Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Youre talking about a small sample size of Z where he played way above his norm. He had a good end of the seaosn and a great playoffs. However, remember he was just play so so after we traded for him, there was even talks of flipping him at the deadline.

My point is you can use such a small example and fall in love with it enough to pay him 5+ mil. Dont forget its contract year as well and we all know how easily it for GMs and fans to fall trap to contract year performances only to have the player go back to their usual norm or worse the following years after..

Big Z is a career high 23 pts.... He is 29 yrs old and we are his 5th team. We need to look at his body of work as a whole and not base our contract offers on the small sample size.

Just look at Joshua, He had a great season but we all know hes not worth 4mil a year because of the sample size of his work compared to a career year on contract yer. Why arent we being that real with Z where we look at his total body of work and not just a hot playoffs

Same logic needs to apply for Big Z
You’re not completely wrong in these points, but to me, the playoffs is what really matters when I’m looking to build for this window. If he continues to have so-so regular seasons then elevates himself (and the team) with his physical x factor and overall play on a run, then that’s what matters. Some players have it and some players don’t when the playoffs start and it’s a completely different game. Can’t completely ignore “small sample sizes” in cases like this when the sample sizes are the playoffs. Wouldn’t have even gotten out of the first round if players like Zadorov and Lindholm, who had subpar to average regular seasons (injury or not), didn’t flip a switch come playoff time.

Anyways, I won’t be mad if they don’t sign Z to what he’s asking though. I can see and agree with the logic in signing Dillon and using the extra cap elsewhere. In fact, this is what I think will happen on day 1 of free agency

Reactions: alternate

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Ekholm and Graves don't belong on that list, but part of the Zadorov allure is that he has a perfect personality for this market and we haven't had a guy like that on the team since Bieksa. Easy to replace him with a guy who checks off height and weight boxes, but not easy to replace his attitude.

Tenacity and pugnacity on the ice sure. Funny quotes to the media and hating on Alberta is not really worth much. We can't really afford to pay extra for strong media quotes with our cap situation.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Myers was a beast in the playoffs, but you're playing with fire giving him any kind of term at his age and with his inconsistent history

Myers cross checks to clear out opponents from front of the net, face wash/punches in scrums, slightly akward but effective checks are not penalties and are not called in the playoffs but for some reason are called in the regular season. We’re going to have to live with inconsistent regular season play as long as he brings it in the playoffs I’m fine with it.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
With veteran sniper Tyler Toffoli prepared to test the free agent waters July 1 as an unrestricted free agent, two of his former teams are expected to come calling.

TFP’s David Pagnotta has reported the Vancouver Canucks and Los Angeles Kings are going after Toffoli as a free agent this summer.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
With veteran sniper Tyler Toffoli prepared to test the free agent waters July 1 as an unrestricted free agent, two of his former teams are expected to come calling.

TFP’s David Pagnotta has reported the Vancouver Canucks and Los Angeles Kings are going after Toffoli as a free agent this summer.

Wouldnt be my first option. We need speed. Id take Duclair over Toffoli.

IMO we need 2 more Wingers for the top 6. Geuntzel and a forward with speed is the dream.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I disagree.

Myers’s mobility has been fine - it hasn't dropped off at all and he’s been very healthy the past five years. He’s coming off his best year where he’s keeping things simple and leveraging his size and reach to defend well.

By year 3, his 2.5M cap hit will be appropriate for a solid #6 defenseman. Not losing any sleep over this at all. Way bigger problems at stake.

Fair enough but I totally disagree. Every player who is overly large needs to be concerned about their mobility. That's the the first thing a good attacker looks to exploit. You certainly don't try to outmuscle these types of players. It's just physics, like small players need to be concerned about physicality. It can be overcome but it always bears watching, especially as aging occurs.

Myers has been simply awful at retrieving and doing something intelligent with pucks put into his corner on the boards for the previous 4 years of this contract. It's only this year the coaches finally got him to just stop going there and screwing around if he isn't 100% sure he can get to the puck and make a strong play. For a player his size it's simply amazing how much trouble he has clearing the puck unless he's skating it out.

Yeah he looked fine this year but he's right at that age where things go downhill fast. I agree with @bossram, he's a player you extend year by year at that age. I'd be comfortable giving him 2 years but 3 is definitely got some risk attached to it no matter how much one believes in Myers, just like any 37 year old. Like you said, the dollars aren't huge so the risk is minimized in that sense.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016

I’d be interested in Toffoli only if:

1) we can’t sign the other, better top 6 forwards like Guentzel, Reinhart, and Lindholm (assuming their demands aren’t insane);
2) the cap hit is $5 million or less and 3 years or less; and
3) his contract does not prevent us from re-signing Zadorov/Joshua.

Basically, he’s a last resort signing.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Wouldnt be my first option. We need speed. Id take Duclair over Toffoli.

IMO we need 2 more Wingers for the top 6. Geuntzel and a forward with speed is the dream.
No one’s slower than Matt Tkachuck and look how he’s performing in the playoffs.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I wonder if Utah might be a good place for Mikheyev to land. They got Simashev inbound possibly as soon as the last few months of the 2024-2025 season. But there's no Russians on their roster to help ease the transition.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Sat was saying on 650 yesterday the rumor is toffoli wants to go back and play in the states

That was the rumour at the trade deadline as well.

I wonder if Utah might be a good place for Mikheyev to land. They got Simashev inbound possibly as soon as the last few months of the 2024-2025 season. But there's no Russians on their roster to help ease the transition.

Would make some sense but it will be interested what they end up doing. Probably the biggest wild card of the entire off season.

Reactions: oceanchild

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The big D allowed the team to "protect the gut." Most of the season they did a good job reducing high danger scoring chances. So yeah, they traded defensive zone time for keeping shots to the perimeter, and it worked well.

What happens when a average or smaller d pairing doesn't get the puck out immediately? We even saw stretches where Quinn and Hronek would get stuck in their zone, and they'd get over powered around the net. Didn't happen often because of the quality of the players, but you're not finding comparable players (especially Hughes) on the free agent market.

But really, what you are asking for is a change to the defensive system. Tocchet wants players going to their defensive land marks, to protect cross ice passes, and keep the front of the net clear. You want a defensive system that recovers pucks and starts the transition before the other team gets set up. This team isn't built to play that way, and it's clearly not the style Allvin nor Tocchet want to run.

Think Allvin's comments about splitting Hughes and Hronek recognize the need to have more plus transition play on other pairings. But can't see the organization completely changing the philosophy that had so much success this season.

It's the same philosophy or system, just the better side of it. Ideally, the team tries to keep the puck on the opposition's boards in order to execute a high-low and prevent odd man rushes against. They can't do any of that if they're turtling in their own zone. And so to avoid turtling, they need to be better at moving the puck up ice from the Dzone, and that's where the Dmen aside from Hughes, Hronek and sometimes Myers struggle.

In other words, the bigger Dmen showing well while turtling belies the reason they had to turtle in the first place.

As to the players, you don't need players on the level of Hughes or Hronek to achieve it either. Walker, DeMelo, Tanev etc... can all play this style, and all are better passers than Soucy, and perhaps even Myers.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'd be okay for 3 years with Myers at sub $3m. But not with a NMC in the final year. Some trade protection will be assumed, but need to be able to remove him from the roster if his play merits it.

Only way I'd give him a NMC is if the contract was structured to where that third year is very buyout friendly. That way we can opt to do just that if needed

Reactions: alternate

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
It really depends on what they want. If Joshua signs for 3x4 with say, the Leafs, I'd be pissed. Likewise, if Zadorov bounced somewhere for 5x6. That would make me really nervous management is trying to play cheapskate or has far too much faith in the likes of Podkolzin to replace what we're losing.

Nothing against the kid but I want to see growth before gifting him a top nine role.

On the flipside, if Joshua gets 4x5 from the leafs and we chase the likes of Guentzel, Bertuzzi, Fiala or whoever else that will make a huge impact, all his forgiven and I'll wish Zadorov and Joshua the best.

All I want to see is a consistent direction not throwing money out like candy or penny pinching and having to pick up scraps.

Yeah this is a completely reasonable take. You can't go crazy on the $$$ as there's a cap to consider, and you have to weigh the impact of each dollar spent on your roster.

The intangible impact of losing all that physicality though will be felt and does have some monetary value associated with it, how much of it is the big question.

Feb 19, 2018
I’d rather have Tanev and Zadorov at $10 million than Hronek at $8 million. It seems like it’s pretty much there for the taking and both players want to be here.

With the fact you’ll also get assets for Hronek it seems like a no brainer. If we somehow manage Zadorov, Tanev, Myers and Guentzel with losing Hronek and Mikheyev we have had a successful offseason.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Viktor Persson hasn't played in 18 months. He did look decent in that 2022 camp but yeah...

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I’m surprise Ben King is on the list. Played last season on an AHL deal and produced good results. Wouldn’t be opposed to signing him.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
I’m surprise Ben King is on the list. Played last season on an AHL deal and produced good results. Wouldn’t be opposed to signing him.
RH shot center man, played with Bains in Juniors, worth a look.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
RH shot center man, played with Bains in Juniors, worth a look.

I’m curious if he’s still playing centre and if his skating has shown any improvement. I don’t know why he hasn’t received an ELC and his numbers last season are pretty good for a rookie pro.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Just noticed Graham Sward on the list. I was interested in him in the draft. 20 year old Abbotsford kid that had 81 points as a LD in the WHL last season. @MS any reason you can think of he hasn’t been signed to an ELC?

Reactions: timw33

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I read that Myers will likely be signed with a 3x3 extension?

If that's credible, it would be...ok I guess? I personally would like it a little lower but 3m is not too bad, as long as he continues to worship only ONE of the four chaos gods instead of all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad