Rumor: Canucks Interested in Zacha

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Rutherford has stated he’s not trading any high picks…. So unless devils are taking some dead cap space back, that’s likely not going to happen (from Canucks).
the devils have no urgency to move on from zacha. he still is a top 9 wing on the roster, he can play center, if needed, and his qualifying offer is reasonable and won't mess up the devils cap situation.

if there is no market for him today, they can play the waiting game. a hot streak could push his trade value up for a future trade.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I can only see zacha being included in a larger package. Otherwise, we’d need devils to take back a player like poolman/Dickinson…

If Devils like Poolman as a bottom pairing RHD, that could make a lot of sense. Our strength in the prospect pool is our LHD. A defensive RHD to play PK and play on the third pairing with the younger guys could work well.

The only real issue is it’s an awkwardly long and pricey deal for that type of player. I would probably only do it if Garland is coming along in the deal with him and you get him cheaper because of it. Then you could look at it as you should be paying Garland close to 6 and Poolman close to 1.5 so it evens itself out.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If Devils like Poolman as a bottom pairing RHD, that could make a lot of sense. Our strength in the prospect pool is our LHD. A defensive RHD to play PK and play on the third pairing with the younger guys could work well.

The only real issue is it’s an awkwardly long and pricey deal for that type of player. I would probably only do it if Garland is coming along in the deal with him and you get him cheaper because of it. Then you could look at it as you should be paying Garland close to 6 and Poolman close to 1.5 so it evens itself out.
Fair enough but for the Canucks garland isn’t a sweetner to get rid of poolman/Dickinson. So don’t really see a deal that makes sense revolving around zacha.

Also Boeser is likely more expendable than garland too.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Devil’s advocate… turning around depreciated assets is the way that teams often end up winning trades.

You must literally be the New Jersey Devils' advocate lmao.

Flipping depressed assets only works if there is some indication the asset is being undervalued. A guy like Carter Verhaeghe with great underlying stats? Good bet. Zacha? He's just not good, so not really.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Thatcher Demko embarrassed the leafs...

Toronto outshot them 53 to 24...

only 1 thing matters at the end of the game...outscoring your opponent and WINNING the game, exactly what the Canucks did to a so called top caliber team haha!! A team that can't even win a playoff round

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
How so? Poolman has negative value, probably at least a 2nd round pick's worth.

You can adjust a bit but I don't see how that's too far off.

Because were giving up the far better asset and just to get rid of Poolman who we can put on a bottom pairing and just let him play out the contract.

Not at all worth getting rid of a negative contract.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Because were giving up the far better asset and just to get rid of Poolman who we can put on a bottom pairing and just let him play out the contract.

We have several undesirable contracts, some of which we need to get rid of to round out the roster if the plan is a 2-year retool.

If the plan was to wait 3 years for all of them to expire, then I would agree with you.

Cap space is not cheap in today's NHL. Nate Schmidt got traded twice for a 3rd round pick just so no cap came back the other way.

We open up roughly 6M in cap through this trade, give or take depending on Zacha's new contract.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site

this. ppl going on about Poolman being the worst anchor .. $2.5M for 3 more years is not brutal, the guy can play. Strongly dislike Boeser going for this return, and no interest in Severson, need <25 guys

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
We have several undesirable contracts, some of which we need to get rid of to round out the roster if the plan is a 2-year retool.

If the plan was to wait 3 years for all of them to expire, then I would agree with you.

Cap space is not cheap in today's NHL. Nate Schmidt got traded twice for a 3rd round pick just so no cap came back the other way.

We open up roughly 6M in cap through this trade, give or take depending on Zacha's new contract.

Still don't think it's worth getting rid of one of the only players who looks like a consistent scorer on a team that severely lacks goal scoring.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
this. ppl going on about Poolman being the worst anchor .. $2.5M for 3 more years is not brutal, the guy can play. Strongly dislike Boeser going for this return, and no interest in Severson, need <25 guys

With Schenn, Burroughs and Juulsen already in the organization, we have no need for a #6 defensive RD like Poolman.

Guys getting paid league minimum can do his job just fine, why do we need to pay him 2.5M for 3 more years?

If it's not Poolman then it's Dickinson or Pearson.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
With Schenn, Burroughs and Juulsen already in the organization, we have no need for a #6 defensive RD like Poolman.

Guys getting paid league minimum can do his job just fine, why do we need to pay him 2.5M for 3 more years?

If it's not Poolman then it's Dickinson or Pearson.

Ready? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you got to be kidding me. Burroughs as much as I like him is an AHL Dman, same with Juulsen.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Ready? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you got to be kidding me. Burroughs as much as I like him is an AHL Dman, same with Juulsen.

I mean none of the options I mentioned are great but they are 6/7/8 D-men for a reason.

Nothing Poolman has shown suggests to me he's significantly better than any of them, yet being paid over 3x as much.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Fair enough but for the Canucks garland isn’t a sweetner to get rid of poolman/Dickinson. So don’t really see a deal that makes sense revolving around zacha.

Also Boeser is likely more expendable than garland too.

That’s fair. It’s also tough to see how the Devils fit in Boeser and Bratt long term though.

The Devils biggest need at the moment (aside from goaltending) is skilled forwards with some size to diversify the forward group. Too many undersized or softer guys in the top nine outside of the core forwards. Adding Boeser would take up a good chunk of cap space that could address that.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I mean none of the options I mentioned are great but they are 6/7/8 D-men for a reason.

Nothing Poolman has shown suggests to me he's significantly better than any of them, yet being paid over 3x as much.

And nothing would suggest to me that we need to move out a 2.5 million dollar bottom pairing dman at the expense of one of our best young players.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
And nothing would suggest to me that we need to move out a 2.5 million dollar bottom pairing dman at the expense of one of our best young players.

Just brainstorming how this trade could make sense.

We don't have cap space for Zacha without moving out cap. So if this trade actually does go down, we're either getting rid of a more expensive player and/or getting rid of a cap dump.

Either way, we need to send value one way or another for freeing up cap.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Just brainstorming how this trade could make sense.

We don't have cap space for Zacha without moving out cap. So if this trade actually does go down, we're either getting rid of a more expensive player and/or getting rid of a cap dump.

Either way, we need to send value one way or another for freeing up cap.

Yah I get where your coming from here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad