Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Might as well extend him considering how the dude is out here tryna get Reynolds involved in ownership. If Soogard isn't ready, Talbot and Forsberg is a serviceable 1a/1b tandem. A two year extension with a $2.5aav seems fair

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Its not just tonight. I've felt this way for a while. We always rush to sign average goalies. Hes not good been enough to warrant a contract right now.
He's better than average, he was an all-star last yr, let's not forget the defence in front of him either. Who is better that is available?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well, 0.924 save pct Gustavsson was available...ahem.
Then why wasn't he better when he was here? He has a better defensive team in front of him now, maybe that has something to do with it.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
He's better than average, he was an all-star last yr, let's not forget the defence in front of him either. Who is better that is available?

This is why he should be a deadline move.

We aren't going for the Cup this year, other teams are. Let them give us some futures for him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is why he should be a deadline move.

We aren't going for the Cup this year, other teams are. Let them give us some futures for him.
Are you comfortable going with Forsberg for next yr & going with one of our prospects or picking up another UFA goalie this summer?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Are you comfortable going with Forsberg for next yr & going with one of our prospects or picking up another UFA goalie this summer?

It will require Dorion doing a little digging around but yeah.

Now is the time to experiment a little bit. How old will Talbot be by the time this team is really supposed to contend? 36? 37? 38? Not everyone is Dwayne Roloson or Craig Anderson.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Varlamov, Jarry, Andersen, Blackwood, Korpisalo, and Adin Hill are all a bit interesting and hit UFA this offseason. No reason why the team should get tunnel vision with Talbot, who will be 36 before next season starts. If they can get an asset for him they should do that.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its not just tonight. I've felt this way for a while. We always rush to sign average goalies. Hes not good been enough to warrant a contract right now.
Way too many games where he can't find his net and it's obvious from the get go. Don't want them to sign him. They need more consistency.

He was an all-star last year. I wouldn't say he's average.
He's very average.

Reactions: OD99

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Then why wasn't he better when he was here? He has a better defensive team in front of him now, maybe that has something to do with it.

seems like its more the team in front that made the goalies look like all-stars.

Talbot is fine, but theres a reason hes bounced around so much.

Then add in the fact the Wild didnt trust him as the #1 and brought in Fleury

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Because he was a 22 year old goalie that was played like a yoyo up and down all season when he needs some consistency in development. The sens were so bad in front of him last year. It was astonishing to watch. The year before he was the sens best goalie. Goalies take time to develop.

Right now in minny he has a .924 and Fleury has a .901. It's not just the team he's good. He is a way better technical goalie than Talbot.

Ssns gave up on him way too early. Another Dorion blunder.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Because he was a 22 year old goalie that was played like a yoyo up and down all season when he needs some consistency in development. The sens were so bad in front of him last year. It was astonishing to watch. The year before he was the sens best goalie. Goalies take time to develop.

Right now in minny he has a .924 and Fleury has a .901. It's not just the team he's good. He is a way better technical goalie than Talbot.

It boils down to us not being ready to count on him as our starter this offseason (understandable), but we signed ourselves into a corner by extending Forsberg when clearly we didn't think he was an option as a starter either.

Personally I was fine going with Gus and Forsberg, but it seems clear Dorion wants a vet starting goalie and isn't satisfied letting someone grow into the position.

Reactions: bert

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
It boils down to us not being ready to count on him as our starter this offseason (understandable), but we signed ourselves into a corner by extending Forsberg when clearly we didn't think he was an option as a starter either.

Personally I was fine going with Gus and Forsberg, but it seems clear Dorion wants a vet starting goalie and isn't satisfied letting someone grow into the position.

Which is such a weird philosophy considering we let everyone else do just that.

It's rather frustrating watching this team trade away young goalie after young goalie... it's the third time this decade that we've traded away young goalies that would go on to be starters/fringe vezina candidates in favour of guys a decade + older than them.

It gets rather tiring having someone elses has-been or never was, rather than developing and trusting in our own guys... I hope Sogaard or Merelainen (SP) become the guy for us, but more importantly, I hope the team gives one of them a chance at some point... commit to a young guy and give them a proper shot instead of just fielding whatever mercenary 1b is available in the offseason.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Varlamov, Jarry, Andersen, Blackwood, Korpisalo, and Adin Hill are all a bit interesting and hit UFA this offseason. No reason why the team should get tunnel vision with Talbot, who will be 36 before next season starts. If they can get an asset for him they should do that.
Somebody posted a list of the free agent goalies in another thread. There were several free agent goalies. I don't remember which thread, but it's in here somewhere. It's worth a glance imho.

I'm not against Talbot, but just making the point there are alternatives.

I hope that our new owners will be bigger players in the free agent marketplace when there is a definite need.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Which is such a weird philosophy considering we let everyone else do just that.

It's rather frustrating watching this team trade away young goalie after young goalie... it's the third time this decade that we've traded away young goalies that would go on to be starters/fringe vezina candidates in favour of guys a decade + older than them.

It gets rather tiring having someone elses has-been or never was, rather than developing and trusting in our own guys... I hope Sogaard or Merelainen (SP) become the guy for us, but more importantly, I hope the team gives one of them a chance at some point... commit to a young guy and give them a proper shot instead of just fielding whatever mercenary 1b is available in the offseason.
I think there's value to having a goalie who can ensure all the mistakes a young team will inevitably make don't end up in the back of the net, nothing crushes a prospects confidence faster than seeing every mistake end up in the back of the net.

That said, I agree that we've been less than patient

Trading off Bishop and Lehner to bank on a 34 year old Anderson

Letting Daccord go made more sense since we had to choose between him and Gus, we made the right call there

Trading Gus for Talbot though seems like a misstep, just like trading for Murray.

We need to groom these guys into starting rolls, not block them with middling options until we are forced to choose between losing them to waivers or trading them because we don't want to look bad waiving the goalie we're paying 3+ mil for.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Talbot was an all-star goalie last yr & has played very well with a porous defence in front of him. I liked Gus but he wasn't great while he was here & age has a lot to do with it, but they needed to improve in nets & the thought was that Sogaard was going to be the goalie of the future who was playing well. Amazing how much things can change with goalies in a yr. We'll see how he does while Fleury takes a leave of absents. Forsberg let in 3 goals in 5 shots on Saturday, both weren't very good & the team in front of them didn't help much either.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Talbot was an all-star goalie last yr & has played very well with a porous defence in front of him. I liked Gus but he wasn't great while he was here & age has a lot to do with it, but they needed to improve in nets & the thought was that Sogaard was going to be the goalie of the future who was playing well. Amazing how much things can change with goalies in a yr. We'll see how he does while Fleury takes a leave of absents. Forsberg let in 3 goals in 5 shots on Saturday, both weren't very good & the team in front of them didn't help much either.
Gus was pretty great two years ago. He has the pedigree, they gave up on him way too early. The way the sens handled Gus's development was terrible. Alot of that had to do with Murray and his inability to stay healthy/whatever his problem was.

Is it 8 or 12 goalies that make the all star team every year now... Either way thats alot, Minnesota felt they needed to go get Fleury for a reason. This is Talbots 6th NHL team and 8th pro team. He is what he is a journeyman back up. Overpaid in my opinion.

Forsberg let in 3 in 5 but none were close to as bad as the 4th goal he is just more stable, to score on him it has to be a great shot; that's not the case with Talbot. Talbot loses his net, he is technically very average and doesnt track pucks well. I havent seen a goalie so on and off at his age its too inconsistent for me. I really dont think he is the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm fine to extend Talbot if the cap hit is low and he doesn't go past 2 years. If we can get him at a paycut of $2.5 million aav for two years, sign him. Talbot and Forbserg aren't a bad duo, both of them have been the least of our problems. If we want to move either of them because we feel Soogard is ready, each are signed at a low enough caphit that it won't be too difficult.

If we want to make a push for a playoff spot, really should keep Talbot unless someone offers us something too good to refuse. And this is coming from someone who didn't understand the trade and wasn't a fan of it since we were dealing with Minnesota, the most cash strapped team in the league due to Guerin's genius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad