Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I like Gus but don’t see him as a starter. Probably a decent backup but we have better in Sogaard and comparable in mando and merilainen. Maybe even the new guy Reidler.
Mando and Merilainen aren't remotely close to the same level prospect. Gustavsson has way more pedigree and moves way better. Top goalie at the WJC. Goalies take time. Hate this deal for the sens. Talbot is a 35 year old backup and frankly a shit teammate for this temper tantrum after they resigned Fleury. He isn't a superstar starter that can carry a 60 game load. This league is built on tandem goalies. After whining to his agent he clearly doesn't give a shit about winning. One headcase goalie out and one in. Big L for Teflon Dorion..

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This seems like a short-term win but has the potential to be a long-term loss if Gustavsson plays up to his potential.

Same with the Murray trade, it is a good move to rid ourselves of what we think is a bad contract presently, but if Murray pulls himself together and one of those two picks ends up an NHL'er, then no doubt this trade will be looked at as a loss in hindsight too.
That's the dilemma with any trade isn't it? You can only hope you make the right call more often than not

Go around the league, there's evidence of every franchise getting it right and getting it wrong. No one gets it right all the time

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Mando and Merilainen aren't remotely close to the same level prospect. Gustavsson has way more pedigree and moves way better. Top goalie at the WJC. Goalies take time. Hate this deal for the sens. Talbot is a 35 year old backup and frankly a shit teammate for this temper tantrum after they resigned Fleury. He isn't a superstar starter that can carry a 60 game load. This league is built on tandem goalies. After whining to his agent he clearly doesn't give a shit about winning. One headcase goalie out and one in. Big L for Teflon Dorion..
This league is about balancing today versus tomorrow. I am more comfortable with Forsberg and Talbot today than Forsberg and Gus today. Talbot started 49 games last year for a playoff team.

This trade might be wrong for us this year, but on a risk basis it is a prudent move.

I suspect it will be wrong for us for potentially many years. I think Gus is going to be good.

But that's the thing. Today versus tomorrow. We've been playing tomorrow for 5 years. And it seems like we're flipping to playing today. And we're going to be wrong on some of what we give up. It's going to happen. Guaranteed. We've got an impressive young core mostly locked up. I'll be thrilled if we give up a lot of tomorrow to give the core a shot at today for 5 years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This league is about balancing today versus tomorrow. I am more comfortable with Forsberg and Talbot today than Forsberg and Gus today. Talbot started 49 games last year for a playoff team.

This trade might be wrong for us this year, but on a risk basis it is a prudent move.

I suspect it will be wrong for us for potentially many years. I think Gus is going to be good.

But that's the thing. Today versus tomorrow. We've been playing tomorrow for 5 years. And it seems like we're flipping to playing today. And we're going to be wrong on some of what we give up. It's going to happen. Guaranteed. We've got an impressive young core mostly locked up. I'll be thrilled if we give up a lot of tomorrow to give the core a shot at today for 5 years.

I was pretty happy with Forsberg and Gus for this season, Talbot is an upgrade, but to me feels like an upgrade to the backup moreso than to the starter.

That said, I still consider the trade a win because it does more than just modestly improve the roster, it's, along with the DeBrincat trade, is a signal to the league that we are looking to compete now, I see this as improving our odds at landing a guy like Giroux, maybe convincing someone to waive a NTC

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hate this deal personally. Gustavsson is probably a better player right now and they burned 2.5 million. Don't even know if they have room for a d man. Forget about Giroux and a d.
I’m a little surprised by this take from you Bert. I’m a Gus guy but Talbot is the better goalie at this point in their careers. 2.1M is not hampering the budget to get Giroux and a D. Writing is on the wall for Brown and Zaitsev so that gives Dorion 22M more to spend on this years salary.

Norris
Formenton
Joseph
Brannstrom
Giroux
Top 4 RD

Plenty of room

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hate this deal personally. Gustavsson is probably a better player right now and they burned 2.5 million. Don't even know if they have room for a d man. Forget about Giroux and a d.
Sad thing is Gustavsson is the goalie equivalent of Brannstrom. They aged out as better players are coming up, fast, behind them. Sanderson is here. Sogaard is here. They were getting passed on the organizational chart, so they should be moved.

I was also high on Gus, but having Talbot as the backup is infinitely more reassuring

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sad thing is Gustavsson is the goalie equivalent of Brannstrom. They aged out as better players are coming up, fast, behind them. Sanderson is here. Sogaard is here. They were getting passed on the organizational chart, so they should be moved.

I was also high on Gus, but having Talbot as the backup is infinitely more reassuring

It's a bit weird to age out at 24 as a goalie.

I do get your point about organizational depth.

With goalies though, it always seems like you're flush and then suddenly you need one.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Goalies development curve is nothing like an undersized d man. Not comparable. Especially because Gustavsson isn't too small to play in the league without any freakish abilities.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Goalies are voodoo.

Murray could bounce back and be an all star for the next five years.

Gus could turn into a stud for over a decade.

Talbot could become a wonder for the season.

....or they could all fall flat on their faces.

I think the best thing you can do regarding netminders, is to have them on fairly short contracts (3 years or less), and ideally have your tandem at $6 mil or less on your cap (if you're planning to be a cap team).

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Goalies development curve is nothing like an undersized d man. Not comparable. Especially because Gustavsson isn't too small to play in the league without any freakish abilities.
Ultimately, the organization made Gus expendable because, organizationally, Sogaard is passing him. Brannstrom has his chance and got caught from behind. Colin White had his chance and got caught from behind. Ditto Logan Brown

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He just doesn’t have “it” imo. He’s good, but lacks the special traits to make for a great starter. We can always find a decent backup for the future. And like I said we may have one internally already. I get that that’s a big “may” but it’s not a big deal if we need to trade for one.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't hate it but not "high fiving" either.

Trading a young goaltender that has looked good at times and was recently given an NHL contract for a 35 year old goaltender with 1 year left on his contract is not what I would do.

I thought Gustavsson would be fine as the backup to Forsberg, who is not ideal either as the number 1. Now we have Forsberg and Talbot which provides more experience but I am not convinced it is that much better. Oh well. Kind of meh!

Hopefully Soogard is the "new Messiah" in goal for us.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
This move feels like a chest thump to show the league we are ready to compete right now but it seems short sighted.

Talbot was good last year on a team with the deepest defense in the league. He's going from playing behind Goligoski and Kulikov as a teams "worst" pairing, to Ottawa who still has major issues on defense.

I am not a fan of this move. Gus and Forsberg are a risk, but Gus is has enough potential to still break out. Forsberg showed he can steal games and give us chances to win and Gus was in the perfect position to challenge for a 1a/1b position. Plus Minnesota is in a cap crunch, I expect Dorion to fleece Guerin and get a draft pick if we're going to help them clear $3 million in capspace and give us out best goalie prospect.

Addressing our blueline and adding a top 4 defender with the money we are paying Tallbot gives us a better chance to win then getting Talbot who is a marginal upgrade and stop gap.

Reactions: maclean

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Fine losing Gus for a legit backup/push Forsberg.

Gus was great that COVID year, really shined in limited showings.

Last year he wasn’t great in the AHL or NHL. He was still pretty good positionally, but looked shook and lacked confidence.

I’m sure he’ll be fine, and perhaps have a late Anderson like resurgence, like Forsberg, but for now I like the acquisition of a sure thing.

Soogard was our top goalie prospect anyways, with Gus a close second. Mando is our mid level guy, and Meri is the “who the hell is that kid” from left field.

With the new kid this draft we still have prospects in each goalie slot in the organization. Soogard could be ready next season to replace Talbot.

Good luck Gus!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sad to see Gus go but this team
Needs a good start of the season and can’t afford to slip up on a goalie like Forsberg.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
He just doesn’t have “it” imo. He’s good, but lacks the special traits to make for a great starter. We can always find a decent backup for the future. And like I said we may have one internally already. I get that that’s a big “may” but it’s not a big deal if we need to trade for one.
You can lie to yourself if it makes you feel better, but I completely disagree. Gustavsson will be a starter in the league before long. With Sogaard coming I don't think the Senators will be burned by this trade, but I also will not discount what I saw in Gustavsson. Gus is a talented goalie, who will only get better as he gains more experience in the NHL. Gus will flourish as a backup for Fleury.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
You can lie to yourself if it makes you feel better, but I completely disagree. Gustavsson will be a starter in the league before long. With Sogaard coming I don't think the Senators will be burned by this trade, but I also will not discount what I saw in Gustavsson. Gus is a talented goalie, who will only get better as he gains more experience in the NHL. Gus will flourish as a backup for Fleury.
I wouldn’t put my eggs in a FG starter dream. But I wish the best for him. Seems like a good guy.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I was looking forward to a year of Forsberg and Gus, but I suppose I can understand management's desire to have someone more "proven" to tandem with Forsberg and raise the team's name-value credit. Another thing is I'm sure Talbot's fine, but in my head I have him firmly associated with the Oilers and the Oilers associated with poor goaltending, which is probably unfair but

Reactions: DrEasy

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This is really what caused the drama. Talbot went 13-0-3 to end last season. The guy did not have a regulation loss in the last two months of the regular season. Right before the playoffs started, Minnesota’s coach was quoted saying it was an “easy decision” in terms of who should start. Most Wild fans figured this meant Talbot would start game 1, including myself. Fleury proceeds to get games 1-5 against STL despite having worse numbers. He wasn’t bad, but he wasn’t spectacular either. Talbot deserved to start game 1. The fact it took till game 6 was a colossal lapse in judgement from Dean Evason/Bill Guerin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad