Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
amadio put up all his points in an "elevated" role. he plays most of his minutes with stephenson when stone is out and with karlsson when stone is in the lineup. i like him as a target but he's pretty much topped out
Not really he's been behind Stone Marchesseault and even Kessel and Mantha. Hasn't seen much PP time. Yes sure he's played with Karlsson and Stephenson but also Howden and Cotter on LW in mostly a 3rd line role at 13 minutes a game.

With Boeser stapled to Miller and Garland on RW3 if they are gonna run 3 good Cs and sign Lindholm he would be a good option for role alongside of Pettersson and Hoglander. Even as a Suter type signing he could be good value if signed for 1.5ish

Should be interesting how Allvin ends up viewing the match up game in the Pacific and West as he made reference to the opponents and having 3 quality Cs. VGK Eichel Karlsson Hertl DAL Hintz Johnston Duchene LA Kopitar Dubois Danault etc

If that's how they decide to run then Hoglander Mikhayev Suter is definitely needing some upgrades and there wont be much money to do so. I like him more than Heinen and some of the other cheap options that have been mentioned who became ghosts in playoff hockey while Amadio looked good in those situations.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
You get the sense a lot of players will get horribly overpaid this offseason.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
5 trade targets per Canucks Army:

Most have already been discussed and no particular order:
  1. Martin Necas
  2. Nikolaj Ehlers
  3. Arthur Kaliyev
  4. Morgan Frost
  5. Trevor Zegras
I like Kaliyev and Frost as buylow options for fairly cheap given their potential upside.

Big no on Zegras.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster

1. Martin Necas
  2. Nikolaj Ehlers
  3. Arthur Kaliyev
  4. Morgan Frost
  5. Trevor Zegras
I like Kaliyev and Frost as buylow options for fairly cheap given their potential upside.

Big no on Zegras.
Acquisition of Frost and the signing of another winger like Heinen would be a pretty good basis for a middle six line.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

1. Martin Necas
  2. Nikolaj Ehlers
  3. Arthur Kaliyev
  4. Morgan Frost
  5. Trevor Zegras

Big no on Zegras.
No surprise, Necas and Ehlers’ motors would work well in our system.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Frost had a great end to the year, although the team around him collapsed, and was fine with Tortorella the year before. I don't think he's available and if he was, he wouldn't be cheap.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Canucks Army has a review of an interview that JP Barry did recently. Barry represents Pettersson, Hughes, and Myers, and it's this comment, referring to Myers, that caught my attention:
He likes the city, his family likes the city, and he enjoys playing for the Canucks. He’s especially enjoyed the new coaching staff and has spoken highly about the coaches.”
That's consistent with a variety of comments that players made over the season, but I think it's somewhat unusual for an agent to get clear and specific in this way.

So I'm hoping, optimistically and perhaps naively, that word inevitably gets around and free agents will rank Vancouver higher as a potential destination because of how the coaching is regarded.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
@sting101
Sounds like moving Poolman and Mikhayev are the priorities right now maybe Pettersson Hronek too if they are looking to add cap space and dont like the contracts going forward.

Gotta like this teams set of priorities where 1 and 2 moves effects the next set and plans unlike the maniac from years past who would just sign and secure without a fiscal plan then try and off load to no avail and be stuck in cap hell.

What a refreshing difference. That mad house escapee was like my mom shopping at a garage sale. Hey look at this vacuum I picked up. Yeah you already have 9 of them that don't work properly and you have all hardwood floors, but hey it's got some cool buttons on it. Throw it in the pile in the storage unit. It'll be useful somewhere someday. Meanwhile, damn I wish I had enough money to go buy a salad for dinner.

@Hansen
I dont get how they could be reluctant to give Joshua 3 when they gave Mikheyev nearly 5

Wait ... you don't get why they don't want a repeat of the same contract situation as Mikheyev? I'm pretty sure they have been desperately hoping to dump his horrible contract for half a year now. We have about 0 margin for error the next couple years.

@bossram
"Third-liners" Garland and Joshua were both in the Canucks top six forwards in TOI/GP in the playoffs.

Garlands production and play-driving was at a 1st line level. Joshua was really at a 2nd line calibre impact. These guys were providing the impact of top-six players and playing top-six minutes.

The only reason people are confused and saying they are "depth" is because their line chart slotted them on the nominal 3rd line.

If people think they can get better top-six fowards at somehow a lower price, well I don't think that's realistic, but it's at least actually logically consistent.

Reallocating cap space from Garland/Joshua is really not reallocating from the "3rd line" to the top-six. It's removing top-six players, and then seeing what you can do with the roster spots and cap space.

I've been a bog proponent of moving Garland in the past but I like most everyone has to see how well he played this year and how effective and engaged he was. If we keep him he needs to play on the top 2 lines though, with Petterson. You shouldn't be deploying $11.6 and $4.95 mil on the third line, and then wondering why we aren't winning. That was Benning style, just collect spare parts without a care in the world how they actually fit into the line-up.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Boeser for Ehlers, Mikheyev and Hoglander for Necas. Let’s get fast.
Faster? Maybe with Ehlers if they would do that but Boeser would not be enough.
After Zadorov the fastest Canuck, Mik and Hogs are two of the fastest, maybe 2 & 3 but Necas is faster.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I’m being facetious and think it’s highly unlikely we trade Boeser.
Horvat. Center. Fan favourite. 30+ goal scorer. Captain. Longest termed Canuck.
Boeser. Winger. 40 goal scorer. longest termed Canuck. Fan Favourite, gets the most sympathy.

BB had his best games this playoffs, that might impress Carolina enough to get out from under Necas with a small sweetener.
In the spirit of the thread title, how much do you think Dhaliwal will cost the team this year? $5M? over/under.
Doing a bang up job of Canuck marketing to convince fans that some players are too expensive.
And a few agents as a conduit
should vancouver target defenseman that are durable and can withstand the 82 season grind. did a little research on a dman example dylan demelo. has only missed 10 games throughout his career starting from 2019.
No more midgets. Size matters

Fans have been indoctrinated for easy season play by the low expectations created by Benning. The division title is not the goal. It does show depth and consistency but is mostly just for entertainment and practice for the real season. Under Benning the team was sold as "one nights entertainment", competitive in losing but the standings were hardly ever mentioned or the playoff odds by the paid off "sports shows".

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Frost had a great end to the year, although the team around him collapsed, and was fine with Tortorella the year before. I don't think he's available and if he was, he wouldn't be cheap.

There was some buzz he was potentially available around the deadline, but obviously that didn't go anywhere. I think had that opportunity existed, it has expired, though, as he looks poised to play a pretty major role for Philly next year.

Reactions: Vector

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
@MS
This is spot on.

There could be nothing dumber in my eyes than not signing Joshua who scored 40 ESP/82 for $3 million because he's 'just a bottom 6 guy' in order to spend $6 million on Tero Teravainen and his 32 ESP/82 because you get caught up in labels and PP production/minutes that that player wouldn't get here.

Or, likewise, thinking that a 12-15 ESP/82 extremely limited 8-10 minute 4th liner like Duhaime is '80% of Joshua'.

Joshua played like a f***ing top-6 player this year. If he walks it's a huge loss.

I like Joshua and appreciate his physicality and hitting, plus ability to get to the net and soft hands when he does. Really helps bring balance vs the rest of the team. I'm not personally hellbent one way or the other as this is an incredibly difficult off-season for the management group, so I'm kind of just waiting to see the direction.

However I'm curious, if Joshua is the #1 no brainer must do signing do you not care about a securing a top 6 guy for Petey to play with, or who do you think would fit (targets) in that position moneywise then if we're paying Joshua and keeping Garland? Or are you saying we should play Joshua and Garland with Petey ... because that would make the most sense if we are insisting that they are top 6 players. Clearly our set-up failed us bigtime in the end and clearly resulted in our ousting from the playoffs.

Reactions: theguardianII

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I've been a bog proponent of moving Garland in the past but I like most everyone has to see how well he played this year and how effective and engaged he was. If we keep him he needs to play on the top 2 lines though, with Petterson. You shouldn't be deploying $11.6 and $4.95 mil on the third line, and then wondering why we aren't winning. That was Benning style, just collect spare parts without a care in the world how they actually fit into the line-up.
I've never been on the "move Garland" train. I don't think his play has changed much over his Canucks tenure. He's been a play-driving, 1st line ES rate-scoring winger for pretty much his career. He is easily a top-six calibre forward, and the Canucks need to add more of those, not subtract.

I don't really get the bolded though. I've said in many other posts, people are hung up on just the literal order of the line chart, and not paying attention to the actual quality of the players in determining who is a "top-six forward".

If Garland drives play, keeps scoring at his current ES rate, plays top-six ice-time (as he has in the regular season and playoffs)....then for all intents and purposes, he is a top-six forward regardless of which line his name appears on on the line chart.

When the Pens were winning Cups, no one was saying Kessel is a third-line player because he was on the HBK "third line". Tampa Bay won Cups with Coleman and Gourde playing on the "third line" (yet they were 1st line ES rate scorers and played more ES ice time than their "second line").

Reactions: Andy Dufresne

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Anyone consider that a team like Utah has more to offer Hronek than the Canucks and not just money but as the PP quarterback?
Maybe Hronek wants a bigger role than he can ever get in Vancouver as long as Hughes is around.
Who wants to spend their careers as second fiddle and never be able to play to his best. Playing behind Hughes could cost him millions of dollars.

Utah would have no problem doing an offer sheet even up to 9 million, they have all the picks needed. But that doesn't help the Canucks NOW.

I am sure Rutherford/Allvin are aware and working something out, they can't promise ice time or role though.

If all it took to win was money then the Rangers, TO, Montreal would be winning annually even Vancouver, a team that spent more than all those during Benning's term.

A lot of posters ignore player desires. Who ever said Hronek ever wanted to be here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad