Rumor: Canucks Interested in Zacha

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
We need that dude though. Myers gives us all heart attack already, but he brings a lot of other stuff to the table. Offense being channeled through Hughes and OEL mean we have very little need for more of that without filling our team need for a stay at home, defensively sound, RHD.

I actually think Severson could work well with Hughes. Severson paired with Ty Smith last season and it was one of the best pairings in the NHL. Then Smith fell off a cliff and the pairing got broken up. Severson has an all-offense reputation, but he's really more of a two way guy, and playing with a talent like Hughes I think he would look to facilitate rather than lead the offense, and that's when I think he works best.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Switch Zacha to Hischier maybe. Devils fans overrate the shit out of their players.
Likewise.

Severson defensively solid? Lol.
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. He makes mistakes occasionally, but most of the time he is defensively solid. Overall he is a good 2-way dman.

Canucks are not trading Garland for Severson.
Good. The Devils are not trading Severson for Garland.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
you are posting in a rumour thread, which says 'vancouver interested in zacha'. so the available piece from the devils seems to be zacha. :dunno:
and I would be willing to put money on the return not being Boeser/Garland.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
that's a bad idea from a nj perspective at that point in time. the core is still very young and developing and goaltending could easily keep them out of the po. the devils aren't good enough to offer potential lottery picks for win now pieces.
While I agree with this sentiment about the core, it wont last as long as it seems

Nico Hischier already has four years left and Jack just signed, so three years from now Nico will be reaching UFA soon and Jack halfway through his sweetheart deal

Im fully on board if we can get a good player coming in on an ELC then, but also thats what other rounds are for and why we pay for great scouting recently.

I think that 1st can be used to better supplement talent we are missing on the wings of our already-elite and right-now entering primes centers. Thats what Im more focused on - improving our already drafted talent instead of perpetually looking toward a draft two years away

We are picking high again this year and possibly twice in the first if we work our cards right. Next year's 1st should be the first we begin to look at shopping and actually improving the team now, not 3-4 years from now when the player we pick in 2023 shows up

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I actually think Severson could work well with Hughes. Severson paired with Ty Smith last season and it was one of the best pairings in the NHL. Then Smith fell off a cliff and the pairing got broken up. Severson has an all-offense reputation, but he's really more of a two way guy, and playing with a talent like Hughes I think he would look to facilitate rather than lead the offense, and that's when I think he works best.

Even two way doesn't really do it for us.

So far our best fit has been Luke Schenn, who has no reputation for offense or even being two way. Hamonic, of all players, is too offensive for the same fit, if you can believe it.

I mean Hughes can be paired with a literal pillar of stone on the ice, and he'd find a way to produce offense, at least I'd think so. I don't know that we need any more pieces to help offense on our back end, at least until the looming hole is filled. In addition to Hughes, OEL, Myers and even Burroughs and Hunt, we have Rathbone waiting in the wings, and has proven some great play making in the NHL in small samples.

I'm not saying Severson wouldn't be appreciated, but I don't see us having interest in him specifically, unless he came at a steep discount.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Likewise.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. He makes mistakes occasionally, but most of the time he is defensively solid. Overall he is a good 2-way dman.

Good. The Devils are not trading Severson for Garland.
Don’t worry about that guy he wouldn’t trade a 7th for Jack Hughes and Nico.. knows nothing about the Devils just talks about how we overrate our players and while severely overrating his own players. He’s to the point that he’s basically a troll

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Even two way doesn't really do it for us.

So far our best fit has been Luke Schenn, who has no reputation for offense or even being two way. Hamonic, of all players, is too offensive for the same fit, if you can believe it.

I mean Hughes can be paired with a literal pillar of stone on the ice, and he'd find a way to produce offense, at least I'd think so. I don't know that we need any more pieces to help offense on our back end, at least until the looming hole is filled. In addition to Hughes, OEL, Myers and even Burroughs and Hunt, we have Rathbone waiting in the wings, and has proven some great play making in the NHL in small samples.

I'm not saying Severson wouldn't be appreciated, but I don't see us having interest in him specifically, unless he came at a steep discount.

Agree with this. I'm really hoping the new management team and coaching staff see this and pay attention. Clearly Hughes is best utilized with a boring stay at home defender. Severson looks like a great player but unless we could somehow shed Myers, I think he's the wrong fit on our right side. Would be interested in Zacha but not at the expense of Boeser I don't think.

Reactions: Cogburn

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Washington need a replacement for Mantha.

I'll be down for a Zacha for Samsonov swap

I really don't think the Caps should do that, but I suppose they theoretically could move on from Samsonov. He's been quite inconsistent and wouldn't inspire me with much confidence if I were a Cap fan

Still think they should keep the high upside goalie (he's a mere pup, given goalies tend to take longer to develop) and move something else for Zacha (assuming the rumors are true and they are legitimately interested)

Pearson for Zacha 1 for 1

Can't see the Devils liking that very much.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m not sure what a fair deal is for a base of Zacha plus? for Boeser.

As a Devils fan I’d be willing to add quite a bit to Zacha but not sure where I’d draw the line. We have a lot of forward prospects we could add , along with LHD , but the crappy thing is , the Canucks don’t really need that. The only benefit for the Canucks is freeing up cap space on Zacha’s vs. Boeser’s contract (and what he will make very soon). It’s a matter of if whatever asset is added to Zacha makes it worth while to downgrade from Boeser to Zacha plus getting some cap space.
I think people see whatever they get from the Devils having to be a dot in their current roster…. Ther is always the possibility of turning around and trading whatever asset they get from NJ right away for something of need. Perhaps they can flip that asset to a team that NJ would not normally trade to themselves like the Rangers or another Metro team?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I’m not sure what a fair deal is for a base of Zacha plus? for Boeser.

As a Devils fan I’d be willing to add quite a bit to Zacha but not sure where I’d draw the line. We have a lot of forward prospects we could add , along with LHD , but the crappy thing is , the Canucks don’t really need that. The only benefit for the Canucks is freeing up cap space on Zacha’s vs. Boeser’s contract (and what he will make very soon). It’s a matter of if whatever asset is added to Zacha makes it worth while to downgrade from Boeser to Zacha plus getting some cap space.
I think people see whatever they get from the Devils having to be a dot in their current roster…. Ther is always the possibility of turning around and trading whatever asset they get from NJ right away for something of need. Perhaps they can flip that asset to a team that NJ would not normally trade to themselves like the Rangers or another Metro team?

Toffoli, who is an inferior player in spite of his longer contract, got a 1st (conditional as to which year), a recent 2nd round pick, a conditional 4th, a 5th and roster balance forward.

I don't know how Zacha is valued by Devils fans, given his status as a very high draft pick, but we've had to offload Virtanen, Juolevi, Lind and Gadjovich this offseason. We get holding out hope they hit their potential. Zacha's obviously done more positive work on the Devil's rosters then the guys I listed, but our whole attitude was we'll see if they progress, rather than trade them for what would be "fair value".

I know I don't value Zacha as a 1st round pick though. I'd have reservations about a second round pick as well, but I think balancing the Toffoli offer, and then finding how everyone values Toffoli to Boeser will see what kind of offers we can agree on.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Toffoli, who is an inferior player in spite of his longer contract, got a 1st (conditional as to which year), a recent 2nd round pick, a conditional 4th, a 5th and roster balance forward.

I don't know how Zacha is valued by Devils fans, given his status as a very high draft pick, but we've had to offload Virtanen, Juolevi, Lind and Gadjovich this offseason. We get holding out hope they hit their potential. Zacha's obviously done more positive work on the Devil's rosters then the guys I listed, but our whole attitude was we'll see if they progress, rather than trade them for what would be "fair value".

I know I don't value Zacha as a 1st round pick though. I'd have reservations about a second round pick as well, but I think balancing the Toffoli offer, and then finding how everyone values Toffoli to Boeser will see what kind of offers we can agree on.
Toffoli has great value because he’s on a great contract
Boeser has a 8m qualifying offer

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
7.5, but that's not close to a guarantee that's what he'll sign for, or be looking for if he signs long term.
That uncertainty with what he will command hurts his value. It will be close to the 7.5 number you’d think . That’s pretty steep for what he currently brings to the table but his potential could make it a bargain ?
It’s Boeser’s play this year , injury history , qualifying $ that makes a Zacha plus ? trade even remotely possible. In a vacuum, Boeser is >>>> Zacha by a large margin.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
That uncertainty with what he will command hurts his value. It will be close to the 7.5 number you’d think . That’s pretty steep for what he currently brings to the table but his potential could make it a bargain ?
It’s Boeser’s play this year , injury history , qualifying $ that makes a Zacha plus ? trade even remotely possible. In a vacuum, Boeser is >>>> Zacha by a large margin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but his QO would only be for one year, in order to, you know, qualify him though, right? He's earning 5.85 this year, and while lower is always better, 7.5 for a top line player isn't terrible.

I understand the injury risk, but as for his performance, the little tear he went on actually got him pretty close to his normal production. This year has be a trainwreck for the Canucks though, so I'm not judging any of our guys off of one year.

Even the QO isn't really a factor in us moving him, if for no other reason then it's a small raise (1.65 million). Based on this year, it feels unearned, but as any Canucks fan will tell you, the start of this season was hell for all of us.

I might be alone here, but in a deal for Boeser, I feel Zacha would be the added piece, not the piece added to. Otherwise I'd be more interested in exploring other pieces for Zacha straight across.

Reactions: elitepete

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
7.5, but that's not close to a guarantee that's what he'll sign for, or be looking for if he signs long term.
if you aren't willing to qualify him at that hit, he can get to the open market. why would a team spend the assets to acquire him and then risk to lose him for nothing?

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Perhaps already mentioned: Boeser, Dickenson for Zacha, Mcleod, 4th.

Dickenson is a downgrade to McLeod and Boeser is a bigger upgrade on Zacha. 4th makes up the difference.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
if you aren't willing to qualify him at that hit, he can get to the open market. why would a team spend the assets to acquire him and then risk to lose him for nothing?

You'll obviously qualify him, but he would almost certainly the long term offer.

7.5m x 1

OR 6.5 x 7-8

Thats a no brainer, he wouldnt risk injury ruining his whole career earnings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad