Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Let the negotiations through the media begin!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Not if you lose a massive part of our identity in the second half and playoffs.

Zadorov brought a lot more than just hits and physical play, he was talkative, tochett seems to love the guy, he protects teammates also, he is a beast
It’s all a balancing act. The team needs to consider having space in the coming years to re-sign Boeser, Hughes, and Demko. And upgrading our top 6 might be a big priority this summer since we struggled to score and our PP was trash in the playoffs.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Secondly, I think it’s time to let go of Bleuger, I think it’s important to have a young guy take that spot, like a Raty or sasson, and these guys a significant opportunity early in the season.

I have no doubt on my mind we’re gonna make the playoffs, we could always trade for a third line centre at the deadline if it’s not working up to playoff level.

Another thing, Lindholm is bad cap managment if hes gonna be a 3C here, makes no sense.

This entire off-season is going to depend on what they do with Hronek, it dictates everything

I'd rather have Blueger and trade him at the deadline or next off season because Raty or Sasson took an extra step than gift one of them the third line center spot and hope they hit the ground running because if they don't, suddenly we have a big hole to fill.

Of course, this depends on who else we're able to sign. If letting Blueger go means we can fit in Guentzel, then you do it every day without a second thought. If it's just to give the kids a spot... I'd rather sign Blueger.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I honestly think people are obsessing way too much about cash space this year.

Overpaying a player who has been a huge performer in the playoffs every single time like Zadorov is not the worst thing in the world.

The salary is going up significantly every single season, 4/5 defenders are going to be making around 5 million soon.

I hope Vancouver decides to keep him, especially if it costs around 5x5.

Cap space and how we use it is going to be the far and away determining factor of how successful we'll be in the next 4-6 years. I think it's very prudent and necessary to be concerned about it if you have any hopes of winning.

We have to be extremely careful and correct and if you know it's an over-payment it should be throwing up huge red flags. Very inefficient having a $5 mil 3LD when we don't even have a 1RD, or 2RD right now. Heck, we technically don't even have a 3RD, as Juulsen is a #7 at best, although he might just end up a starter due to our limited cap space.

Where did you get that he's been a huge performer in the playoffs every single time from? His entire stat sheet is rather underwhelming. I remember him being serviceable with Colorado on their playoff buildup years but nothing great. He did nothing at all in Calgary. Other than this season, four uninspiring performances, 11 points in 45 games and a couple of second round knockouts.

1717346937136.png

This player should be looking at a $4 by 4 year contract. That I would be happy to sign. 5 million is way to much for a guy that's going to get you about 15-20 points a season. He's huge and a great deterrent but he's not a great defender by any stretch and has many poor games and plays mixed with some very impactful games. If they do sign him for a larger contract I sure hope they have a great plan to get the more important RD pieces.

Last edited:

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
________ - Miller (8) - Boeser (6.65)
Hoglander (1.1) - Pettersson (11.6) - ______
Suter (1.6) - Lindholm (7) - Garland (4.95)
PDG (0.775) - Aman (0.825) - Podkolzin (1)
*Bains (0.811)

Hughes (7.85) - Zadorov (5)
Soucy (3.25) - Hronek (7)
______ - Juulsen (0.775)
*________

Demko (5)
Silovs (1)

OEL buyout: 2.4M

Total: 76.586M

Cap space: 11.114M

What’s wrong with this? In this scenario, we let Blueger walk if we can keep Lindholm. If Lindholm is looking for more than 7M, than we should walk away. But this keeps our strong versatile team together with roughly 11M to plug holes.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
*Bains (0.811)

______ - Juulsen (0.775)
*________

Demko (5)
Silovs (1)

What’s wrong with this? In this scenario, we let Blueger walk if we can keep Lindholm. If Lindholm is looking for more than 7M, than we should walk away. But this keeps our strong versatile team together with roughly 11M to plug holes.
I'd much rather sign Blueger than Lindholm and use the cap savings to add 2 quality top 6 wingers.

Lindholm had 13 5v5 points in 39 games as a Canuck this year
Lindholm had 30 5v5 points in 88 games between both VAN/CGY this year
Blueger had 24 5v5 points in 81 games as a Canuck this year

Unless Lindholm played a large majority of the season with an injury that hampered his production, him at $7M over Blueger at like $2M doesn't make sense to me.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
*Bains (0.811)

______ - Juulsen (0.775)
*________

Demko (5)
Silovs (1)

How much does the cap raise the following season? Oel's buyout goes up another 2.4m. If you want to keep Boeser and Hoglander they both need raises.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
*Bains (0.811)

______ - Juulsen (0.775)
*________

Demko (5)
Silovs (1)

Zadorov doesn’t play the right side.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
How much does the cap raise the following season? Oel's buyout goes up another 2.4m. If you want to keep Boeser and Hoglander they both need raises.
We would have to insert Lekkermakki and Willander. Perhaps if Hoglander has a similar type of playoffs, we trade him? There’s always the tough decision to trade Garland if we have too, but I’d say we cross the bridge when we get there.

He does but our coaching staff prefers to keep players on their natural side. In-game, throughout the playoffs Zadorov was paired with Hughes. So there’s some precedent.

I don’t think they’d be thrilled at playing him on the right side regularly, though.
We can sign Myers for 1 year in that scenario. So theoretically Juulsen is replacing Cole.

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Zadorov - Juulsen

Roughly 8M remaining. I’d be looking at 1 year prove me deals like the Leafs did with Bertuzzi and Domi. OR we can keep the cap space, plug in cheap players and make our splashes at the deadline when it’s easier to make moves for cap.

Last edited:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Secondly, I think it’s time to let go of Bleuger, I think it’s important to have a young guy take that spot, like a Raty or sasson, and these guys a significant opportunity early in the season.

I have no doubt on my mind we’re gonna make the playoffs, we could always trade for a third line centre at the deadline if it’s not working up to playoff level.

Another thing, Lindholm is bad cap managment if hes gonna be a 3C here, makes no sense.

This entire off-season is going to depend on what they do with Hronek, it dictates everything
Bluegar as C is what allows us to play that as a checking line when needed. With Raty or Sasson we likely have to shelter them unless they absolutely over perform defensively as rookies

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Bluegar as C is what allows us to play that as a checking line when needed. With Raty or Sasson we likely have to shelter them unless they absolutely over perform defensively as rookies
Yeah. A good team like Van cannot go into the season relying on a Raty or Sasson to play 3C. Blueger on a similar contract is exactly the guy that hopefully one of those guys will be able to beat out in camp. If we don’t sign blueger than we need someone to play that role.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yeah. A good team like Van cannot go into the season relying on a Raty or Sasson to play 3C. Blueger on a similar contract is exactly the guy that hopefully one of those guys will be able to beat out in camp. If we don’t sign blueger than we need someone to play that role.

I kinda like the idea of having a cheap-ass tandem for the 3C hole.

Reactions: supercanuck

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
On D there is a way forward with all of Hronek Zadorov and Myers. Just have to use a Juulsen/Friedman until the deadline. If not getting Dillon and/or Edmundson should be a priority.

In goal we can save 500k by using Silovs.

At forward...we need a top6. Instead of Lindholm getting massively overpaid and us still needing speed and hard on the puck playoff players trade his rights for DeBrusks rights. 2 yrs younger and probably a couple million cheaper.

Lekkerimaki we need a 1 yr bridge....Arvidsson Toffoli Perron Amadio.

Joshua is a no brainer r e sign if he's around 3 for me.

3C - offer Blueger a 1yr or use Suter to insulate Raty. If Raty is not the answer then they may have to find one via the trade route.

Hoglander Bains Podkolzin Sasson Amen Karlsson should give us some 9-15 forwards with a few smart signings.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
In a world where Gudbranson continually gets opportunities, Myers is being re-signed to an extension for his +35 seasons—I think there is limited risk in signing a big tough defenseman for that long and worrying about being unable to move the contract if he falls off a cliff.

The scary thing would be giving him term and a NMC/powerful NTC.
I feel quite confident in saying that no one in Myers’ shoes is taking a discount without protection. At the very least, full protection in Y1 and partial in Y2.
It's all cap manoeuvrability. If you let Myers walk you're looking for a new partner for Soucy that will provide equivalent utility (ie. probably ~18 minutes per night) on the right side. I would wager that would cost you $4M+ AAV for a younger free agent ... it certainly isn't Juulsen. By giving Myers let's say $2.75-$3M you lockdown the right-side spot at probably significantly below what you'd be paying otherwise for that profile. Guys like Walker, Roy etc. are estimated at $5M+ AAV, while even Carrier is expected to get $4M+ AAV.

It's low hanging fruit to get some salary efficiency that hopefully allows you to either keep someone else, or add to the line-up.
But they need to upgrade on that spot. Sure they defended their own zone well, but you can’t run two pairings that will get hemmed come playoff time.

The natural progression here needs to be Myers shifting down into Cole’s spot.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Groundhog Day

Looks like Jim may run out of time.
I called it, but I didn't expect people would be crying about this a month early.

One for the key features of the 2020 season that got us where we were is Franky turned the money taps off because covid crippled revenue. This year they have amassed a big warchest of playoff revenue.
It's just good business for the Canucks to say see ya to most of these guys and use the resources to improve instead of try to keep together a not-good-enough group that's going to become still-not-good-enough-but-more-expensive.
I also have a good deal of faith that the Canucks can identify the next bunch of glue guys better than Benning did in 2020. Their pro scouting has been much better.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Having Zadorov next to Hughes is nice in that he can destroy anyone that touches him. I think we missed that a bit this year in the playoffs.

Usually there is a clear message sent that if you target our stars, we will go twice as hard on yours (or your goalie). Nashville did not seem the slightest bit worried about targeting Hughes. Edmonton wasn't able to hit him to the same degree, but the damage was done and he was clearly banged up from the first series .

Unless we make some philosophical changes, teams are going to do that every single post season because so much of the offense runs through him.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Having Zadorov next to Hughes is nice in that he can destroy anyone that touches him.
Zadarov very rarely played next to Hughes. They're both left side d-men.

It's funny people make things up to justify overpaying and keeping their favourite player. Management is going to be ruthless, it'll be justified and necessary, brace yourselves.

Reactions: Nick Lang and quat

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006

It's funny people make things up to justify overpaying and keeping their favourite player. Management is going to be ruthless, it'll be justified and necessary, brace yourselves.
I wasnt justifying anything, I was commenting on the discussion that has been going on in this about him playing the right side in the past.

If he returns he should be on the 2nd pair, but he certainly brings something Hronek does not

Reactions: quat

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Yeah I love General Zad, I also understand that our management had made it abundantly clear that they do NOT f*** around, at all.

He wasn't played with Hughes much, but I enjoyed watching them together - like I mentioned before, when Zad steps on ice next to Hughes you can tell the opposing players went from "let get him" to "oh f*** oh f*** oh f*** oh f*** oh f*** oh f***" real fast.

I don't mind overpaying him a bit, the amount of swag and intangibles he brings to the team are incredible. Of course, the devil is always in the details, all depends on how much of an overpayment it will be. Given our cap situation, I know our margin for such overpayment won't be high.

I trust our management to make the right decisions, whatever they maybe.

Reactions: quat

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
He does but our coaching staff prefers to keep players on their natural side. In-game, throughout the playoffs Zadorov was paired with Hughes. So there’s some precedent.

I don’t think they’d be thrilled at playing him on the right side regularly, though.
I feel like I had the discussion before but Zadorov played about 30 mins on the right side in playoffs all with Hughes and it was all when they were down trying to generate offence. Out of Cole and Zadorov, Cole was always moved to the right side when they had to many lefties in the lineup. So, I checked Zadorov in his career has played with Gudbranson, Tanev, Cole, Juulsen, Weegar, Murphy, Stone, Stecher, Myers, Andersson, Murphy, Barrie, Johnson. All right shot defence-man. The only time he played on the right side is in Colorado (still not a ton), where he played with Girard and Nemeth.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I feel like I had the discussion before but Zadorov played about 30 mins on the right side in playoffs all with Hughes and it was all when they were down trying to generate offence. Out of Cole and Zadorov, Cole was always moved to the right side when they had to many lefties in the lineup. So, I checked Zadorov in his career has played with Gudbranson, Tanev, Cole, Juulsen, Weegar, Murphy, Stone, Stecher, Myers, Andersson, Murphy, Barrie, Johnson. All right shot defence-man. The only time he played on the right side is in Colorado (still not a ton), where he played with Girard and Nemeth.

girard plays on the right with colorado pretty frequently. i wouldn't bet zadorov's minutes with him were on the right side

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I do wish Tocchet wasn’t so stubborn about guys playing their off sides, like Soucy for example has played a ton of minutes as a RD but I don’t think Tocchet ever had him there.

Meanwhile Vegas has never cared, they just want the best roster they can put together.

I know Tocchet played Cole at RD but you could tell he didn’t love that he had to and if Cole wasn’t such a respected vet I bet he would’ve played Juulsen more and rotated between them in that RD3 spot.

Reactions: Nopefully

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I feel quite confident in saying that no one in Myers’ shoes is taking a discount without protection. At the very least, full protection in Y1 and partial in Y2.

But they need to upgrade on that spot. Sure they defended their own zone well, but you can’t run two pairings that will get hemmed come playoff time.

The natural progression here needs to be Myers shifting down into Cole’s spot.

I highly doubt they can secure an upgrade on Myers and keep Hronek. Part of keeping Hronek will be to continue to run Soucy-Myers as a relatively affordable pair (~$6M AAV for both players) and try to upgrade elsewhere.

If you trade Hronek I think you look at keeping Zadorov, finding a new partner for Hughes through free agency, and trying to find a Juulsen upgrade for the bottom pair at a relatively low price. Still, I don't think the Soucy-Myers pair is going anywhere regardless. If Hronek stays you probably let Zadorov walk, sign Dillon to make-up the difference on the salary bottom-pair left side, and go from there.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
with the way the playoff schedule for the finals is being put out there. could we see teams picking up trade talks or they wait until draft-day heading into free agency july 1st? so it doesntt take attention away from the it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad