GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Match has been very even. Canada probably with the better chances tbh.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Pretty good first half by Canada. But I felt that Mexico owned the second half of play for the most part.

With the own clear hitting the crossbar, and then somehow the rebound falling out of harms way and a defender clearing, I thought Canada were ultimately lucky to get the tie. Although to their credit looked like going for the W at times. Entertaining match.

Mexico fans, what are you thinking? Anybody could get tickets to this match. This was going to be a good entertaining game and Canada was going to be bringing some skill. Disappointing that Azteca not even sold all the covid restrictions tickets. Would have been nice to see this game in a packed house. I remember some of those from decades ago.

Looking forward to the rematch in Edmonton. Hopefully Covid over or less impactful at that point. I was in attendance last time Mexico played here. Always entertaining.

Reactions: oilers'72

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'll take a draw at the Azteca.

Draws against USA and Mexico on the road now. This team might actually be Qatar bound in 2022

Yeah Mexico was better in the second half so glad they managed the draw, although Canada easily could have been ahead by a goal or two at halftime. Then they had that break near the end of the second half where Davies couldn't quite get the pass across that would have potentially allowed a 2-on-0 break, and then they booted it. A draw in Azteca is a good result though. Now if Canada can take care of business with wins in Kingston, against the Jamaicans who have been underwhelming, and then win at home against Panama they would be in great position going forward with 12 points through the first 6 games (43% of the Octagonal qualifying schedule).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
One of the worst halves of football you're ever going to see. Still question marks with this Canada side. Jamaica has been awful in qualifying and yet are stymying Canada so far in this one. Canada playing down to their opponent not possessing the ball for more than 30secs in a row. Really anybody that missed the first half, you didn't miss a thing.

I love the sport, and yet this was so hard to watch. Just a clumsy game of dirty tackles, pushes, fouls. Official not doing much out there to curtail the typical concacaf tactics.

lol at Elvis being injured for 10mins and allowed to fall down the pitch several times and slow the game to a crawl. Should have been forced substitution. Clearly he wasn't able to go.

Lets hope Canada has something in mind for second half. No thanksgiving in this game so far.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Very big missed opportunity for 3 points today. Canada needs to be better going forward. They can't play that way against Panama or they'll be on the outside looking in

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Panama is about to close out the US so canada really dropped the ball today not getting 3 points against a very weak (so far) Jamaican team. They're now 1 point behind Panama and NEED to beat Panama. Canada can't keep drawing opponents. They need to start winning.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well, disappointing result. Panama is last on the table, winless, and Canada almost lost this game. A goal post and a cracking shot at end of time that Crepeau had to palm away to save the game.

Commentators are the biggest homer bunch shining this turd of a performance. Jamaica are winless and Canada almost gave it to them. On the run of play weren't even significantly the better side. Telecast saying these ties are helpful. Not necessarily. Teams that can gather wins advance. Due to 3 pts for W and only one for ties its a losers formula to just think ties will be enough. These are the games you have to have.

3 nations with a W today could pass Canada to take over 3rd. This draw really tightens up the standings. We have no margin, and in Concacaf you want a margin because some games can seem fixed, others you may go down a man witha red card. With performances like today Canada is leaving it all in the mix instead of serving notice of claiming one of the top 3 spots. Its still 6 teams right in it, and maybe Honduras as well. Interestingly Canada have played the two weakest sides and drawn both. Its a mixed bag for Canada of playing up with Mexico and US, and then down to whoever their opponent is. Thats not seizing the day.

To wit this is worse road result on this two game set of even losing outright to Mexico and beating Jamaica, the latter of which they should be able to do. Canada instead gets two ties worth only 2pts.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Panama is about to close out the US so canada really dropped the ball today not getting 3 points against a very weak (so far) Jamaican team. They're now 1 point behind Panama and NEED to beat Panama. Canada can't keep drawing opponents. They need to start winning.

Yep, on cue with the Panama and Costa Rica wins its an absolute dog fight. Canada punted to 4th, and I would say deservedly after todays debacle. I've followed these Concacaf rounds for 50yrs. you HAVE to get results. Draws don't do it. Even with Canada missing some of its best players today they have to have this one. Still disgusted in the telecast shining up this result. Coming in here Canada were favorites. They played by miles their worst game in months. In the telecast they were trying to make it sound like this Jamaican side was one of the toughest opponents. That is simply not accurate.

Panama is now must W on Wednesday. Canada has won only one game thus far in 5. A Panama win would be disastrous for Canada, and they look to be far better than what Canada faced today. Even Panama pulling out a draw in Canada sets them up better than where Canada is in the standings. Because playing in Panama will be tough. Especially with everything on the line. That will be the last match in qualifying. Would be a fools game for Canada to leave it all on the line to that one.

Panama are taking care of business, unlike Canada. They beat the US, drawed Mexico, and hammered Jamaica 3-0 with Jamaica even fielding a better lineup that day.

I hope Canada know how huge this game is.

Last edited:
Reactions: rboomercat90

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I know there's 9 games left but if Canada loses to Panama it's all but over. That would be a 4 point lead for Panama and its hard to make those points up since Panama is play the exact same teams we'll be playing.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I know there's 9 games left but if Canada loses to Panama it's all but over. That would be a 4 point lead for Panama and its hard to make those points up since Panama is play the exact same teams we'll be playing.

Uh...or not? After the game against Panama they will have played 6 games, and each team will have 8 more games. Would have been nice to get the win against Jamaica but half of their best starting squad didn't play due to not being released to play or being injured, and this was an away game. They picked up road draws against the top 2 teams in the US and Mexico, and now another road draw against Jamaica. Their remaining schedule is favourable. A loss to Panama would hurt but they would have plenty of games to make it up. Anyways, they should have a better starting lineup against Panama, notably Buchanan whose speed and ability to create chances was absent in today's game. They've got a good chance of picking up the W against Panama at home, and picking up 5 points for this 3 game segment would be another reasonably good result.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Uh...or not? After the game against Panama they will have played 6 games, and each team will have 8 more games. Would have been nice to get the win against Jamaica but half of their best starting squad didn't play due to not being released to play or being injured, and this was an away game. They picked up road draws against the top 2 teams in the US and Mexico, and now another road draw against Jamaica. Their remaining schedule is favourable. A loss to Panama would hurt but they would have plenty of games to make it up. Anyways, they should have a better starting lineup against Panama, notably Buchanan whose speed and ability to create chances was absent in today's game. They've got a good chance of picking up the W against Panama at home, and picking up 5 points for this 3 game segment would be another reasonably good result.

Well in fairness to the situation Canada is in 4th at this point after ties to the US and Mexico. If anybody had said Canada had those two results, and still only managed to be 4th people would say that was ridiculous.

Canada not getting wins in games against bottomfeeders like Honduras and Jamaica fairly nullifies the good results against the top two nations. Kind of how it works. But again ultimately its getting W's that matter. Ties don't do much. 3pts for wins and 1 for draws predicates that you need to have wins.

I don't see how you think the remaining schedule is favorable. We've played the two weakest nations in the draw already. We haven't played Panama yet, or Costa Rica, both reasonable opponents. The upcoming schedule if anything is more difficult. Unless you think Canadian National teams tend to take advantage of home side advantage in which case I'll remind of the brutal Honduras result.

All that said Canada has squandered any advantage they had before yesterday.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
When do tickets go on sale for Canada's games at Commonwealth? I looked at ticketmaster and there is nothing there yet. We are barely a month away.

Not on sale yet. First notice will probably be at CSA

National Team Match Upcoming - Canada Soccer

They often sell one game first, and then the two Commonwealth games will be on sale likely after the Panama game at BMO.

In anycase with this being a two game set and at this time of year here this won't be a sell out, either match. Mexico likely to have greater attendance but not even CFL playoffs sellout this time of year.

I would think combined attendance, lucky to get 50K. Last time Mexico was here for qualifying I was there and only 23K attendance. They'll likely be promotional tickets as well. Keep a lid on before buying. Theres no rush with this.

Hell not even BMO, with very limited attendance, is even close to selling out. They don't require distancing anymore in Ontario either. All tickets up for sale. Probably will be for the Edmonton matches as well.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You lose at home to a bubble team and you’re finished, it’s really as simple as that. Your only hope after that is beating that team by a better score on their field. This is CONCACAF. That doesn’t happen. Weird shit happens in these games when they’re being played in the Central American countries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad