GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Might work out though. Canadian players obviously have more experience playing in cold weather as youth, and there are Canadian players playing in European leagues where the weather tends to be cooler. I’m not sure how many players on Costa Rica or Mexico play in Europe.

Not sure about Costa Rica, but I was looking at Mexico's roster and they only had a handful of European-based players on their squad. Canada certainly has more, especially in northern Europe (England, Scotland, Germany, Swiss, France), but also a handful in Southern Europe including Turkey and Greece. I think a big difference might be our MLS players who call places like Montreal, Toronto, Columbus, and Boston home.

Like others have said, Commonwealth in November is certainly a bit risky - but I like it. Away games in the Caribbean have traditionally been tough for us. So I don't mind seeing some confidence from Canada and that kind of scheduling-gamesmanship from us now. A victory against the Ticos is a must. A point against Mexico would be good.

Reactions: Cloned

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Anyone know what is in place for transportation for the games this week and next? Park and ride shuttles like the Elks games I presume but I can't find info anywhere.

Spurdo

Nov 2, 2021
I only know who alfonso davies is, hence I will only care if he is playing.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I had heard that the game in T.O. against Panama was a cluster in terms of people getting in. In fact so bad that some fans couldnt get in until halftime.
I sure to god hope its not like that here. It has real potential to be.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I had heard that the game in T.O. against Panama was a cluster in terms of people getting in. In fact so bad that some fans couldnt get in until halftime.
I sure to god hope its not like that here. It has real potential to be.
This is actually the case, and BMO doesn't sell half the seats we sell here. There were close to 26K for the Panama match at BMO. Thats HALF the attendance they will be seeing here at Commonwealth, for either game. The Covid certificate checking, new ticketing systems, and checking any bags or for paraphernalia all takes time. Of course in Soccer, a more that they are checking for, and that FIFA, Concacaf and CSA tend to think is necessary.

Soccer fans had tough time getting into Canadian classic at BMO Field | Toronto Sun

I didn't buy, and any other time I have, I've been to every Soccer match at commonwealth held this milennium, and I love Davies, but this is going to be a clusterf*** getting in, and I just don't deal well with stuff like that.

I'd recommend arriving early as possible but even that might not help much. They seem real obstinate about when they start letting people in. There just won't be window of time enough to get everybody through.

That said maybe CSA learned something after the BMO debacle where the crowd was still pouring in at start of 2nd half.

Last edited:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
This is actually the case, and BMO doesn't sell half the seats we sell here. There were close to 26K for the Panama match at BMO. Thats HALF the attendance they will be seeing here at Commonwealth, for either game. The Covid certificate checking, new ticketing systems, and checking any bags or for paraphernalia all takes time. Of course in Soccer, a more that they are checking for, and that FIFA, Concacaf and CSA tend to think is necessary.

Soccer fans had tough time getting into Canadian classic at BMO Field | Toronto Sun

I didn't buy, and any other time I have, I've been to every Soccer match at commonwealth held this milennium, and I love Davies, but this is going to be a clusterf*** getting in, and I just don't deal well with stuff like that.

I'd recommend arriving early as possible but even that might not help much. They seem real obstinate about when they start letting people in. There just won't be window of time enough to get everybody through.

That said maybe CSA learned something after the BMO debacle where the crowd was still pouring in at start of 2nd half.

Yes to all this.
And I sure hope the bolded is correct.
They should be opening up the stadium at least 2 hours prior. If they have a brain.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Thanks for digging that up. They really aren’t making it easy to find.

This has been my typical experience with COE site navigation. You have to go through the right department, right subheading, down 16 chicken trails to sometimes find information. You pretty much have to navigate their information externally, by googling for the answer, because you could spend an hour trying to find it onsite.

enjoy the game. Park n Ride is a a great way to get there which I encourage. ETS does this better than most of what they deliver.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This has been my typical experience with COE site navigation. You have to go through the right department, right subheading, down 16 chicken trails to sometimes find information. You pretty much have to navigate their information externally, by googling for the answer, because you could spend an hour trying to find it onsite.

enjoy the game. Park n Ride is a a great way to get there which I encourage. ETS does this better than most of what they deliver.

Ironically, you have to thank the Elks and CFL incompetence for this experience of seeing an actual WC qualifying game live in Edmonton.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wonder how ubering down to commonwealth will be, gonna be staying a bit north of west ed.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Funny enough, the Costa Rica game might be more important even though Mexico is the big name that more casuals will attend but winning Friday IMO is more important to create that separation in the table.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'll be at the game Friday.

Can't wait.

If you haven't been to many CMNT games its a lot of fun. First one here since 2008. Although the women have had several, also fun, but not same excitement and calibre.

The Voyageurs supporters really bring it coast to coast and get out to these games and by now have contingents all over. I was a member for a bit. I was offput when CSA made BMO the home site. Not sure if anybody out there realizes that Commonwealth Stadium at one point was the at least unofficial home of CMNT, and that most of the games were played here. Womens team as well at one point had this as a place to play most of their games. So we've had a lot of games, even tournaments here through the decades.

But the atmosphere at these matches is typically electric from word go. Lots of singing, banging drums, chanting etc. People really get into it. You'll recognize voyageurs sections right away, and maybe opponent sections if they establish.

Theres a different kind of excitement in soccer whereby the crowd is the scene. In that way its kind of like a concert where people watching is part of it. Soak it in, its a great experience. I've been so many times, and its nice that younger fans are now having the opportunity to support CMNT again in what is still a truly great stadium facility.

Tickets still available in endzone and mostly one side of stands, in the corners.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I only know who alfonso davies is, hence I will only care if he is playing.

Same here, I’m not a fan of soccer but the fans are absolutely wild so I’m attending strictly for the crowd and to add to my list of major sporting events attended this year.

In the last 2-3 months I’ve been to:

Raiders game in Vegas
Seahawks game in Seattle
Wilder/Fury fight in Vegas
Several Oilers home games
Raptors game in Toronto

These games will be cool to add to the list.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If you haven't been to many CMNT games its a lot of fun. First one here since 2008. Although the women have had several, also fun, but not same excitement and calibre.

The Voyageurs supporters really bring it coast to coast and get out to these games and by now have contingents all over. I was a member for a bit. I was offput when CSA made BMO the home site. Not sure if anybody out there realizes that Commonwealth Stadium at one point was the at least unofficial home of CMNT, and that most of the games were played here. Womens team as well at one point had this as a place to play most of their games. So we've had a lot of games, even tournaments here through the decades.

But the atmosphere at these matches is typically electric from word go. Lots of singing, banging drums, chanting etc. People really get into it. You'll recognize voyageurs sections right away, and maybe opponent sections if they establish.

Theres a different kind of excitement in soccer whereby the crowd is the scene. In that way its kind of like a concert where people watching is part of it. Soak it in, its a great experience. I've been so many times, and its nice that younger fans are now having the opportunity to support CMNT again in what is still a truly great stadium facility.

Tickets still available in endzone and mostly one side of stands, in the corners.
I got tickets center field about half way up.

my first professional soccer game, looking forward to the atmosphere

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Same here, I’m not a fan of soccer but the fans are absolutely wild so I’m attending strictly for the crowd and to add to my list of major sporting events attended this year.

Raiders game in Vegas
Seahawks game in Seattle
Raptors game in Toronto

Nice list of events!!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Raiders game in Vegas
Seahawks game in Seattle
Raptors game in Toronto

Raiders game is on my bucket list, also want to check out a NCAA football game at a big school like Alabama.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad