Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
People do realize that there are more people living within 2 hours of DT Toronto vs. Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Ottawa combined right? The market size of Toronto is enormous. It is what it is.

As for the Leafs being spoon fed as the first option on local sports shows across Canada, I cannot speak to that. If this is legit happening then that is a problem. I wonder if this is the case with Alberta and Manitoba as well or just BC.

I don't know how one could confidently say Habs or Leafs are a bigger draw out West. Seems like false ego chest thumping with little merit.

The Leafs better not implode tonight.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You're right. The Vancouver Canucks don't deserve to be aired in Rogers' most-watched hockey time slot.
You mean the only slot. If there were more slots the Leafs would lose a lot of viewers.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
For entertainment purpose I used to have all the TSN's and SN's channels only to end-up with blackouts.. Don't understand.. So I've just unsubscribed. I get everything from RDS1-2-3, TVAS1-2 and some funny links.

What's to understand about blackouts? There are two types of games: regional and national. National games are available nationwide. Regional games are only available in a team's local broadcast territory. It has nothing to do with the channel broadcasting it, but where you are located geographically. Seems pretty simple to me.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
People do realize that there are more people living within 2 hours of DT Toronto vs. Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Ottawa combined right? The market size of Toronto is enormous. It is what it is.
You know what market is bigger than GTA? Non-GTA.

GTA is what, 6 mil?

GVA is about 2.5-3
Calgary/Edmonton both over a million
Ottawa + Winnipeg add another mil+

So actually it's about the same. Not including the 2nd biggest metro area in Montreal.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
What's to understand about blackouts? There are two types of games: regional and national. National games are available nationwide. Regional games are only available in a team's local broadcast territory. It has nothing to do with the channel broadcasting it, but where you are located geographically. Seems pretty simple to me.
See it this way, you PAY for 12 channels and can't watch what's offered, it sucks. My opinion.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
But what is the purpose of them? Why is someone in Calgary watching the Jets/Habs play a bad thing for Sportsnet?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You mean the only slot. If there were more slots the Leafs would lose a lot of viewers.

Huh? What's this "only slot" nonsense? Rogers has two national broadcast slots on Saturday, and one or two on Wednesday. And they often have multiple games in the Saturday 7 pm ET slot. On Saturday nights these days, if the Leafs are playing at 7pm on a Saturday and another Canadian team is playing at the same time, both games are usually shown on nationally available channels.

And in a normal year, they usually have a national slot on Sunday as well.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
But what is the purpose of them? Why is someone in Calgary watching the Jets/Habs play a bad thing for Sportsnet?

It's got nothing to do with Sportsnet. It's the NHL and the individual teams. Essentially, the idea is to encourage people to be fans of their local team. So, you limit the amount of other teams' games that are available in your area. This becomes even more important when the out-of-market games are at the same time as a local game.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
I'm pretty sure that when TSN went from 2 channels to 5 channels, there was 0 change to my cable bill. And I am with Rogers not Bell.
Videotron here, you pay for the main channels and pick packages, pay more and lose spots for other channels.

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
You know what market is bigger than GTA? Non-GTA.

GTA is what, 6 mil?

GVA is about 2.5-3
Calgary/Edmonton both over a million
Ottawa + Winnipeg add another mil+

So actually it's about the same. Not including the 2nd biggest metro area in Montreal.

2 hours drive from DT Toronto is over 9 million. It's an enormous market. You are only pulling the GTA and ignoring Hamilton, Oshawa, Kitchener, and St. Catherine's all over 500, 000 in population and all within a comfortable driving distance of DT Toronto. It is an enormous market. Look up Golden Horseshoe and you'll see Torontos actual immediate market.

The fact you can add together the 4 largest cities out West and not even begin to get a sniff at equaling Torontos market size is kind of proving my point.

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
Were they the Knights commentators? I'm noticing they like to take a lot of shots at Canada. Probably still mad about thousands of Canadians turning T-Mobile into a home rink for the road team whenever a CDN team visits.

I think it was Daren Milard and some other dude...could have been the Vegas guys

Reactions: King K Rool

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
2 hours drive from DT Toronto is over 9 million. It's an enormous market. You are only pulling the GTA and ignoring Hamilton, Oshawa, Kitchener, and St. Catherine's all over 500, 000 in population and all within a comfortable driving distance of DT Toronto. It is an enormous market. Look up Golden Horseshoe and you'll see Torontos actual immediate market.

The fact you can add together the 4 largest cities out West and not even begin to get a sniff at equaling Torontos market size is kind of proving my point.
And the rest of the country is more than 3 times that.

Wait am I allowed to add Seattle to the Vancouver numbers? That's less than 2 hours from the city. Victoria too by ferry or air.

Reactions: nturn06

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough

Wait am I allowed to add Seattle to the Vancouver numbers? That's less than 2 hours from the city. Victoria too by ferry or air.

14 million people in Ontario, and they don't cheer for the west coast teams.

The Leafs has the biggest market, deal with it.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

As for the Leafs being spoon fed as the first option on local sports shows across Canada, I cannot speak to that. If this is legit happening then that is a problem. I wonder if this is the case with Alberta and Manitoba as well or just BC.

I don't know how one could confidently say Habs or Leafs are a bigger draw out West. Seems like false ego chest thumping with little merit.

The Leafs better not implode tonight.

I live in BC the Leafs aren’t always first, they are however at worst second. They get more coverage, but they don’t always open the show.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

The others are split between multiple teams, the Leafs get the coverage they do because they will draw more viewers then focusing on the others.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The others are split between multiple teams, the Leafs get the coverage they do because they will draw more viewers then focusing on the others.
Not outside Ontario. That's the point. You think more people in BC care about the Leafs than the Canucks? You're insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad