Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Absolutely very childish on his part. I could totally understand signing a multi year offer sheet, but a one year deal to troll the team that drafted you especially when you can't go two shifts without falling down.
Yeah,

Show some loyalty to the team that benched you in the cup finals. Show some loyalty to the club that cut your ice time and opportunity for Eric Staal. I mean, shit... what the hell is wrong with this guy?

Clearly the right thing to do for him here was to take less money and cave in hardball negotiations on a bridge and hope that we don't cut his ice again. And who the hell wants to become a UFA at 22 anyway?

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I was thinking if we oversheet Patterson and lose four first round picks, we would get a pick for KK so we would be covered for the draft in Montreal. lol

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Oh yeah?

What top 6 C is available for a late 1st & 3rd right now?

What C is available for trade for less than that or JKO?

Lol... get real.

I'm a fan of competent execution. I'm a habs fan. When the two don't align, in my opinion, I post to that with grounded takes. What do you have to offer?

If this year's playoffs is the height of your aspirations, then power to you. Go on celebrating that finals appearance for years to come...
If the team collapse, it's not solely because of KK. It's because of Weber injured, Price post operation, Danault gone, Byron injured, etc. A C that could replace KK is not so hard to find, we are not talking of McKinnon or Kopitar, it's just Jesperi Kotkaniemi at 21 yrs old. JK at 25 yrs old is a different story but nobody knows for sure how he will developp.

Reactions: Speedtrials

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
If they sign him it's a 1 yr deal so that puts Suzuki and Kotkaniemi both up as RFA's next yr. Their centers look weak this year. Losing KK makes it look even weaker. My guess is Bergevin matches the offer.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I thought it was a bad move to do this for Aho. And I think it would be a bad move to retaliate.

It might feel good in the moment but there's zero upside to having an enemy in the league.

It was a bad move because of how laughable the offer was. It was basically a "we try to exploit a team we think is in trouble but really everyone sane in their mind should match this" offer. It was a dick move by MB and pretty much everyone in the league laughed at him hard. I can understand if Carolina's owner felt insulted by the offer. It was basically sending the message he was poor and could not be the owner of an NHL team.

I think this offer is not as bad for Caroline as some guys around here think it is. Carolina is not as good as last year but they still have a good enough team to make the playoffs. Unless they miss the playoffs and win the lottery it's a relatively good move for them. They get to see what JK got in him for just a late first and and 2nd and 3rd pick. That's not a high price to pay for that at all. Then he becomes UFA and they can be the first to discuss about an extension with him.

If we match we are in bigger trouble than they were when they matched Aho. I don't know what JK was asking but it's not the first time MB gets burned by trying to hardball a kid with a bridge contract. It happened with Subban too. MB is not as good as his fan club think he is. He's quite an awful GM actually. He's lucky COVID-19 saved his ***.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh poor baby got benched. 21 year old that can't stand up got benched a few games in the playoffs and is mad.
What the hell are you talking about?

The guy signed for six mil... the only one pouting here is you. Of course he's going to sign. He'd be insane not to. He gets six mil plus the possibility of becoming UFA at 22. Anyone would sign this.

Reactions: Doc McKenna and LaP

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
-I like the drama and the creation of a new rivalry. Good for the sport IMO.

-I think that this is the kind of offer sheets that can work. Overpay for a young talented player with an uncertain future. Still a very risky move.

-I think MB will match but I would personally take the picks.

Last edited:

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
I would retaliate with the power of a thousand suns. I would go to my hockey guys and say: alright guys, find me ten ways that we can hurt the Hurricanes with all the tools that our franchise provides. :D
Tempting hahaha

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If they sign him it's a 1 yr deal so that puts Suzuki and Kotkaniemi both up as RFA's next yr. Their centers look weak this year. Losing KK makes it look even weaker. My guess is Bergevin matches the offer.

Unless i'm missing something about RFA JK will be ufa after next season.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Best comment I have heard so far is the Habs matching. Then at the beginning of the season, Molson goes to the lockerroom and in front of everybody gives KK 20$. Except I would have it be 15$. Cause of his number and cause he's worth less than 20.

Reactions: TheBlob

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It was a bad move because of how laughable the offer was. It was basically a "we try to exploit a team we think is in trouble but really everyone sane in their mind should match this" offer. It was a dick move by MB and pretty much everyone in the league laughed at him hard. I can understand if Carolina's owner felt insulted by the offer. It was basically sending the message he was poor and could not be the owner of an NHL team.

I think this offer is not as bad for Caroline as some guys around here think it is. Carolina is not as good as last year but they still have a good enough team to make the playoffs. Unless they miss the playoffs and win the lottery it's a relatively good move for them. They get to see what JK got in him for just a late first and and 2nd and 3rd pick. That's not a high price to pay for that at all. Then he becomes UFA and they can be the first to discuss about an extension with him.

If we match we are in bigger trouble than they were when they matched Aho. I don't know what JK was asking but it's not the first time MB gets burned by trying to hardball a kid with a bridge contract. It happened with Subban too. MB is not as good as his fan club think he is. He's quite an awful GM actually. He's lucky COVID-19 saved his ***.
It's a great move by Carolina.

1. It sends a message to the entire league that they are not to be f***ed with.

2. It's a one year deal for a young player with potential. It's an overpayment, sure. But it's only one year and you get to steal a player from a rival (one who tried to screw you over on your best player.) If he pans out, you might be able to keep him going forward - and negotiate a new deal later.

3. If it doesn't pan out... no big deal. You screwed over your rival and sent your message. It's only one year.

4. If it doesn’t pan out and the player underperforms, you move on without much cost.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't think we should match.

That said, going from Suzuki/Danault/Kotkaniemi/Evans to Suzuki/Evans/Paquette/Poehling in one off-season, while having only a late 1st and a 3rd to show for it, is a truly masterful job.
Let's hope Poehling can really surprise us..

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If the team collapse, it's not solely because of KK. It's because of Weber injured, Price post operation, Danault gone, Byron injured, etc. A C that could replace KK is not so hard to find, we are not talking of McKinnon or Kopitar, it's just Jesperi Kotkaniemi at 21 yrs old. JK at 25 yrs old is a different story but nobody knows for sure how he will developp.

Yes. There is a ton of uncertainty.

Management isn't about fortune telling, it's about risk and asset assessment & management.

In this case, both were terribly mishandled, and the current situation has left our organization with very poor ROI.

That's it. Happens. Hopefully less so going forward.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think we should match.

That said, going from Suzuki/Danault/Kotkaniemi/Evans to Suzuki/Evans/Paquette/Poehling in one off-season, while having only a late 1st and a 3rd to show for it, is a truly masterful job.
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think we shouldn't match as well.

But man... that's so bad too. Personally I think we've misused this guy and he could crush it somewhere else. If we do pass on him, we have to hope he falls on his face. :laugh:

Signing him though... Suzuki becomes much more expensive. It totally screws up the coming contracts. If you say 'no', then it sends the opposite message. There's actually a good argument for us in letting him go from that standpoint.

Carolina came it at the perfect amount to make it absolutely f***ed for us either way.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Best comment I have heard so far is the Habs matching. Then at the beginning of the season, Molson goes to the lockerroom and in front of everybody gives KK 20$.
Love this lololol. I would be so petty if i was a gm or owned a team.

Reactions: Lolonegoal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad