That's a real big part of the issue, and is a signing Allvin never should have made. He's occupying cap space that is needed on an impact player.

In my roster projections, it's the blueline where I think the Canucks will have to be efficient, and have the remaining cap space allocated more toward the forward group.
So, let Zadorov walk I concur with this assessment.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

None of the Coyotes players were on LTIR.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
LTIR players are covered by insurance. Carrying those contracts means they are carrying the cap without paying for it. They have like close to 20 M worth of cap they don’t need to pay real cash for

Technically this isn’t true. Most players are covered by insurance but some aren’t. Ex: Micheal Ferland

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I wonder if VAN is not as in on Necas as we think, but are actually around what CAR will do to get a read on the Guentzel situation?

It makes a big difference if VAN is able to secure his rights so as to give him that 8th year in terms to get the AAV down. Just musing on it.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
So I was thinking...wouldn't it make more sense to buy out Mikheyev than package him with a valuable asset (IE. 2025 1st) to dump him?

The difference in cap hit for next season is only $1.15M vs dumping him. And the Canucks could use that 1st to add an impact player, maybe with retained salary, at some point this off-season or next season.

I know the concern is the long-term buyout impact, especially with OEL's buyout jumping up to $4.76M in 2025. But even without a potential Mikheyev buyout there's still that OEL buyout and Boeser/Suter/Hoglander's contracts expiring next year, and Soucy/Demko the year after that. So I don't know how much of a window they have regardless.

Mikheyev.jpg

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
It just seems like a broken line-up that will have trouble competing with the best. So you have Garland and Joshua actually playing on the second line (nominal 3rd) and Petterson is now an $11.6 mil center on the real third line. Very disjointed way to have your best players on separate lines. Good players need good players to play with. I'm not sure why a team lacking top 6 options would put top 6 players in the bottom 6. Tampa and Pittsburgh both had other options for the top 6 and proved it by winning Cups.
Why not try Petey with Joshua and Garland as our 2nd line? I didn't understand why Tocchet never tried that, especially when Petey was struggling. 2 great forecheckers freeing the puck up and setting up EP sounds like an ideal fit?

That way we can just focus on building a 3rd line, which should theoretically be cheaper?

I also wouldn't mind putting Hoglander and Suter back together as a 4th line scoring threat as well, they were pretty good together before Suter got promoted.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Why not try Petey with Joshua and Garland as our 2nd line? I didn't understand why Tocchet never tried that, especially when Petey was struggling. 2 great forecheckers freeing the puck up and setting up EP sounds like an ideal fit?

That way we can just focus on building a 3rd line, which should theoretically be cheaper?

I also wouldn't mind putting Hoglander and Suter back together as a 4th line scoring threat as well, they were pretty good together before Suter got promoted.

Absolutely. Garland and Petterson looked really good together there in the last game for the little while they were paired up. Can Joshua keep up full time though? I don't know but yeah it's possibly doable. I agree a third line can be built.

I thought Hoglander was terrific on the fourth and played better and was more important for us there. Part of the reason for our early season success was serious contributions from the fourth line.

Reactions: quat

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think something big between Carolina and us *could* happen. But in this business, any news is uncertain until it is certain. There’s certainly smoke. I think with new guy at the helm, lots of interesting possibilities. I understand he’s been quite popular for awhile as 33rd best GM in the league.

I’m not sure Necas and his new contract are improvements for us. Jarvis on a 1-year “help us help you” deal with the dime on Boesers health.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I think something big between Carolina and us *could* happen. But in this business, any news is uncertain until it is certain. There’s certainly smoke. I think with new guy at the helm, lots of interesting possibilities. I understand he’s been quite popular for awhile as 33rd best GM in the league.

I’m not sure Necas and his new contract are improvements for us. Jarvis on a 1-year “help us help you” deal with the dime on Boesers health.
maybe multiple players invovled. expect the unexpected.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Remember when CBJ signed Nathan Horton to that massive contract without getting it insured lol. Let the Leafs get out from under Clarkson. Both those guys were under contract until 2020.

Reactions: Vector

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
So I was thinking...wouldn't it make more sense to buy out Mikheyev than package him with a valuable asset (IE. 2025 1st) to dump him?

The difference in cap hit for next season is only $1.15M vs dumping him. And the Canucks could use that 1st to add an impact player, maybe with retained salary, at some point this off-season or next season.

I know the concern is the long-term buyout impact, especially with OEL's buyout jumping up to $4.76M in 2025. But even without a potential Mikheyev buyout there's still that OEL buyout and Boeser/Suter/Hoglander's contracts expiring next year, and Soucy/Demko the year after that. So I don't know how much of a window they have regardless.

View attachment 877807

I’ve evolved my thinking on this. I think the way you have to frame a Mikheyev cap dump is as the cost to acquire the player you want to sign. For example—it’s not:

VAN: (nothing)
SJS: 2025 1st + Ilya Mikheyev​

It would be:

VAN: Jake Guentzel (or whichever top-six forward)

I wonder if VAN is not as in on Necas as we think, but are actually around what CAR will do to get a read on the Guentzel situation?

It makes a big difference if VAN is able to secure his rights so as to give him that 8th year in terms to get the AAV down. Just musing on it.
I think Vancouver should be all over trading for Guenztel’s rights if Carolina is unable to sign him. It may cost as much as a third round pick—perhaps less.

The difference between offering him $64m over eight years vs $64m over seven years is over $1m AAV per year. That could be the difference to keeping Joshua, or Zadorov—or making some other splash.

Carolina would have motivation to do it too. They probably would prefer him in the western conference if they can’t sign him.

IMO, you would think if Carolina were going to sign him—it would’ve happened by now.

Last edited:

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I’ve evolved my thinking on this. I think the way you have to frame a Mikheyev cap dump is as the cost to acquire the player you want to sign. For example—it’s not:

VAN: (nothing)​

It would be:

VAN: Jake Guentzel (or whichever top-six forward)​

I think Vancouver should be all over trading for Guenztel’s rights if Carolina is unable to sign him. It may cost as much as a third round pick—perhaps less.

The difference between offering him $64m over eight years vs $64m over seven years is over $1m AAV per year. That could be the difference to keeping Joshua, or Zadorov—or making some other splash.

Carolina would have motivation to do it too. They probably would prefer him in the western conference if they can’t sign him.

IMO, you would think if Carolina were going to sign him—it would’ve happened by now.

Canucks can't sign him for 8, only if they had his rights at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad