Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I say keep him and let him bust with us instead. Not tryna see him pan out in Carolina (Wich he probably will) and be a top 6 center with size for the next 10 years in the league I couldn't handle it
Edit: Just feed him top 6 minutes and let the kid sink or swim with Danault gone

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
So much stuff happened in the last 6 or so months :

- The unexpected cup run
- The Drouin story
- The Weber getting LTIR plot twist
- The Price left unprotected Kraken saga
- The Mailloux shitstorm
- The Danault negociations (or lack there of)
- The Eichel rumors
- The Savard and Hoffman sign with Mtl add ons
- The Revenge of the Canes (aka KK offersheet)

Gotta say that this wasn't a boring off season lol. And it may not be over yet depending on how the KK OS end up. There is a good chance that there is a trade if Bergevin does not match and take the picks (whicb he should)

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
That's not really true.

Let's say KK has another season around 30-35 points....

If he ask for his QO at 6 millions and team refuse and let it walk for nothing, he will still end up getting a 3-4 millions deal as a UFA and nothing more which is something the team can offer. In the end, it's the same result for KK and he won't get paid that 6 millions.
As I wrote in the original post, I doubt KK would sign long term here at less than 6 as a FA.
He’s obviously content to leave, so KK will get his 6, or be a FA and walk.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There’s a lot of noise surrounding this OS…but to me it’s pretty simple.

The Habs will match and the Canes know this.

The move by the Canes seems to be driven by their owner because hockey-wise, it doesn’t make much sense and will surely be a predicate to the OS system being re-worked.

Yes Kotkaniemi at 6M is a lot but it’s not as big of a deal as many are making it to be.

Last edited:

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
KK was so badly mismanaged he looked better in his first 30 games as a rookie then at the end of last year...

Every year he comes to camp looking like he's taken a step forward only to take two steps back during the season.

We absolutely suck at developing you players and we're lucky that Suzuki and Caufield got a couple years of development outside our system before they made the jump
I just don't like hearing the same old rhetoric that KK was mismanaged. Same things were said about Galchenyuk. Anyways, kid was rushed and given way too many minutes of play. He had all the opportunities to become dominant. You can say he played without a mentor but if he really was that good, his game would have been top notch. Others would step up but he didn't. The GM is to blame who did nothing to address the situation. Then, some new faces came in and were not impressed by KK's play. They clearly tried to break his spirit by benching him. Kid kept a positive attitude but deep down knew that his future in Montreal was questionable. Money was his top priority.

BargainBin let go Danault in order for KK to take the spot. I don't see how an organization can show a kid more gratitude. However, KK overvalued himself and was after securing his financial future. BargainBin has a terrible history of dealing with these cases. This is why you don't rush kids at 18 unless you have a McDavid in your hands. A bridge deal of 3-3.5 mil/yr for 2-3 yrs would have been ideal for KK but I don't see how the BargainBin managed to screw this up. KK would have had more money and job security with more term.

This just means that KK didn't appreciate getting benched by the dinosaur coach who recently got extended. KK signed the 1 year deal to show the Habs' organization he wants out. The deal itself is too troll the Habs unlike the Aho situation. Aho wanted more and the Canes were trying to save. BargainBin did them a favour. Do you keep this unhappy player on your squad? I wouldn't.

BargainBin is not a good GM and all his blunders are slowly catching up to him. Did he get better? Surely. But he learned on the job. They should have traded KK before the offersheet knowing that he wouldn't sign a bridge deal. BargainBin should have known that an offersheet was imminent after he did the same a few years back. You can only blame the GM. This is all on him.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
The comments left on his Instagram page are a disgrace. He is a human being. Not sure how anyone could be mad at the kid for doing what's best for himself.
Dumbasses on twitter are like the sun rising in the east I'm more suprised twitter allows them to get away with it in this day and age.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The comments left on his Instagram page are a disgrace. He is a human being. Not sure how anyone could be mad at the kid for doing what's best for himself.

even on here yesterday I read a couple people were "disapointed" in the kid, no loyalty etc...

If I came over tomorrow offering you triple your salary to do the same job, I bet you 99% of people take it.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I'm not going to say that the Canes are geniuses on that one......but Bergevin is still the one getting screwed big time.
It's not a genius play by Carolina but they are certainly a better team than us with even without kk at 6 million on their third line. Theres really no scenario where the habs or habs fans can really laugh at Carolina for this were going to have to take the L

Reactions: Milhouse40

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
There’s a lot of noise surrounding this OS…but to me it’s pretty simple.

The Hans will match and the Canes know this.

The move by the Canes seems to be driven by their owner because hockey-wise, it doesn’t make much sense and will surely be a predicate to the OS system being re-worked.

Yes Kotkaniemi at 6M is a lot but it’s not as big of a deal as many are making it to be.
He's too young to give up on imo if he was 23-24 this would be a different story

Reactions: Doc McKenna and 417

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
As I wrote in the original post, I doubt KK would sign long term here at less than 6 as a FA.
He’s obviously content to leave, so KK will get his 6, or be a FA and walk.

That is something we don't know.
This is enough money for life.

The kid could get injured next year and his career over for all he knows......nothing is guaranteed in life. But that money could last him a lifetime. There's no way he could just say no and take the 2.5 millions Bergevin was probably offer. He's not a player that already made millions in his career.

I'm not going to say that KK really wants to leave MTL.
If the OS was around 3-4, then I would agree with you.....but he couldn't pass on that money.

Weber did screw Nashville back then and it wasn't because he wanted to leave, today everyone think of him as a great leader and a team's player and he's still very well appreciate in Nashville. This is business.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Disagree. If reported numbers are true, MB did not lowball him. How is 2.5 a lowball offer? Kid proved squat.

he was slotted to be the number 2 Center. He was going to log minutes this year, played above average for two playoffs in a row. I think he’s more valuable than Hoffmann and Byron. I think he should be getting at least 3. Sounds like some people on this board view him like MB.

again, good for kk.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
That is something we don't know.
This is enough money for life.

The kid could get injured next year and his career over for all he knows......nothing is guaranteed in life. But that money could last him a lifetime. There's no way he could just say no and take the 2.5 millions Bergevin was probably offer. He's not a player that already made millions in his career.

I'm not going to say that KK really wants to leave MTL.
If the OS was around 3-4, then I would agree with you.....but he couldn't pass on that money.

Weber did screw Nashville back then and it wasn't because he wanted to leave, today everyone think of him as a great leader and a team's player and he's still very well appreciate in Nashville. This is business.
This isn’t about the contract he just signed. Of course he should have signed it. It’s a lot of money.

this is about the next one. It’s either QO at 6, agree on a long term deal, or go to free agency. You can bet that if the Habs don’t want to pay 6, he’ll go to free agency. He won’t let them off the hook and sign long term for lower value.

Reactions: dralaf

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I just don't like hearing the same old rhetoric that KK was mismanaged. Same things were said about Galchenyuk. Anyways, kid was rushed and given way too many minutes of play. He had all the opportunities to become dominant. You can say he played without a mentor but if he really was that good, his game would have been top notch. Others would step up but he didn't. The GM is to blame who did nothing to address the situation. Then, some new faces came in and were not impressed by KK's play. They clearly tried to break his spirit by benching him. Kid kept a positive attitude but deep down knew that his future in Montreal was questionable. Money was his top priority.

BargainBin let go Danault in order for KK to take the spot. I don't see how an organization can show a kid more gratitude. However, KK overvalued himself and was after securing his financial future. BargainBin has a terrible history of dealing with these cases. This is why you don't rush kids at 18 unless you have a McDavid in your hands. A bridge deal of 3-3.5 mil/yr for 2-3 yrs would have been ideal for KK but I don't see how the BargainBin managed to screw this up. KK would have had more money and job security with more term.

This just means that KK didn't appreciate getting benched by the dinosaur coach who recently got extended. KK signed the 1 year deal to show the Habs' organization he wants out. The deal itself is too troll the Habs unlike the Aho situation. Aho wanted more and the Canes were trying to save. BargainBin did them a favour. Do you keep this unhappy player on your squad? I wouldn't.

BargainBin is not a good GM and all his blunders are slowly catching up to him. Did he get better? Surely. But he learned on the job. They should have traded KK before the offersheet knowing that he wouldn't sign a bridge deal. BargainBin should have known that an offersheet was imminent after he did the same a few years back. You can only blame the GM. This is all on him.

Well first, they did not "let Danault walk to give him the spot". Danault decided to walk on his own and accepted a higher offer from the Kings. He was a UFA, end of story.

Yes, I also thought the same with Galchenyuk. And yes, it's the same old rethoric, but its the same management... coincidence?

I think we kind of agree though, because my biggest issue with him was how rushed he was into the league. I don't think giving minutes and opportunities to an 18 years old p'ayer is inherently good, because instead of working on his weaknesses, rounding out his game, gaining in confidence and and having more time to physically mature off ice (workouts), he was thrown into the league where he had to "play safe" to keep a spot and could not make mistakes crucial to his development. Kotkaniemi was known from day 1 as a project... but rushed into the NHL, wtf?

Who else has taken a step forward in Montreal's organization? Which player arrived in the system and took strides forwards? Gallagher, and Suzuki?

KK just took money worth three times his value... he would have been insane to refuse

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
even on here yesterday I read a couple people were "disapointed" in the kid, no loyalty etc...

If I came over tomorrow offering you triple your salary to do the same job, I bet you 99% of people take it.
When Weber signed an OS, it was just another example of his leadership

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's not a genius play by Carolina but they are certainly a better team than us with even without kk at 6 million on their third line. Theres really no scenario where the habs or habs fans can really laugh at Carolina for this were going to have to take the L

Some Habs fan still laugh but they are the one who still think that Bergevin is that great GM and the Habs can't do no wrong while the team keeps getting worst and worst despite "rebuilding, resetting" for the last 5 years.

Whatever how this is going to end:

- KK is the big winner
- Habs are the big losers

And the Canes will either get a top 6 center for peanuts or at worst lose a low 1st round pick (which is not worst that team giving those picks away for rental at the TDL).

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
he was slotted to be the number 2 Center. He was going to log minutes this year, played above average for two playoffs in a row. I think he’s more valuable than Hoffmann and Byron. I think he should be getting at least 3. Sounds like some people on this board view him like MB.

again, good for kk.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

again, good for kk.

I obviously dont know what the talks were from either side, but I would have go e something like 1 year 2.5M for Kotkaniemi on the basis of a show-me deal that he can do the job on the 2nd line.

There's no KK comparables for age, pts, gp for above that amount of money.

I'd gove him term at that amount if he wanted but I doubt that he would accept. I would absolutely not pay him more WITH term just because he's pegged for 2C to start the year... that would just be dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad