Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Has Talbot had any ongoing injury problems, like Anderson and Murray?
Don't know if this is true or not, but it's my lazy search. From my knowledge he's pretty healthy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220714-140518.png
    Screenshot_20220714-140518.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 23

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Just realized Talbot played NCAA hockey for a now-defunct program in Alabama of all places. Played there 2007-10 and the school cancelled it's men's hockey program some time later. Impressive that he was able to go from being undrafted playing in a lower tier NCAA league to being a 10 year NHLer.

The conference Talbot played in, never heard of any of those teams. Heard of Syracuse Orange basketball (or football) and Penn State football but not hockey.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You hate giving up a young goalie prospect who could come back to haunt you, but the reality is that there is only one crease, and only so many games to go around for goalie prospects. At some point, you have to make a decision, and this organization obviously decided that Sogaard was a better long term prospect than Gus. Gus is now 24 and clearly regressed last year, which is a red flag. Sogaard is 21, and clearly outplayed Gus last year. (It's worth noting that Gus got two playoff games for Belleville last year, losing them both.) Was anyone here comfortable giving the crease to Gus in the event of a long term injury to Forsberg? I know I wasn't.

This team has a legit shot to make the playoffs, and you owe it to them to give them some steady goaltending. Talbot provides that. I dig that he wants to play a lot of games - goalies are like quarterbacks in that they need to be supremely confident bordering on a little arrogant. Why should he have been happy in Minnesota? He outplayed Fleury, and lost the crease due solely to Fleury's name and reputation. Any competitor is going to be angry with that outcome.

I like this tandem - it's kind of old school having two veterans as opposed to one guy who you need to play 70+ games, praying every night he doesn't get hurt. My only caution is that DJ is going to have to tell them right at the beginning of camp exactly how he's going to handle the playing time, just so that everyone is clear. Personally, I like "win and you're in", with the exception of back to backs...

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We went from paying 3 goalies $10 ish to two Goalies about $7 ish.

That pays for Giroux having moved Brown.
Good point. Also, the three goalie thing was never going to fly - that was just a bluff by our GM. Three goalie situations inevitably result in one guy being very unhappy and getting very little work, and are unsustainable for any length of time.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Good point. Also, the three goalie thing was never going to fly - that was just a bluff by our GM. Three goalie situations inevitably result in one guy being very unhappy and getting very little work, and are unsustainable for any length of time.
Ya I was really hoping that wasn't going to be a thing. Having a 3 goalie situation with one of them in and out constantly like Murray, but getting precedence for starts, is just a distraction and probably an annoyance to the other 2. I'm much more comforted by two guys that can hold their own and be more of a tandem.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Looking forward to seeing some fresh goalie kit soon. Looks like Talbot is a Daveart guy and always incorporates the ghost from Ghostbusters on his lids.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You hate giving up a young goalie prospect who could come back to haunt you, but the reality is that there is only one crease, and only so many games to go around for goalie prospects. At some point, you have to make a decision, and this organization obviously decided that Sogaard was a better long term prospect than Gus. Gus is now 24 and clearly regressed last year, which is a red flag. Sogaard is 21, and clearly outplayed Gus last year. (It's worth noting that Gus got two playoff games for Belleville last year, losing them both.) Was anyone here comfortable giving the crease to Gus in the event of a long term injury to Forsberg? I know I wasn't.

This team has a legit shot to make the playoffs, and you owe it to them to give them some steady goaltending. Talbot provides that. I dig that he wants to play a lot of games - goalies are like quarterbacks in that they need to be supremely confident bordering on a little arrogant. Why should he have been happy in Minnesota? He outplayed Fleury, and lost the crease due solely to Fleury's name and reputation. Any competitor is going to be angry with that outcome.

I like this tandem - it's kind of old school having two veterans as opposed to one guy who you need to play 70+ games, praying every night he doesn't get hurt. My only caution is that DJ is going to have to tell them right at the beginning of camp exactly how he's going to handle the playing time, just so that everyone is clear. Personally, I like "win and you're in", with the exception of back to backs...

Yes, I agree to "win and you're in" for the next game. Provides incentive to stay focused and play well.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I respect the decision to make this move.
I would have been fine/OK with Forsberg and Gustavsson. Gus has a future whereas Talbot does not due to his age. One bad year does not make a career, so I am patient with Gus. The Senators are not a contending team for the SC this coming season 2022-23 and may not make the playoffs either.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would have been fine/OK with Forsberg and Gustavsson. Gus has a future whereas Talbot does not due to his age. One bad year does not make a career, so I am patient with Gus. The Senators are not a contending team for the SC this coming season 2022-23 and may not make the playoffs either.
Good goaltending may be the difference between the playoffs and not.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Good goaltending may be the difference between the playoffs and not.
It was the biggest area that we needed to address for this season, imo. Great move. You need two reliable goalies if you want to compete and we haven't had that since Anderson/Lehner. Until now.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I’m not sure either goalie is reliable
Talbot is pretty reliable. He's had what, one off year in the last 9? Forsberg I'm more iffy about, but I think its the most promising tandem we've had in a very long time. If either guy plays as well as they did last year, we'll be in pretty good shape.

Either way, it's a big step up from Murray/Forsberg/Gustavsson.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Talbot is pretty reliable. He's had what, one off year in the last 9? Forsberg I'm more iffy about, but I think its the most promising tandem we've had in a very long time. If either guy plays as well as they did last year, we'll be in pretty good shape.

Either way, it's a big step up from Murray/Forsberg/Gustavsson.
Hope so. I don’t have anything against the trade. But our goaltending is far from a slam dunk right now

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hope so. I don’t have anything against the trade. But our goaltending is far from a slam dunk right now
Goaltending is never a slam dunk. I'm sure Florida thought they had a slam dunk locked up for years when they signed Bob.

Assuming our two guys are healthy, I think playing the hot hand and a 50/30 split to whoever has the better year puts us in a solid situation to get 60 games with a .900+ save percentage which is generally where it needs to start to have a chance at a win.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I can see some concern with the ceiling on the goaltending, but that is a luxury very few teams get. They're both solid and I have a lot of confidence we'll see two healthy starters giving us 910-915 sv%, I just don't expect much more than that.

Reactions: cudi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad