Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
So if the Habs match...what's the difference?
If they match, you tell him go out there and play. If he doesn't step up, you expose him for the brat he is. The Habs won't qualify him at 6 mil next year and he will go elsewhere for less. Another bust....Yet, Timmins still has a job. Although not really a bust, just another first rounder lost for nothing.

If he has a breakout year, you qualify him and start negotiations for a long term deal.

I don't believe the Habs want him back because the whole deal screams troll. The Habs got trolled and BargainBin's ego is quite big.

That's why you take the picks and figure something out.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Well, Danault took 500k more to play in the sun. MB could have given a little more to keep him. I agree that Suzuki and Gallagher didn't step it up their first years but they progressed in their development unlike KK. By accepting a 2 yr or 3 yr bridge deal, KK would have had less pressure to perform while having more years of job security and likely making more money long term. It's a huge gamble for every party involved. If KK doesn't live up to potential in Carolina, they won't qualify him at 6 mil next year. Also as an UFA, no team will risk signing him to a large amount. He better perform or else he just killed his NHL career.

but that bridge deal was probably worth around 7-8M max anyway over those 3 years. KK is the biggest winner here, no reason not to accept the contract.

If he flunks, well he can go on and take 900K contracts for a year or two before going back to Europe. And he's made the same as that bridge deal.

If he averages, he makes 3-4M per year on his next contract and males more money.

In the two scenarios above, he's also limely a UFA by 22 and maybe a bad team takes a risk on him.

If he loves up to 6M, the he gets a big contract 2 years early.

I really don't see how KK loses in any scenario

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
I think we should move on from Kotkaniemi.

Take the picks and offer sheet Elias Petersson for 8.5 for 5 years.

We will lose 2 first rounds picks, 1 second and a third but with the picks gained by losing KK, the trade is:

Kotkaniemi, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

for Pettersson
8.5 for 5 for Pettersson and Vancouver just match this laughing.

Reactions: Varlan

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
I think we should move on from Kotkaniemi.

Take the picks and offer sheet Elias Petersson for 8.5 for 5 years.

We will lose 2 first rounds picks, 1 second and a third but with the picks gained by losing KK, the trade is:

Kotkaniemi, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

for Pettersson
It sounds nice but what if Van matches, trades away whatever it takes to keep them under the cap, then we end up with TWO teams looking to offer sheet Suzuki and Cole in the future.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
but that bridge deal was probably worth around 7-8M max anyway over those 3 years. KK is the biggest winner here, no reason not to accept the contract.

If he flunks, well he can go on and take 900K contracts for a year or two before going back to Europe. And he's made the same as that bridge deal.

If he averages, he makes 3-4M per year on his next contract and males more money.

In the two scenarios above, he's also limely a UFA by 22 and maybe a bad team takes a risk on him.

If he loves up to 6M, the he gets a big contract 2 years early.

I really don't see how KK loses in any scenario
A bridge deal at around 3-4 mil/yr over 3 years would have been ideal for both parties. More money in KK's pocket, cap flexibility for the Habs and more years of job security for KK.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
A bridge deal at around 3-4 mil/yr over 3 years would have been ideal for both parties. More money in KK's pocket, cap flexibility for the Habs and more years of job security for KK.
Maybe it was offered and he turned it down

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Even if it is a late 1st. It is still a 1st round pick. Anyone who tries to downplay it is doing it in bad faith.

It's still a first round pick which means nothing for this team for the next 3 years and considering the track record for this team, it probably never amount to anything either.

1st round pick like that were thrown to get guys like Nick Foligno, David Savard at the last TDL.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who's the Avs D that crushed KK a couple years ago? Is he available for a 3rd round pick?

To do what?

In what world is KK in the wrong outside of this false reality some fans live in where every player should bend the f*** over for the team they cheer for, as if they are playing EA sports.

No person would refuse 3x their salary for some faux sense of allegiance to an organization.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
KK closer to Chucky than Aho. Let him walk and go HAM after an established top 6. We get better and Canes can laugh with their new $6M winger this year and next. Best part is Canes will have to qualify at $6.1M or sign long term contract and live with him or let him go UFA Lol.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
To do what?

In what world is KK in the wrong outside of this false reality some fans live in where every player should bend the f*** over for the team they cheer for, as if they are playing EA sports.

No person would refuse 3x their salary for some faux sense of allegiance to an organization.

Funny to see you keep defending him.

The kid can do no wrong lol

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Yon don't pay a player like KK 6M. That's absurd. It might be his worth if he ever reaches his potential, which is far from a sure thing.

I'll gladly take the picks and let the Canes understand why KK isn't worth a 1st, and 6M per.

We'll be the ones laughing in the end.

Reactions: GrandBison

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's still a first round pick which means nothing for this team for the next 3 years and considering the track record for this team, it probably never amount to anything either.

1st round pick like that were thrown to get guys like Nick Foligno, David Savard at the last TDL.

Still a 1st round pick.

When Columbus got a 1st for Savard, nobody said it's a late 1st. Everyone was impressed that Columbus got another 1st.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If they match, you tell him go out there and play. If he doesn't step up, you expose him for the brat he is. The Habs won't qualify him at 6 mil next year and he will go elsewhere for less. Another bust....Yet, Timmins still has a job. Although not really a bust, just another first rounder lost for nothing.

If he has a breakout year, you qualify him and start negotiations for a long term deal.

I don't believe the Habs want him back because the whole deal screams troll. The Habs got trolled and BargainBin's ego is quite big.

That's why you take the picks and figure something out.
They'll match and this will force them to committ to Kotkaniemi in an important role for the next year.

I personally think that's a good thing because I think it's kinda crazy that we drafted a kid almost 4 years ago, graduated him to the NHL before he was ready, and we still to this day haven't given him a real shot as a top 6 player yet (not blaming the coaching staff people, relax).

This forces the Habs hand to do just that but it also puts a ton of pressure and expectations on Kotkaniemi (who already had some big expectations heading into this year anyway) to show up at camp ready to play and keep his spot.

If he doesn't do the latter, that QO is meaningless.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Yon don't pay a player like KK 6M. That's absurd. It might be his worth if he ever reaches his potential, which is far from a sure thing.

I'll gladly take the picks and let the Canes understand why KK isn't worth a 1st, and 6M per.

We'll be the ones laughing in the end.
The Canes just screwed a lot of teams over. $6M for KK is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad