Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Hint for everybody and it's perfectly legal. Open the page you want to read. Then download the page for offline viewing.

Boom! Free articles!

(To a certain extent, you won't be able to expand everything on every article)
You sir, are a gentleman , and a scholar. My thanks for this lol

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Just panned over an old article about how teams spend outside of salaries etc. I'm curious what this team actually throws towards scouting, player development, analytics etc.

It seems in the recent past (benning era til present day) ownership has focused so much on the pro side of things and building a Team to contend now that it's taken a backseat in trying to build a culture from the ground up. They've cut in the trainer section, cut scouts over the past few years for some examples.

The Gillis era threw alot of money strategically backed by studies to better the teams players, but even then, I'm not sure alot was done on development side.

This article stated that Tampa prioritized a huge presence of scouts in Europe, which has obviously paid off in spades for them, along with having some of the best scouts locally.

On player development side, the teams listed at the top were kings, Rangers, leafs. Given how the players at the very least in the kings and Rangers organizations have grown their own talent to current players, and w the leafs, alot of their players they've let go of have turned into some gamers, well it was what I thought a very insightful article.

Every team has to abide by the same salary cap, but there is no limit to what they can spend on every other aspect of the team and how it would shape a long term culture building to success.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but I'd put a good bet that alot of the bottom dwelling teams that consistently draft high but can never gain success are spending the least in many of these aspects, so while it's not a guarantee, it definitely raises the odds that if more money was allocated to all departments of the franchise besides just the building of the team and it's players, it would probably be money well spent longterm for them.

Feel free to defend the team if you know they spend alot on all this with evidence I care not look up, but besides trying to build off-site practice facility, I dont hear of or have seen much on other things they've done

Reactions: TruKnyte and oba

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Just panned over an old article about how teams spend outside of salaries etc. I'm curious what this team actually throws towards scouting, player development, analytics etc.

It seems in the recent past (benning era til present day) ownership has focused so much on the pro side of things and building a Team to contend now that it's taken a backseat in trying to build a culture from the ground up. They've cut in the trainer section, cut scouts over the past few years for some examples.

The Gillis era threw alot of money strategically backed by studies to better the teams players, but even then, I'm not sure alot was done on development side.

This article stated that Tampa prioritized a huge presence of scouts in Europe, which has obviously paid off in spades for them, along with having some of the best scouts locally.

On player development side, the teams listed at the top were kings, Rangers, leafs. Given how the players at the very least in the kings and Rangers organizations have grown their own talent to current players, and w the leafs, alot of their players they've let go of have turned into some gamers, well it was what I thought a very insightful article.

Every team has to abide by the same salary cap, but there is no limit to what they can spend on every other aspect of the team and how it would shape a long term culture building to success.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but I'd put a good bet that alot of the bottom dwelling teams that consistently draft high but can never gain success are spending the least in many of these aspects, so while it's not a guarantee, it definitely raises the odds that if more money was allocated to all departments of the franchise besides just the building of the team and it's players, it would probably be money well spent longterm for them.

Feel free to defend the team if you know they spend alot on all this with evidence I care not look up, but besides trying to build off-site practice facility, I dont hear of or have seen much on other things they've done

They bought an entire AHL franchise.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
one of his last acts. take 10 years to get it situated where it needed to be, though.
They bought Peoria like a year before he was fired. IIRC, he'd been pushing for it since they lost the Moose as affiliate. Until 2011, their farm situation was basically as good as it could possibly be.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
They bought an entire AHL franchise.
Yea there is this, but all the things Gillis brought in, simply went by the wayside on his exit. Do you ever hear about them applying the same sleep assist for road trips etc?

Also, when I was talking about departments, I was more alluding to resources put in to support their assets. Such as personnel to go and check on and guide drafted players, not just scouts checking on progress. and afaik, our scouting staff has shrunk

They had Chris Higgins in a role of assistant director of player development for example. Either he wasn't good at the job, or they felt it unnecessary, or just cut costs, and turned him towards a completely opposite direction and made him a media creator in the marketing department.

There are obviously more avenues that could be entertained, and again, without knowing for sure, maybe they are doing. I just don't see or hear about growth into those areas, whereas I see more of trying to sell a brand in the team, past years of stunting growth to try and compete for what really seems to be about dollars and figures, minimal changes in jersey design to keep the masses having to update.

Ultimately, It's the owners choice, it's his money how he runs it, but again, if it's not being done, allocating funds to build towards continuous success will only benefit the stability of the brand and it's value for the owners, and the promise of a competitive team consistently for a rabid fan base.

Reactions: oba

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
should vancouver target defenseman that are durable and can withstand the 82 season grind. did a little research on a dman example dylan demelo. has only missed 10 games throughout his career starting from 2019.

oba

Feb 2, 2024

astute

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I have been reading a lot of posts, not all, not even close there are so many but the one's I have read mostly talk about Zadorov, improving, possible trade players, signing wingers for Petey, and such.

Allvin's end of season stated in no uncertain terms the team needs to get faster. Faster. I have not read that the slower players on this team will be moved. A hint here now.

Pettersson for Necas, Hronek for Necas but what if it is Boeser for Necas? Boeser is without doubt the slowest Canuck forward. Cole was the slowest defenceman, then Juulsen. The fastest defenceman is Zadorov at 37+KMH. Fastest forward is who? It is easy to pick out the slowest though. Petey was slow the second half too.

There was a real emphasis from Tocchet about being or getting faster and Allvin so doesn't it make sense that the slowest might be the one's moved?

I still think Necas will be a target but there might be one or two "failed" prospects out there they might spin the wheel on.

The slowest forward with the most trade value is Boeser so maybe he is sitting on the fence.

Rutherford/Allvin can't keep building like they did last year, they just don't have enough draft picks for that kind of trade assets left. They traded Horvat in the last year of his deal, he wasn't signed to a new contract at the same time they signed Miller.

If they traded the Captain, fan favourite, 30+ goal scorer, center and longest termed forward why would they not trade Boeser now? Necas for Boeser and use Boeser's cap hit for a bridge deal for Necas maybe.

No doubt there will be posters that freak out with this thought but didn't they freak out when Horvat was traded as well? And all that happened was they got a better defenceman and the team got better. Out a 30+ goal scoring center and in a 50pt defencemen.

Allvin said other things as well but the sports media looking for clicks focus on "stories" that attract attention

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I have been reading a lot of posts, not all, not even close there are so many but the one's I have read mostly talk about Zadorov, improving, possible trade players, signing wingers for Petey, and such.

Allvin's end of season stated in no uncertain terms the team needs to get faster. Faster. I have not read that the slower players on this team will be moved. A hint here now.

Pettersson for Necas, Hronek for Necas but what if it is Boeser for Necas? Boeser is without doubt the slowest Canuck forward. Cole was the slowest defenceman, then Juulsen. The fastest defenceman is Zadorov at 37+KMH. Fastest forward is who? It is easy to pick out the slowest though. Petey was slow the second half too.

There was a real emphasis from Tocchet about being or getting faster and Allvin so doesn't it make sense that the slowest might be the one's moved?

I still think Necas will be a target but there might be one or two "failed" prospects out there they might spin the wheel on.

The slowest forward with the most trade value is Boeser so maybe he is sitting on the fence.

Rutherford/Allvin can't keep building like they did last year, they just don't have enough draft picks for that kind of trade assets left. They traded Horvat in the last year of his deal, he wasn't signed to a new contract at the same time they signed Miller.

If they traded the Captain, fan favourite, 30+ goal scorer, center and longest termed forward why would they not trade Boeser now? Necas for Boeser and use Boeser's cap hit for a bridge deal for Necas maybe.

No doubt there will be posters that freak out with this thought but didn't they freak out when Horvat was traded as well? And all that happened was they got a better defenceman and the team got better. Out a 30+ goal scoring center and in a 50pt defencemen.

Allvin said other things as well but the sports media looking for clicks focus on "stories" that attract attention
So, I don't think you are wrong for considering Boeser as a potential trade chip. His value has probably never been higher. Not since before his injury in his rookie season. Vancouver likely would've traded him 12-24 months ago if they had even one decent offer for him.

But things have changed since. I suspect that if he has another 40-goal season that his next contract may be more expensive than the Canucks can afford to re-sign. For those reasons alone, if you took emotion out of it you would probably look at moving Boeser now if you feel like you can upgrade/move sideways to a player with a younger profile.

That being said, this year he upgraded his defensive profile and he was finding new ways to score goals. You cannot discount that he showed up in clutch moments in the playoffs like no other player on the team. That is an X-factor that is incredibly rare in a player and tends to transcend counting stats or perceived skill.

He's also one of the fan favorites. Personally, he's my favorite player on the team. It would be very difficult to experience him being traded. But, I also feel like if there was someone with the balls to take emotion out of it and trade such a player to upgrade the team—it would be Jim Rutherford.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Boeser for Ehlers, Mikheyev and Hoglander for Necas. Let’s get fast.
Not sure that I would trade Boeser for Ehlers. To my point above—Boeser has proven he can come up clutch in the playoffs before.

Ehlers has a long track record of disappearing in the post season.

And both are 1Y-pending UFA. If you are going to trade Boeser, it should be for a player you can extract more peak years from at as high of a level.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Not sure that I would trade Boeser for Ehlers. To my point above—Boeser has proven he can come up clutch in the playoffs before.

Ehlers has a long track record of disappearing in the post season.

And both are 1Y-pending UFA. If you are going to trade Boeser, it should be for a player you can extract more peak years from at as high of a level.
I’m being facetious and think it’s highly unlikely we trade Boeser.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

It's Pagnotta so he very casually throws out a bunch of teams connected to a player. "I suspect teams like" is doing a lot of work here.

Golden Knights:
-Amadio, Carrier, Mantha, and Martinez will not be re-signed
-contract talks with Stephenson will start in the next week or two
-suspects Boston, Vancouver, Toronto, Washington, Carolina, and Nashville will call on Stephenson if he makes it to free agency
-haven't talked to Marchessault yet
-will also begin Marchessault contract talks in the next 1-2 weeks
-Marchessault wants to stay

Misc:
-haven't talked yet but Flames are preparing an offer to Kylington
-Lighting will not be re-signing Dumba
-Canadiens will not be re-signing Pearson
-Blue Jackets' RFA goalie Jet Greaves may be a trade chip
-Konecny's looking for a 8y/10+m deal while Flyers want 8m
-Beauvillier and Predators are talking extension
-Perfetti's name keeps popping up around the NHL; teams not sure about his availability
-Teravainen unsure if he wants to re-sign or go to markket
-Kings will trade Kaliyev; Kaliyev has asked for a trade

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Konecny asking 10m is wild, he has a single ppg season. Am I missing something?

Screenshot_20240530-090935_Chrome.jpg

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
kaliyev would be a good get for the canucks but i dunno what they have that la would be interested in. the 2025 first seems like too steep a price

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well it is to stay in Philadelphia......but geeesh

Kaliyev is the epitome of lazy slow one dimensional...no thanks would rather get Kuzmenko back

Amadio would be an excellent gamble to score in a elevated role if the price is right

Reactions: mathonwy

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Amadio would be an excellent gamble to score in a elevated role if the price is right

amadio put up all his points in an "elevated" role. he plays most of his minutes with stephenson when stone is out and with karlsson when stone is in the lineup. i like him as a target but he's pretty much topped out

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
should vancouver target defenseman that are durable and can withstand the 82 season grind. did a little research on a dman example dylan demelo. has only missed 10 games throughout his career starting from 2019.
He would be on LTIR before his plane hit the ground if we signed him.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad