GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This really is a good wave for Canada. I was late to the party but enjoying it. Albeit I've seen Davies around since he was here. What surprises me is how many good players we suddenly have out there.

I didn't catch this part of your edit when I replied initially.

Yes, this wave is exceptional (golden, almost ;)). It's not just Davies/David + a bunch of scrubs. They've got ballers in Laryea, Eustaqio and Buchanan. A solid defender in Johnson. Larin is a solid pro striker. Guys who don't get much publicity because they're playing in lower tier leagues. Buchanan especially, I think he actually has Davies-type potential if developed properly, and if we didn't have Davies, Buchanan would probably be the "anointed" one on this squad. In years past Buchanan would've easily been the best player on Team Canada but in this wave he's probably 4th or 5th best.

They've also got a bunch of guys coming up that aren't capped yet but have dual nationality. Some are signed to EPL clubs right now, that's how good their potential is. The hope is they'll be swayed by the allure of being a lock for WC play in 2026 and declare for Canada.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I didn't catch this part of your edit when I replied initially.

Yes, this wave is exceptional (golden, almost ;)). It's not just Davies/David + a bunch of scrubs. They've got ballers in Laryea, Eustaqio and Buchanan. A solid defender in Johnson. Guys who don't get much publicity because they're playing in lower tier leagues. Buchanan especially, I think he actually has Davies-type potential if developed properly, and if we didn't have Davies, Buchanan would probably be the "anointed" one on this squad. In years past Buchanan would've easily been the best player on Team Canada but in this wave he's probably 4th or 5th best.

They've also got a bunch of guys coming up that aren't capped yet but have dual nationality. Some are signed to EPL clubs right now, that's how good their potential is. The hope is they'll be swayed by the allure of being a lock for WC play in 2026 and declare for Canada.

All of the bolded have jumped out at me as well. Eustaqio reads and services well, and Laryea and Buchanan have just crazy pace for Soccer. Frequent milers out there. Heart and soul Laryea could be the most valuable player on the pitch. Wouldn't expect that on any club with Davies on it.

Agree with all your takes on Buchanan. He's quite composed and his stop and start tempo gives defenders nightmares. His ability to get around a defender is top notch. He's a one on one weapon, and it seems properly used on either wing. As you know I'm a Germany fan, I wish Leroy Sane played more like Buchanan on the German National team. Its what he should be doing. Sane has never really done much for Germany in tournament play.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
All of the bolded have jumped out at me as well. Eustaqio reads and services well, and Laryea and Buchanan have just crazy pace for Soccer. Frequent milers out there. Heart and soul Laryea could be the most valuable player on the pitch. Wouldn't expect that on any club with Davies on it.

Agree with all your takes on Buchanan. He's quite composed and his stop and start tempo gives defenders nightmares. His ability to get around a defender is top notch. He's a one on one weapon, and it seems properly used on either wing.

Eustaqio is the type of complete midfielder that this team badly needs. He's confident with his reads and confident with his delivery, a good combination for a midfielder. He's reliable but not overly "safe" like some of the other Canadian midfielders in the past were.

I said before that I think Laryea is the most underrated player on the team. You won't know what you have until you don't have it anymore, and he's the definition of that. Pace and work ethic for miles.

I think Buchanan actually dribbles better than Davies. Davies is straight up faster, but Buchanan has that nasty combination of flair, dribbling and pace that you'd expect to see on the wing in a European squad, not Team Canada. He needs to mature his game a bit, but his confidence to beat defenders and dribbling ability is special.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Especially considering how many people play high level professional soccer in the worlds game. In Soccer I always tell people that a dozen Gretzky's exist and 50 players as good as Messier, at anytime. To kind of put it into perspective in terms of numbers. People new to the game tend to hear most about Messi or Ronaldo but so many star players, even superstar players exist.

You are going to have to try and back that up with some data. Is there a group of 12 players that have roughly 150% more points than the next highest player? Ronaldo, who many consider a top-10 talent of all-time, and is easily one of the best 3 players of his generation, just broke the international goals record the other week (with his 110th goal), and is second in the all-time goal scoring behind Pele. For there to be "12 Gretzky's" you would need a player to be 150% above the record. So Ronaldo would need to have roughly 150-160 goals, and there would need to be 11 others just like him. This isn't even remotely close to the reality. Maybe I am missing your point though.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
So you identified three spans?(they just dont let you win these things you know)

no idea what this is supposed to mean. But it’s all good. I was just joking around.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Eustaqio is the type of complete midfielder that this team badly needs. He's confident with his reads and confident with his delivery, a good combination for a midfielder. He's reliable but not overly "safe" like some of the other Canadian midfielders in the past were.

I said before that I think Laryea is the most underrated player on the team. You won't know what you have until you don't have it anymore, and he's the definition of that. Pace and work ethic for miles.

I think Buchanan actually dribbles better than Davies. Davies is straight up faster, but Buchanan has that nasty combination of flair, dribbling and pace that you'd expect to see on the wing in a European squad, not Team Canada. He needs to mature his game a bit, but his confidence to beat defenders and dribbling ability is special.

Yeah even that play on the touch line by Buchanan where it looked like he lost the ball against the two American defenders but managed to pick it out and then streak down the wing took skill and confidence. It's too bad that, I think it was Larin, let up at the last moment as he was driving the net because if he wouldn't have that pass from Buchanan to the back post would have been perfect and it likely would have been 2-1 Canada.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah even that play on the touch line by Buchanan where it looked like he lost the ball against the two American defenders but managed to pick it out and then streak down the wing took skill and confidence. It's too bad that, I think it was Larin, let up at the last moment as he was driving the net because if he wouldn't have that pass from Buchanan to the back post would have been perfect and it likely would have been 2-1 Canada.

That said Buchanan sure zips the ball across. Could take a little pace off and still be dangerous. With the velocity of the passes the execution and positioning has to be perfect. I wish more players would just drop balls into the goal area and take some pace off so players can get to the balls.

You'll see more of that from veteran players. Just take some off the pass. Sure a defender or goalie might get to it. But maybe your team mate does too. When you whip it across you're basically doing your opponents defending as vast majority of those wicked crosses don't work.

Reactions: dsi and oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
That said Buchanan sure zips the ball across. Could take a little pace off and still be dangerous. With the velocity of the passes the execution and positioning has to be perfect. I wish more players would just drop balls into the goal area and take some pace off so players can get to the balls.

You'll see more of that from veteran players. Just take some off the pass. Sure a defender or goalie might get to it. But maybe your team mate does too. When you whip it across you're basically doing your opponents defending as vast majority of those wicked crosses don't work.
But you have a chance to score on a deflection with a fast ball.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I like Buchanan and hope he can develop, but I don't think he's there yet. He's already 22, has an inconsistent first touch, and his final product isn't great (I agree with Drivesaitl that he tends to overweight his passes). I think Belgium will be good for him, and I can very much see him following the David development route.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Whats the situation for Canada heading into round 2 of qualifiers?

Are we looking good in terms of point? What do we need from the next games to put us in position to qualify?

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Are we looking good in terms of point? What do we need from the next games to put us in position to qualify?

It's still early (there are still almost a dozen games to go). We have possibly our toughest match in the entire qualifying coming up next (away in Mexico at the Estadio Azteca), followed by two tough but manageable matches against Jamaica (which is missing two of their best players) and Panama.

7 points in those three matches would put us in an extremely good position, but 4-6 might be more realistic.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

We're only 3 games out of 14 match days in (home and away vs all teams in the "octagonal") so there's still a ton of soccer yet to play. But the next game vs. Jamaica is a good litmus test. Canada traditionally has a tough go in away games in the Caribbean, but Jamaica are currently at the bottom of the table and missing some players - time to see if this Canadian team is different than years past and has that killer instinct. It's time to get some points vs. teams behind us and put on some distance.

Edit: I missed that fact that Mexico is actually the next game, not Jamaica. I don't think we have a realistic chance - but lets see what the boys can muster!

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
We're only 3 games out of 14 match days in (home and away vs all teams in the "octagonal") so there's still a ton of soccer yet to play. But the next game vs. Jamaica is a good litmus test. Canada traditionally has a tough go in away games in the Caribbean, but Jamaica are currently at the bottom of the table and missing some players - time to see if this Canadian team is different than years past and has that killer instinct. It's time to get some points vs. teams behind us and put on some distance.

It's still early (there are still almost a dozen games to go). We have possibly our toughest match in the entire qualifying coming up next (away in Mexico at the Estadio Azteca), followed by two tough but manageable matches against Jamaica (which is missing two of their best players) and Panama.

7 points in those three matches would put us in an extremely good position, but 4-6 might be more realistic.

Thanks boys!! Always nice to have some context. Cheers

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'll watch the first period of the Oilers-Canucks game then switch over to watch the entire Canada-Mexico game. A win would be huge, so hopefully the Canadians can pull off the upset on the road. Curious to see how much different this game looks compared to the Gold Cup semifinal with the big guns in the lineup tonight for Canada. Need to bring the same effort they did that game and there needs to be less deference to Davies. There's enough talent on the team that they should be attacking and counter attacking from different areas of the pitch and throwing different looks at Mexico, and not just letting Mexico dictate possession.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Mexico isn’t nearly as intimidating as they used to be now that we have a better squad.

Famous last words…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad