GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Damn, that's high praise. Everytime I've seen highlights he does impress me and this is someone that knows little about soccer hah.
Do you think he's equivalent to Messi/Ronaldo?
No. those two have separated from other mortals. Those are two legendary superstars that are hard to explain. Those are generational players.

Davies is a star headed to superstardom. I mean Davies, even at his young age is already a heavily sought after player. We're so fortunate to have a player of this quality. Athletically though, Davies is second to none.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The speed of Davies is reminiscent of McDavid but I've always considered Messi to be the closest equivalent to McDavid - somebody who can do things with the ball that no one else can.

Drive is correct that Davies was starring as a wing back on a Munich team that is one of the top clubs in the entire world.

It's usually been big news for a Canadian player to even get regular rotation in a top Euro league, let alone a starring role.

Such a great ride with this Canadian team, really hope I can get tickets for November.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Was that play not offside? There was a Canada player closer to Panama net when that kick was made.
Only the player who is active in the play needs to be onside. Davies was definitely on side. Every corner now you can see this affect. A couple players will start offsides, just to make more chaos for the defenders.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Tough question. Definitely in same conversation. With proviso that many more people would know about and follow Davies than McDavid because Soccer is the biggest game on the planet. The way I approach questions like this is to say that Soccer has dozens of superstars in the world. When a billion people or more play a sport, and countless millions play it very competitively, you're going to have a lot of elite players.

What I've always respected about soccer is the magic occurs with the ball at the feet. Soccer is harder to play because you have to develop such skill with feet, unlike sports that are hand coordination oriented.

But watch the goal today. Note the extraordinary close speed of Davies, note this is his kind of acceleration while playing a game where you are on the field all the time. Note how many times in a game he's making a spectacular play, dribbling through traffic. The sky is the limit with this kid. Its quite possible that he could develop into one of the vary best players in the game and he's already the best or second best player on Bayern Munich, a club that is as dominant as the 70's Habs were.

Finally, Davies isn't just the best Canadian, or Concacaf player now, he's bidding to establish being the best there has been. Billions of people probably see Davies goal within 24hrs. It will be shown everywhere. Thats one point about how big it is.
Young children will be playing the line a lot tighter all over the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
No. those two have separated from other mortals. Those are two legendary superstars that are hard to explain. Those are generational players.

Davies is a star headed to superstardom. I mean Davies, even at his young age is already a heavily sought after player. We're so fortunate to have a player of this quality. Athletically though, Davies is second to none.
It’s abit premature to consider comparing careeres, time will tell whether he eclipses them. However individual plays amd affect on the next game, for that he is right there.

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
If my math is correct Canada should gain around 16-17 points when FIFA updates its rankings, which may be enough to push Canada inside the top 50 past Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
Fair to say that Alphonso Davies is the most prominent and talented athlete in Canadian sports at the moment.

He's transcendent in a truly global sport and is in the conversation of being the best left back in the world at 20 years old.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Are tickets on sale for the Mexico and Costo Rico games? Can't find them
Thinking about “the goal”, I have to admit I appreciate it much more, as a country mobilizing moment, then say the hand if god goal. We are lucky.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Are tickets on sale for the Mexico and Costo Rico games? Can't find them
Its been asked multiple times. Not yet on sale.

One report said they won't be on sale for two weeks. Perhaps they are trying to take time to figure out if seating will have to be distanced, or how many they should sell, etc.

Would read the fine print as well. For the game at BMO many fans could only enter the facility after half time. They actually stated that in the broadcast. Not sure if that was intended or because of backlog checking everybody in. That would be enormously frustrating missing half the game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thinking about “the goal”, I have to admit I appreciate it much more, as a country mobilizing moment, then say the hand if god goal. We are lucky.
We can call this one the "touch line of god" goal. :sarcasm:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I think the more apt comparison would be Nathan Mackinnon or Auston Mathews.

Hes a top 20 player and arguably top 2-3 in his position (some might say 1). Still young too.

I'm going to go with a young Paul Coffey.

Young, left-sided attacking defender with insane pace/skating who moves to an elite-level team at a young age and is a key component of championship winning teams.

If his career doesn't get sidetracked by injury, he could end up being listed as one of the best attacking LBs of all time. He's not (and won't be) Messi/Ronaldo level though.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Just watched the highlights. My God Davies is a beauty. Regardless of whether that ball was in or not that move he pulled to "keep that ball in" was master class
How about the 60 yards that he ran to close in on the defender that was getting control of the ball? I heard on Tim and Friends today that he was running at 37 kmh against Andre deGrasse who runs the 100 at a peak of 42 kmh. That is one fast Alonzo!

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I think the more apt comparison would be Nathan Mackinnon or Auston Mathews.

Hes a top 20 player and arguably top 2-3 in his position (some might say 1). Still young too.

This. He's right up there with Andy Robertson (LFC bias is showing) and a few others who you could argue IMO as best LB in the world.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Got sweet seats at Commonwealth for the November games. Super excited!

I'm still surprised they chose to play these games at Commonwealth in November. Game time temperature will likely be below zero, or possibly a few degrees above zero if the weather cooperates. Expecting the weather to cooperate for both games is a gamble. There could be snow, and two game in cold conditions like this isn't necessarily the best idea from an injury prevention point of view. I understand they want to make the Costa Ricans and Mexicans uncomfortable but there is definite risk with this strategy.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm still surprised they chose to play these games at Commonwealth in November. Game time temperature will likely be below zero, or possibly a few degrees above zero if the weather cooperates. Expecting the weather to cooperate for both games is a gamble. There could be snow, and two game in cold conditions like this isn't necessarily the best idea from an injury prevention point of view. I understand they want to make the Costa Ricans and Mexicans uncomfortable but there is definite risk with this strategy.
They’re betting that the opponents will feel more uncomfortable than themselves. Definite risk involved, and the quality of the soccer might not be great.

Might work out though. Canadian players obviously have more experience playing in cold weather as youth, and there are Canadian players playing in European leagues where the weather tends to be cooler. I’m not sure how many players on Costa Rica or Mexico play in Europe.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
They’re betting that the opponents will feel more uncomfortable than themselves. Definite risk involved, and the quality of the soccer might not be great.

Might work out though. Canadian players obviously have more experience playing in cold weather as youth, and there are Canadian players playing in European leagues where the weather tends to be cooler. I’m not sure how many players on Costa Rica or Mexico play in Europe.

It should definitely be an advantage for the Canadian players, I'm just concerned about the greater potential for injuries.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It should definitely be an advantage for the Canadian players, I'm just concerned about the greater potential for injuries.
Yeah, there’s risk involved for sure. But honestly if you can win a scrappy one against Costa Rica and come out with a draw against Mexico I’d probably call that a win overall.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yeah, there’s risk involved for sure. But honestly if you can win a scrappy one against Costa Rica and come out with a draw against Mexico I’d probably call that a win overall.

Yeah I think they could be satisfied with that result, but anything less than 4 points would be a disappointment. Obviously if they could take all 6 points that would be huge, so hopefully this gambit playing at Commonwealth pays off and they do come away with a couple wins.

FiftyFifty

Mar 13, 2018
I’m busy at work and forgot the presale today. When I looked right now there’s basically just single seats left. Did they hold back a bunch of seats for public sale or did it just somehow already basically sell out? I’m wondering as an elks season ticket holder, why wouldn’t I get first dibs on my same seats?

oilers106

Nov 25, 2008
Sam
I’m busy at work and forgot the presale today. When I looked right now there’s basically just single seats left. Did they hold back a bunch of seats for public sale or did it just somehow already basically sell out? I’m wondering as an elks season ticket holder, why wouldn’t I get first dibs on my same seats?

same Reason why Oilers season seat holders don’t get first dibs on all other events at Rogers place

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
just for sh-ts and giggles, Id love to see a charity race between the members of the Canada's 4x100 relay team, Alphonso and Chuba Hubbard.

Should the Canadian track consider Fonsie for the relay team?

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad