Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Fantasy question, sorry didn't really know which thread to put it in. You guys obviously watch him more than I do, so I'm curious what's the feeling around Forsberg now that Talbot is out for an extended time? He was good last year, but that's really his first sustained success in the NHL. You guys think he's got another good season in him? I currently have Grubauer, who was objectively horrible last year behind a decent defensive team in Seattle, but we have unlimited drops before the season starts and Forsberg is sitting in free agency. Which do you think is more likely, a repeat of what Forsberg did last year, or a bounce back for Grubauer?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Fantasy question, sorry didn't really know which thread to put it in. You guys obviously watch him more than I do, so I'm curious what's the feeling around Forsberg now that Talbot is out for an extended time? He was good last year, but that's really his first sustained success in the NHL. You guys think he's got another good season in him? I currently have Grubauer, who was objectively horrible last year behind a decent defensive team in Seattle, but we have unlimited drops before the season starts and Forsberg is sitting in free agency. Which do you think is more likely, a repeat of what Forsberg did last year, or a bounce back for Grubauer?
If your league counts goalie wins, I'm about 65% sure Forsberg will get more wins if nothing else.

Reactions: 542365

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya, I suppose. What if there's another injury?
Not sure what you mean. If a player is expected to be injured for an extended period you put him on IR, that frees up a spot on the roster allowing you to call someone up in his place without needing to waive someone to make room

LTIR opens up cap relief by allowing you to exceed the cap by up to the amount of the player you place on LTIR (there's a bit more to it, for a team with cap space remaining they use that first).

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Not sure what you mean. If a player is expected to be injured for an extended period you put him on IR, that frees up a spot on the roster allowing you to call someone up in his place without needing to waive someone to make room

LTIR opens up cap relief by allowing you to exceed the cap by up to the amount of the player you place on LTIR (there's a bit more to it, for a team with cap space remaining they use that first).
I guess I was thinking if two players got injured with expensive contracts that put us over the cap ceiling. I haven't really worked out all the different angles.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The style most goalies play, along with a more wide open brand of hockey, is causing a lot more injuries. Add in most of our netminders lately have been well over 30....yeah, we're going to have a lot of injuries.

Another reason NOT to move that 2023 1st rounder.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I guess I was thinking if two players got injured with expensive contracts that put us over the cap ceiling. I haven't really worked out all the different angles.
I think it’s only a positive if the player is out for the season, or I suppose if you want to kick your cap troubles down the road a few months.

If the player is insured, then there could be some real time dollars saved perhaps?

Either way, it won’t help us at this time by the looks of things.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Why mention Power? We never had a chance to draft him...

On the other hand, the Sens had the opportunity to draft Wallstedt in 2021. They instead decided to draft a guy who was seen as a 2nd round pick by many, late 1st at most

They could have just traded up...

Had they drafted Wallstedt he wouldn't be on the roster just to ride the bench while Talbot is out. It's irrelevant who they drafted when it comes to any discussion involving Talbot or his injury.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They could have just traded up...

Had they drafted Wallstedt he wouldn't be on the roster just to ride the bench while Talbot is out. It's irrelevant who they drafted when it comes to any discussion involving Talbot or his injury.

No I agree but now without Gustavsson, all our eggs are in the Sogaard basket I find. I am really high on that guy (highest since Lehner) but you never know with goalie development.

I wanted us to draft the BPA but if it was to take Boucher, then I would rather have one of the best goalie prospects in the world

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
So far no complaints about Talbots play. He'll be getting more and more starts, and he's doing what he can with what he has in front of him. Should have had the police called after he robbed the Devils forward on this goal.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Bad game last night. No one bails him out, and he isn't bailing this team out.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Even if its against the Quacks, Talbot played phenomenal and deserved that shutout.

With Stu out, hopefully Talbot can steal a game or two, dudes been giving us a chance to win when he plays

Absolutely, he looked stupid good at times making key saves. A hardworking shutout and first regulation win at home to get both in the bag. Well done!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He’s a player on the team. Sometimes the goalie is the problem, and sometimes he solves the problems.

Good teams have a goalie who can keep you in it until you take over the scoreboard, and Talbot was that guy tonight.

If he and Forsberg can play at this level for us we’ll see the wins start to stack :)

Thank you Talbot, you literally kept our defensively collapsed sorry asses in the game
Every team has several defensive collapses every game because the other team is filled with world class players as well. Good teams have a goalie who can do his job when called upon more often than not. Talbot was that guy tonight and last night.

Boom, a couple of wins!

Reactions: CdnHkyFn

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Every team has several defensive collapses every game because the other team is filled with world class players as well. Good teams have a goalie who can do his job when called upon more often than not. Talbot was that guy tonight and last night.

Boom, a couple of wins!
And we happen to have these collapses more often than not.

Really happy with Talbot, out of his last 10 starts, only two games with a save percentage below .917.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
And we happen to have these collapses more often than not.

Really happy with Talbot, out of his last 10 starts, only two games with a save percentage below .917.
Actually we have these collapses less frequently than the team were playing which is what you want.

It's a tight league that has strived hard to achieve parity. Through 29 games the ice is tilted slightly in our favour.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad