Canes Offer Sheet KK (6.1 for 1 yr) Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
And so is Carolina if they really are paying 6M to KK.
....for one year. And the 20 dollars signing bonus which is the same number as Aho wears. Make no mistake, this is a complete payback for offer sheeting Aho.

If you think otherwise then you don't understand the human psychic. This is 100% payback.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If the 1st and 3rd and prospect could land you Dvorak, why is Dvorak not currently a Carolina Hurricane?

And I disagree that it's trending that way already, you can count on one hand the amount of games that KK had stable linemates for. You don't even have to count to know how many times he's been given a top 6 deployment.

And he is hitting his age where most players break out and take their game to the next level. Not to mention that it's been two play-off runs where he has been our most effective goal scorer there. You have to be super confident on his upside here and I know this is the house of flaming hot shit takes on Kotkaniemi and young players, but NHL front offices have a bit more patience and understanding here.

He had a strong start to these playoffs then sort of tapered off.

Bergevin probably has the longest patience out of any gm. That's why when we had Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu all vying for a spot, he ruined all 3 of their values and we got Scott, a 3rd and Jordie Benn in return.

Bergevin will likely match, but saying KK hasn't been given good linemates is a lie.

Kk's most usage in the regular season was with Anderson and Drouin

Next is with Toffoli and Perry. Of his top 10 line combos, he's had 1 top 6 winger in 8 of them.

Top 6 Anderson, Tatar, Gallagher, Toffoli and Drouin.

His usage with Lehkonen and Armia, which is perputated as the most, was 3rd most used line combo with KK.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

If the deal is anything under 4 it’s a no brainer for the habs. 6 million is a true overpayment and a f*** you to mtl.
I disagree with 2.2, maybe if you’re just looking at the player, but I think he’s more valuable than Hoffmann on this team. I cannot believe how much this literally feels like pk subban.

MB got played and ya Carolina overpayed, but most likely a pick for guys that won’t make it in the league.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The move is one thing, I totally get that and that’s fair game.
The using of the exact same quote announcement, the posting it in French, the signing bonus, the Twitter account going ham…that’s the classless part.
That isn't classless. Thats you reap what you sow.

IF MB is going to pretend he wasn't ruthless in trying to sabotage Carolina for what ever reason, The exact quote wouldn't have been turned back at him. The canes know montreal has cash, but what do you do when you don't have the assets to cover something like this. Classless is what we have been doing. They just put a mirror to it.

Reactions: OldCraig71

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't get why people assume the pick will be a low 1st. Are the Canes a lock to the final with Andersen in the net? That's an unprotected 1st in a parity league where anything could happen.

I mean, the Canes were doing fine with Mrazek/Bernier.

They probably make the playoffs even with Andersen in net - he never stopped the Leafs from making the playoffs and imo was not their biggest issue IN the p'ayoffs.

Rantta is injury prone but is a pretty somid goaltender too

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I just don't like hearing the same old rhetoric that KK was mismanaged. Same things were said about Galchenyuk. Anyways, kid was rushed and given way too many minutes of play. He had all the opportunities to become dominant. You can say he played without a mentor but if he really was that good, his game would have been top notch. Others would step up but he didn't. The GM is to blame who did nothing to address the situation. Then, some new faces came in and were not impressed by KK's play. They clearly tried to break his spirit by benching him. Kid kept a positive attitude but deep down knew that his future in Montreal was questionable. Money was his top priority.

BargainBin let go Danault in order for KK to take the spot. I don't see how an organization can show a kid more gratitude. However, KK overvalued himself and was after securing his financial future. BargainBin has a terrible history of dealing with these cases. This is why you don't rush kids at 18 unless you have a McDavid in your hands. A bridge deal of 3-3.5 mil/yr for 2-3 yrs would have been ideal for KK but I don't see how the BargainBin managed to screw this up. KK would have had more money and job security with more term.

This just means that KK didn't appreciate getting benched by the dinosaur coach who recently got extended. KK signed the 1 year deal to show the Habs' organization he wants out. The deal itself is too troll the Habs unlike the Aho situation. Aho wanted more and the Canes were trying to save. BargainBin did them a favour. Do you keep this unhappy player on your squad? I wouldn't.

BargainBin is not a good GM and all his blunders are slowly catching up to him. Did he get better? Surely. But he learned on the job. They should have traded KK before the offersheet knowing that he wouldn't sign a bridge deal. BargainBin should have known that an offersheet was imminent after he did the same a few years back. You can only blame the GM. This is all on him.
So if the Habs match...what's the difference?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Some Habs fan still laugh but they are the one who still think that Bergevin is that great GM and the Habs can't do no wrong while the team keeps getting worst and worst despite "rebuilding, resetting" for the last 5 years.

Whatever how this is going to end:

- KK is the big winner
- Habs are the big losers

And the Canes will either get a top 6 center for peanuts or at worst lose a low 1st round pick (which is not worst that team giving those picks away for rental at the TDL).
I think bergevin has done alot of good these past 2 off seasons and thought so before we even made noise in the playoffs but this is a clear case of his past management mistakes especially with KK's development coming to haunt him

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
That message came from Carolina.

There were six million other reasons for KK to sign that contract. If it means going along with a 'stick it offer' to Montreal... so be it. He'd be crazy not to take it.
Exactly. How many people care about their past employers feelings when they move to a new job. Generally you just wished you had told off your boss sooner.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The Canes might screw themselves with that one, KK right now is not even worth a first choice, if he's a bust, we win.

If he's a bust, either if it's the Habs or Canes, it means Bergevin screwed up another 3rd overall pick......I wouldn't call that a win by any stretch of the imagination.

Like I said yesterday......that 1st and 3rd round pick wouldn't even be close enough to get Brady Tkachuk right now.
There's not even a discussion.

Islanders paid a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Pageau.......we would be trading a young KK that produce equally with tons more of potential for less. We traded Eller for 2 x 2nd round pick.......

If Kotkaniemi become that type of player it's a win for the Canes.
If they can resign to a long term deal with a decent salary, it's a win for the Canes
If he becomes the top 6 center we expected him to be.....it's a steal for the Canes.

The Habs can't win this.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I bet MB pulls off a trade and takes the picks. KK isn’t that good, shit he’s barely a 3c.
And this is the kind of comment that made him leave montreal just turning 21 this last month. LOL barely a 3 C.....man some are pretty salty about this kid we saw play to all of 20 years old and called a complete bum.

Even MB had him pegged higher than that.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Well first, they did not "let Danault walk to give him the spot". Danault decided to walk on his own and accepted a higher offer from the Kings. He was a UFA, end of story.

Yes, I also thought the same with Galchenyuk. And yes, it's the same old rethoric, but its the same management... coincidence?

I think we kind of agree though, because my biggest issue with him was how rushed he was into the league. I don't think giving minutes and opportunities to an 18 years old p'ayer is inherently good, because instead of working on his weaknesses, rounding out his game, gaining in confidence and and having more time to physically mature off ice (workouts), he was thrown into the league where he had to "play safe" to keep a spot and could not make mistakes crucial to his development. Kotkaniemi was known from day 1 as a project... but rushed into the NHL, wtf?

Who else has taken a step forward in Montreal's organization? Which player arrived in the system and took strides forwards? Gallagher, and Suzuki?

KK just took money worth three times his value... he would have been insane to refuse
Well, Danault took 500k more to play in the sun. MB could have given a little more to keep him. I agree that Suzuki and Gallagher didn't step it up their first years but they progressed in their development unlike KK. By accepting a 2 yr or 3 yr bridge deal, KK would have had less pressure to perform while having more years of job security and likely making more money long term. It's a huge gamble for every party involved. If KK doesn't live up to potential in Carolina, they won't qualify him at 6 mil next year. Also as an UFA, no team will risk signing him to a large amount. He better perform or else he just killed his NHL career.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I think we should move on from Kotkaniemi.

Take the picks and offer sheet Elias Petersson for 8.5 for 5 years.

We will lose 2 first rounds picks, 1 second and a third but with the picks gained by losing KK, the trade is:

Kotkaniemi, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

for Pettersson

Reactions: SallyBalls

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I think we should move on from Kotkaniemi.

Take the picks and offer sheet Elias Petersson for 8.5 for 5 years.

We will lose 2 first rounds picks, 1 second and a third but with the picks gained by losing KK, the trade is:

Kotkaniemi, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

for Pettersson
Interesting

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
And this is the kind of comment that made him leave montreal just turning 21 this last month. LOL barely a 3 C.....man some are pretty salty about this kid we saw play to all of 20 years old and called a complete bum.

Even MB had him pegged higher than that.

Made him leave, complete bum, the drama! THe fact is KK isn’t exactly tearing it up nor is he a lock to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad