GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Man, what a game. Canada carried the play for most of the game but that 7 or 8 minute spell around the 55-60 minute mark where Panama took over had me worried, and it was so frustrating because it was another game where Canada should have been leading at that point. Then Davies just made that goal happen all by himself to totally turn the momentum for Canada and that was it. I thought it was out, but that was all skill keeping the ball in with that split second reaction. Nice goals by Buchanan and David as well, and it was nice to see David get that goal with the earlier chances he had and with him seeming a little snake bit. Really good game by the midfielders and really the whole team staying on top of balls and not giving Panama breathing room for most of the game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Man, what a game. Canada carried the play for most of the game but that 7 or 8 minute spell around the 55-60 minute mark where Panama took over had me worried, and it was so frustrating because it was another game where Canada should have been leading at that point. Then Davies just made that goal happen all by himself to totally turn the momentum for Canada and that was it. I thought it was out, but that was all skill keeping the ball in with that split second reaction. Nice goals by Buchanan and David as well, and it was nice to see David get that goal with the earlier chances he had and with him seeming a little snake bit. Really good game by the midfielders and really the whole team staying on top of balls and not giving Panama breathing room for most of the game.
I thought that ball was actually out but we weren’t necessarily getting any breaks with the officiating either so whatever, it all balances out. :)

Reactions: oilers'72 and dsi

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Ngl watching soccer was super exciting tonight, not sure if the Oilers game will top that

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I thought that ball was actually out but we weren’t necessarily getting any breaks with the officiating either so whatever, it all balances out. :)

That's what I thought initially and on the replay too but it was tough to tell with the camera angle. But yeah, given Canada deserved better to that point sometimes that's just how the luck balances out.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Wow. .incredible 2nd goal there. Davies...I never get to see these things live:help:

Davies changed the game there. Exceptional effort. But that goal broke the game open and forced Panama to try to equalize, which led to the two other goals. If Davies doesn't perform magic there we could be talking about a different result, but we have him, so..

Outstanding Buchanan goal as well. As well placed a header as you will see.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
@Drivesaitl @Garbo Man

Hopefully you guys are re-optimized about the team after tonight. :)

Got the W. I was worried in the first half. Not a good way to start the game but finished really well. Davies is magic. But like I said this was a must W, and they got it, and now they've positioned themselves better. What always has to be remembered in Concacaf is you need to build a margin. Some games will be horribly officiated (worse than this) and there could be some questionable outcomes, especially on the road, so Canada has to be taking care of home field. This was a much different effort than in the Honduras game or the Jamaica game. Canada wasn't going to be denied today from the looks of things.

Gotta be special to be younger and following this movement.

Being what the Elks are I have no trouble with Team Canada taking over Commonwealth. If we can get tickets we'll be there.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ball wasnt out.

To be out in soccer the whole of the balls diameter has to be across the line.
Was that play not offside? There was a Canada player closer to Panama net when that kick was made.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't watch soccer but is Davies equivalent to Mcdavid?

Tough question. Definitely in same conversation. With proviso that many more people would know about and follow Davies than McDavid because Soccer is the biggest game on the planet. The way I approach questions like this is to say that Soccer has dozens of superstars in the world. When a billion people or more play a sport, and countless millions play it very competitively, you're going to have a lot of elite players.

What I've always respected about soccer is the magic occurs with the ball at the feet. Soccer is harder to play because you have to develop such skill with feet, unlike sports that are hand coordination oriented.

But watch the goal today. Note the extraordinary close speed of Davies, note this is his kind of acceleration while playing a game where you are on the field all the time. Note how many times in a game he's making a spectacular play, dribbling through traffic. The sky is the limit with this kid. Its quite possible that he could develop into one of the vary best players in the game and he's already the best or second best player on Bayern Munich, a club that is as dominant as the 70's Habs were.

Finally, Davies isn't just the best Canadian, or Concacaf player now, he's bidding to establish being the best there has been. Billions of people probably see Davies goal within 24hrs. It will be shown everywhere. Thats one point about how big it is.

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021
Tough question. Definitely in same conversation. With proviso that many more people would know about and follow Davies than McDavid because Soccer is the biggest game on the planet. The way I approach questions like this is to say that Soccer has dozens of superstars in the world. When a billion people or more play a sport, and countless millions play it very competitively, you're going to have a lot of elite players.

What I've always respected about soccer is the magic occurs with the ball at the feet. Soccer is harder to play because you have to develop such skill with feet, unlike sports that are hand coordination oriented.

But watch the goal today. Note the extraordinary close speed of Davies, note this is his kind of acceleration while playing a game where you are on the field all the time. Note how many times in a game he's making a spectacular play, dribbling through traffic. The sky is the limit with this kid. Its quite possible that he could develop into one of the vary best players in the game and he's already the best or second best player on Bayern Munich, a club that is as dominant as the 70's Habs were.

Finally, Davies isn't just the best Canadian, or Concacaf player now, he's bidding to establish being the best there has been. Billions of people probably see Davies goal within 24hrs. It will be shown everywhere. Thats one point about how big it is.
Damn, that's high praise. Everytime I've seen highlights he does impress me and this is someone that knows little about soccer hah.
Do you think he's equivalent to Messi/Ronaldo?

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad