Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
So far this season the Leafs have scored 36 goals at 5v5.

And Vancouver and Edmonton both have more goals 5v5 (39 and 38 respectively). Although both teams have played more games than Toronto. Montreal and Winnipeg are at 33 goals 5v5 (both of which have played 1 less game).

So unless you say that Edmonton, Montreal and Winnipeg are right up there with the Leafs 5v5 play (leaving Vancouver out only because they've played 3 more games), not sure you are pulling stats out that make the Leafs sound amazing. Are they one of the top 3 teams in the division. Definitely.

Reactions: libertarian

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Top right is best.
  • Top left, few chances at both ends
  • Bottom left, allow many chances, generate few
  • Top right, generate many chances, allow few
  • Bottom right, many chances at both ends

With only intra-league play I wouldn't even bother cross-division comparisons, they might as well be seperate leagues.

As a fan of a team from the Canadian division, when you watch a different division it is definitely like watching a different league. It seems like there are almost no scoring chances wither way.

The High Event Division is very entertaining though :)

Reactions: Dache

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I heard one of the commentators in the Vegas-Colorado game call the North division, the Cookie division. :laugh:

Not even sure what's that's supposed to mean. He can't be commenting on the quality of the teams because the West division is basically 3 good teams and a bunch of garbage. The Knights, Blues and Avalanche are essentially guaranteed playoff spots.

Reactions: nofehr

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I heard one of the commentators in the Vegas-Colorado game call the North division, the Cookie division. :laugh:

Not even sure what's that's supposed to mean. He can't be commenting on the quality of the teams because the West division is basically 3 good teams and a bunch of garbage. The Knights, Blues and Avalanche are essentially guaranteed playoff spots.

Kind of hypocritical given how bad the West is.
I'm also getting tired of hearing people dump on the North division. It's become nothing but a series of cheap memes with nothing behind it. As noted by many of us, there is no legitimate comparisons between divisions because they're playing in four separate leagues. Last year's data is outdated; this season's data is too small a sample.

I'm rooting for Montreal, but even if another team comes out of the North I'm hoping they win the next round against the other divisional winner as an F-You to all the hot takes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yung Rotini

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm rooting for Montreal, but even another team comes out of the North I'm hoping they win the next
round against the other divisional winner as an F-You to all the hot takes.

It's such a dumb argument anyway.

Apparently the relative strength of the divisions is going to be decided conclusively by a small handful of individual playoff series between two teams.

I don't care what teams are involved - anyone can win in a seven game series, if you get the goaltending, if you have some injuries/COVID-19 luck, if you have a good match-up for the style and personnel of your team.

This idea that any team that comes out of any division will automatically be destroyed is prematurely silly.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's such a dumb argument anyway.

Apparently the relative strength of the divisions are going to be decided conclusively by a small handful of individual playoff series between two teams.

I don't care what teams are involved - anyone can win in a seven game series, if you get the goaltending, if you have some injuries/COVID-19 luck, if you have a good match-up for the style and personnel of your team.

This idea that any team that comes out of any division will be destroyed is prematurely silly.
Exactly. It reminds me of the the old standby that the entire Western Conference was naturally better than the entire East because of Chicago and LA.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Exactly. It reminds me of the the old standby that the entire Western Conference was naturally better than the entire East because of Chicago and LA.

That seemed to be a West bragging point, though. Apparently the Pens and Caps winning 3 straight Cups didn't automatically signal the East is best. ;)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That seemed to be a West bragging point, though. Apparently the Pens and Caps winning 3 straight Cups didn't automatically signal the East is best. ;)
Obviously not. Those were just individual Eastern teams. The West, on the other hand, gathered its superior power through a collective talent-meld.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
This is what I'm talking about when I say Toronto media is f***ing toxic and Leafs fans despise it more than anyone else in hockey who hates the Leafs and their fanbase because of the idiotic media.

Leafs are 11-3-2, #1 in the entire league in points at the moment and Willy is having a decent season even though his last 5 game stretch has been not so hot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is what I'm talking about when I say Toronto media is f***ing toxic and Leafs fans despise it more than anyone else in hockey who hates the Leafs and their fanbase because of the idiotic media.

Leafs are 11-3-2, #1 in the entire league in points at the moment and Willy is having a decent season even though his last 5 game stretch has been not so hot.

I wonder what kind of food vendor Simmons will blame Nylander's struggles on.

Reactions: Dache

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

And yet people on here say Toronto media "Overhypes" Leaf players and are big homers. They are the most negative media in any city
The media can't even give the team a compliment LOL

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And yet people on here say Toronto media "Overhypes" Leaf players and are big homers. They are the most negative media in any city
The media can't even give the team a compliment LOL

To be fair, most people aren’t talking about the Toronto Sun - which is all about clickbaity headlines and dramatic statements.

BOdcmq0CcAA5QPj.jpg

It’s more about perceived biases in the so-called national media outlets, real or not.

You have people arguing that every Canadian team should get equal billing and you have people pointing out that networks are driven by ad revenue and the larger fanbases will impact the content accordingly.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
People outside Ontario don't hate the Leafs because the local media is toxic. We don't really care, shit like that happens in Vancouver, Montreal, New York too and I'm assuming probably places like Ottawa, Alberta, Chicago, Detroit and any other hockey-focused market. Has a lot more to do with the national media (TSN, SNET, HNIC) that is supposedly NATIONAL focuses so much on Toronto-based sports. Not just the Leafs, but Raptors and Jays too.

Back in the day when Sportsnet's nightly highlight show was localized we'd still often get Leafs/Raptors/Jays highlights before the local team of any sport.

Reactions: libertarian

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

That's the Sun - nobody with a functional brain reads it.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Which is hilarious since 5/8 teams in their division are trash. You got Vegas, St.Louis, Colorado and then just baaaaad teams after that. It's probably actually the worst division in the league to be quite honest. The East is probably the best division but even then it isn't that strong either, Buf, NYR, NJ are realllly bad teams, but the other 5 are solid. North is just getting a lot of attention from the media because it's all Canadian and our fan bases are nuts.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

At least Simmonds is getting a lot of hate on Twitter for that stupid article.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Probably Ikea's Swedish Meatballs or the .99 hotdog combo

There's a certain irony in the fact a guy that looks like Simmons does would focus on someone eating something they shouldn't as a means of ridiculing their fitness level and commitment to being in shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad