Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Boeser for Ehlers is a big downgrade. Boeser had 40 goals, played excellent 2-way hockey, was incredible in the playoffs.

Boeser plays heavy, wins board battles, not afraid to get to the dirty areas, solid 2-way.

Ehlers plays too much on the perimeter, has a tough time winning board battles and maintaining possession, needs big strong line mates to be effective.

Regular Season:

Ehlers 6’0 171
GP: 82 G:25 P:61

Boeser 6’1 208
GP: 81 G:40 P:73

Playoffs:

Boeser
GP:12 G:7 A:5 P:12 +2

Ehlers:
GP:5 G:0 A:2 P:2 -4
Ehlers ES P/60: 2.63, would be essentially tied with Miller (2.65) for 1st on the Canucks.

Boeser ES P/60: 1.92.

I don’t buy that Boeser is a good defensive player at all but my eye test disagrees with that general view here. On the other hand, to my eye Ehlers is a ++ skater with a tremendous motor that would work well in our system.

Boeser had a great playoffs and Ehlers didn’t. I don’t place much importance on that unless that discrepancy plays out over a large sample, which to be fair to Boeser he hasn’t had the chance to prove yet.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Myers:
-agent told media the plan is to re-sign with the Canucks
-thinks it will be 2-3 years at just under 3m
-Myers and his family love Vancouver; have a home in Kelowna
-is the easiest contract to sign from their own UFAs
-the only pending UFA that is willing to take a paycut
-credits coaching staff with his improved play
-never heard anything bad about him off the ice
-went to the coaching staff when he was struggling early in the season
-Dhaliwal gives lots of credit to Foote and Gonchar; Myers has relayed to his agent how much he likes the coaching staff
-big part of the team culture

Injuries:
-Dhaliwal is surprised that it got out there through a national reporter (Seravalli) that Pettersson was making excuses
-finds it hard to believe that Hughes and Hronek were 100% in the playoffs
-players' choice to disclose injuries

Zadorov:
-agent rejected Canucks offer before the playoffs
-no talks with Milstein before the season ended
-Milstein pushed the Canucks to extend Zadorov when they traded for him
-was willing to do a sign and trade with Calgary

Dillon:
-wants to sign with the Canucks
-Canucks have had interest in him
-term and money will be lower than Zadorov
-makes a lot of sense if Zadorov walks

Joshua:
-doesn't believe they are close
-lots of work to get done

Misc:
-working the phones; trying to make trades & clear capspace
-not having Joshua, and Zadorov, sign must be driving Tocchet nuts
-things can change quickly; lots of time with the tide to turn
-has been told to not count out them re-signing
-he is sure they are trying to get somebody to take Mikheyev's contract
-not ruling anyone out
-close with some UFAs and work to do with others

Malhotra:
-very respected in the hockey world
-was told the day that his son signed with Chilliwack to not be surprised if Manny ended up coaching in the lower mainland; Dhaliwal had know idea that person meant Abbotsford
-believe a few teams across the CHL had interest in Manny as a coach
-his son wants to go NCAA; best junior A league is the BCHL
-thinks there's a lot more to the story

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Close on Myers (also an unsubstantiated rumour they are close on Zadorov):

View attachment 877870

It makes sense in terms of efficiency. Myers is value at that cap hit, relative to the field. (And I have generally disliked this player)

That said, it's a move that closes other routes for this team. Every dollar they give to Myers/Joshua is less money going to a top end 1LW or 3RHD solution.

If they move Mikheyev, it can ease things, but that's a big 'if'.

Reactions: BimJenning

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It makes sense in terms of efficiency. Myers is value at that cap hit, relative to the field. (And I have generally disliked this player)

That said, it's a move that closes other routes for this team. Every dollar they give to Myers/Joshua is less money going to a top end 1LW or 3RHD solution.

If they move Mikheyev, it can ease things, but that's a big 'if'.
Myers signing for 3 years under 3M (2.75?) is a fine signing. IF we can get Dillion for like 3M then that should be a pretty effiicent backend contract wise, even with Hronek at a bigger number. Having Dillion might make it viable to have Hronek be on that pair and we have 2 pairs that can move the puck.

Hughes - ???
Dillon - Hronek
Soucy - Myers

Reactions: bh53 and BimJenning

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Boeser for Ehlers doesn’t make sense. We need another top 6 forward to add to this group, not swap out our best goal scoring winger.
Maybe not (although it doesn’t preclude them from acquiring another top 6 forward and there would be about $0.5M more now to fit one), but I take issue with arguments that Boeser is this board monster that outproduced the weakling Ehlers this season. It’s terrible analysis.

Reactions: Nick Lang

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I saw "not having Joshua, and Zadorov, sign must be driving Tocchet nuts" twice.

Key point from that is not having Joshua, and Zadorov, sign must be driving Tocchet nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: Vector

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Myers signing for 3 years under 3M (2.75?) is a fine signing. IF we can get Dillion for like 3M then that should be a pretty effiicent backend contract wise, even with Hronek at a bigger number. Having Dillion might make it viable to have Hronek be on that pair and we have 2 pairs that can move the puck.

Hughes - ???
Dillon - Hronek
Soucy - Myers

They won't have enough money for the ??? given that defense, Mikheyev still on the books and signing a forward to at least $5m AAV.

Aside: While Dillon is fine as a 4/5, I want the team to get puck movers first. This is why I treat the Myers signing as OK despite his adventures in the past: He moves the puck. He provides offense from the back end. Guys like Soucy and Dillon do not.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They won't have enough money for the ??? given that defense, Mikheyev still on the books and signing a forward to at least $5m AAV.

Aside: While Dillon is fine as a 4/5, I want the team to get puck movers first. This is why I treat the Myers signing as OK despite his adventures in the past: He moves the puck. He provides offense from the back end. Guys like Soucy and Dillon do not.
Soucy did provide pre-injury. Totally anemic after that but it was there

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I saw "not having Joshua, and Zadorov, sign must be driving Tocchet nuts" twice.

Key point from that is not having Joshua, and Zadorov, sign must be driving Tocchet nuts.

Probably a typo. Probably meant "not having Joshua, and Zadorov, Signs staring Haley Joel Osment must be driving Tocchet nuts

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Dillon is suitable as a bottom-pair, left-side replacement if we lose Zadorov. Given the dearth in the system of NHL-ready defenseman, he's a particularly convenient veteran to pencil in there at likely a substantially lower salary range. Ideally, you'd address some of the puck-moving issue on the back end through the third right-side spot, which would bump Juulsen down to #7.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Myers:
-agent told media the plan is to re-sign with the Canucks
-thinks it will be 2-3 years at just under 3m
-Myers and his family love Vancouver; have a home in Kelowna
-is the easiest contract to sign from their own UFAs
-the only pending UFA that is willing to take a paycut
-credits coaching staff with his improved play
-never heard anything bad about him off the ice
-went to the coaching staff when he was struggling early in the season
-Dhaliwal gives lots of credit to Foote and Gonchar; Myers has relayed to his agent how much he likes the coaching staff
-big part of the team culture

Injuries:
-Dhaliwal is surprised that it got out there through a national reporter (Seravalli) that Pettersson was making excuses
-finds it hard to believe that Hughes and Hronek were 100% in the playoffs
-players' choice to disclose injuries

Zadorov:
-agent rejected Canucks offer before the playoffs
-no talks with Milstein before the season ended
-Milstein pushed the Canucks to extend Zadorov when they traded for him
-was willing to do a sign and trade with Calgary

Dillon:
-wants to sign with the Canucks
-Canucks have had interest in him
-term and money will be lower than Zadorov
-makes a lot of sense if Zadorov walks

Joshua:
-doesn't believe they are close
-lots of work to get done

Misc:
-working the phones; trying to make trades & clear capspace
-things can change quickly; lots of time with the tide to turn
-has been told to not count out them re-signing
-he is sure they are trying to get somebody to take Mikheyev's contract
-not ruling anyone out
-close with some UFAs and work to do with others

Malhotra:
-very respected in the hockey world
-was told the day that his son signed with Chilliwack to not be surprised if Manny ended up coaching in the lower mainland; Dhaliwal had know idea that person meant Abbotsford
-believe a few teams across the CHL had interest in Manny as a coach
-his son wants to go NCAA; best junior A league is the BCHL
-thinks there's a lot more to the story

man... as always, thank you for these notes.

you should really re-post these summaries on twitter to wipe out taj lol

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Not scared about 3 years at all for Myers.

He’s missed like 10 games in the past five years. His game isn’t predicated on speed or skill.

That big body isn’t going to suddenly break down. His reach isn’t going to suddenly shrink.

3 years at 2.5M full NMC would be great for the Canucks.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Not scared about 3 years at all for Myers.

He’s missed like 10 games in the past five years. His game isn’t predicated on speed or skill.

That big body isn’t going to suddenly break down. His reach isn’t going to suddenly shrink.

3 years at 2.5M full NMC would be great for the Canucks.
His foot speed would be the main concern, mainly getting beaten on the rush.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Soucy did provide pre-injury. Totally anemic after that but it was there

Debatable. He had stretches of connecting on that first pass, but if we take the player on balance, he should be the least capable passer in your top5 (imo).

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Probably a typo. Probably meant "not having Joshua, and Zadorov, Signs staring Haley Joel Osment must be driving Tocchet nuts

Do not look behind the curtain! We were always at war with not having Joshua, and Zaodorv, sign must be driving Tocchet nuts!

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Boeser for Ehlers is a big downgrade. Boeser had 40 goals, played excellent 2-way hockey, was incredible in the playoffs.

Boeser plays heavy, wins board battles, not afraid to get to the dirty areas, solid 2-way.

Ehlers plays too much on the perimeter, has a tough time winning board battles and maintaining possession, needs big strong line mates to be effective.

Regular Season:

Ehlers 6’0 171
GP: 82 G:25 P:61

Boeser 6’1 208
GP: 81 G:40 P:73

Playoffs:

Boeser
GP:12 G:7 A:5 P:12 +2

Ehlers:
GP:5 G:0 A:2 P:2 -4
Boeser also had a massive bounce back in shot percentage from 10-11 the last 2 years to 19.6% (he's sitting at 13.8% career). That would have put him around 28 goals this year, and might represent a "sell high" scenario.

Definitely like the guy and think he was great in the playoffs for us, but do think he might be a good trade candidate in the right scenario (not necessarily for Ehlers, who's fairly injury prone, this season aside).

• Wow
Reactions: Chiripa20 and Red

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
A Kings fan has proposed a Fiala trade on the main boards.

I haven’t watched him play much, but he is over a PPG in 2/3 of the last 3 seasons. Would you guys do Lekkerimaki + as a base? We probably get outbid though.

I definitely would pursue Fiala. He's a hell of a player, and terrific on the PP. I would be loathe to include Lekkerimaki, but I guess that's a pretty reasonable trade. He's our only blue-chip forward prospect capable of providing top 6 projection. Fiala is 27 and has 4 years left at $7,875,000. He had 82GP, 29G, 44A, .89PGP, 62 PIM. He'd be an excellent partner for Petey but I would think you might as well go for Guentzel at a higher AAV, but he wouldn't cost assets.

Really like Fiala as a player even though his personality is kind of cocky dick. Haha.

Reactions: Chiripa20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad