Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I read that Myers will likely be signed with a 3x3 extension?

If that's credible, it would be...ok I guess? I personally would like it a little lower but 3m is not too bad, as long as he continues to worship only ONE of the four chaos gods instead of all of them.

And where did you read this?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Actually it says a tad under 3m

Okay. This was talked about yesterday from Dhaliwal.

For the proposed 3y/3m. If they are going three years it has to come with a deep discount on the cap hit. 2y/2.75m is a good home town deal but for three years I’d want that to be at 2m even at the most. At his age, the extra year is a pretty big commitment.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
One thing people have a flawed perception of is taking a discount.

It doesn’t automatically mean that the player is their best option.

Very obviously Myers’ best season in VAN but you want him down in minutes next season. If he falls off, he’ll be at a not insignificant cap hit with full trade protection.

Not saying that I wouldn’t do 2.75x2 or so, but more so that I don’t see it as some huge win.

Yikes at Zadorov for 6-7 years. Hopefully Toronto or someone else gives him that.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Florida walked away from Gudas and he had a better playoffs than Zads. You can’t fall in love with guys especially bottom of the roster guys.
Zadorov was our number three defensemen in the playoffs based on average time on ice. Gudas was their number five defensemen. Zadorov, in terms of time of ice, was their Ekblad last year.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The only way that you give Zadorov $5m+ for term is if you decide that he's been stuck behind other left side defenceman for the past few seasons in Vancouver and Calgary and he's a true talent #3 defenceman. I think it comes down to either signing him or signing Hronek.

That's a tough call to make. Personally, I see signing him as a lower upside but also lower downside risk than signing Hronek. It will be tougher to replace Hronek but I'm not sold that he's individually all that impactful. In addition, after seeing Hughes get banged around in the playoffs, I'd like to see more size on the ice with him.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Very obviously Myers’ best season in VAN but you want him down in minutes next season. If he falls off, he’ll be at a not insignificant cap hit with full trade protection.

Not saying that I wouldn’t do 2.75x2 or so, but more so that I don’t see it as some huge win.

Yikes at Zadorov for 6-7 years. Hopefully Toronto or someone else gives him that.

have said before i'd give myers something like 2m x 4 years, with the full understanding that if/when he's no longer able to play at a high enough level (which could mean being capble of playing a certain number of minutes, or just flat out making the team) in two or three years, he's retiring and walking away from the 4th year to take a job somewhere in the organization.

perfectly fine giving him a retirement contract (wow, what a world), but only on the condition that there has to be a mutual understanding that in exchange for an ntc/nmc (and i wouldn't give him an nmc), the timing of his retirement is at the team's discretion.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

In a world where Gudbranson continually gets opportunities, Myers is being re-signed to an extension for his +35 seasons—I think there is limited risk in signing a big tough defenseman for that long and worrying about being unable to move the contract if he falls off a cliff.

The scary thing would be giving him term and a NMC/powerful NTC.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Why not keep Hronek and Zadorov and don’t sign Myers? I think we can agree they're younger and have more miles of better hockey than Myers.

Hughes - Zadorov
Soucy - Hronek
______ - Juulsen
*______

Hopefully Juulsen learns not look for big hits which results in goals against next year. Otherwise, he should be fine as a #6 for 775k.

Reactions: quat

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

It's all cap manoeuvrability. If you let Myers walk you're looking for a new partner for Soucy that will provide equivalent utility (ie. probably ~18 minutes per night) on the right side. I would wager that would cost you $4M+ AAV for a younger free agent ... it certainly isn't Juulsen. By giving Myers let's say $2.75-$3M you lockdown the right-side spot at probably significantly below what you'd be paying otherwise for that profile. Guys like Walker, Roy etc. are estimated at $5M+ AAV, while even Carrier is expected to get $4M+ AAV.

It's low hanging fruit to get some salary efficiency that hopefully allows you to either keep someone else, or add to the line-up.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
i think when you consider what he actually brings to the team, he's worth like 4m on the open market. there's a stigma around his name since he WAS so overpaid, especially in year 1-4 of the contract.

Like if you took his name out of the equation and only knew what this "player-x" would bring to the table, there would be a TON of talk about him getting money in the $4M's

Guy coming off a 30 point pace, PLUS player, 20ish minutes a night, right side, SIZE, blocks and hits at a decent rate... like... where do you get that? Guys like Pesce are comparable and he'll get money in the 4's or 5's and he's on a DOWN trend.

if he signs here in the 2's, you'll get really good bang for your buck.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Why not keep Hronek and Zadorov and don’t sign Myers? I think we can agree they're younger and have more miles of better hockey than Myers.

Hughes - Zadorov
Soucy - Hronek
______ - Juulsen
*______

Hopefully Juulsen learns not look for big hits which results in goals against next year. Otherwise, he should be fine as a #6 for 775k.
Because Zadorov and Hronek are looking to cash in while Myers seems to be willing to take a discount.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I honestly think people are obsessing way too much about cap space this year.

Overpaying a player who has been a huge performer in the playoffs every single time like Zadorov is not the worst thing in the world.

The salary is going up significantly every single season, 4/5 defenders are going to be making around 5 million soon.

I hope Vancouver decides to keep him, especially if it costs around 5x5.

Last edited:
Reactions: quat and oba

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Secondly, I think it’s time to let go of Bleuger, I think it’s important to have a young guy take that spot, like a Raty or sasson, and these guys a significant opportunity early in the season.

I have no doubt on my mind we’re gonna make the playoffs, we could always trade for a third line centre at the deadline if it’s not working up to playoff level.

Another thing, Lindholm is bad cap managment if hes gonna be a 3C here, makes no sense.

This entire off-season is going to depend on what they do with Hronek, it dictates everything

oba

Feb 2, 2024
Bennett dukes Marchand.
ain't no Sedin there ....
I honestly think people are obsessing way too much about cash space this year.

Overpaying a player who has been a huge performer in the playoffs every single time like Zadorov is not the worst thing in the world.

The salary is going up significantly every single season, 4/5 defenders are going to be making around 5 million soon.

It's not overpaying when he drags other overpaid players into the ### fight ...

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Because Zadorov and Hronek are looking to cash in while Myers seems to be willing to take a discount.

It’s been reported that management knows Z’s number. I don’t think they’re far off, we know he wants to be here.

Hronek is RFA, so doesn’t matter what he’s looking for, we own his rights, even if it’s for 1 year.

I like Myers and he’s been a character guy. But he’ll be 35 next year and foot speed is clearly an issue moving forward. Tying up 2-3M for 2-3 years is not ideal, we can use the cap to upgrade in other areas. I’m fine with Juulsen replacing him next year for 775k instead. I’m not ok with Juulsen replacing Hronek or Zadorov. I think that makes my decision.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I honestly think people are obsessing way too much about cap space this year.

We are currently in our win-now window for a Cup. This is exactly the right time to be “obsessing” over cap space.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
We are currently in our win-now window for a Cup. This is exactly the right time to be “obsessing” over cap space.
Not if you lose a massive part of our identity in the second half and playoffs.

Zadorov brought a lot more than just hits and physical play, he was talkative, tochett seems to love the guy, he protects teammates also, he is a beast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad