Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens goalie depth situation is not very good at the moment.
Need Talbot to get healthy quick. ... No surprise trips to Belleville if they want to move him at the deadline.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He'll be 36 this summer. If he's back, it better be for like 1-2 mil. Nothing special and no team will give him the starters net next year.

Not sure what we do, but I'd rather move on and try really hard to upgrade on him. We need a capable starter if we're going to push for a playoff spot next year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Out 3-4 weeks with a groin injury.

Honestly as bad as he's looked in 2023 I'd probably just keep him at this point if he's open to signing a 1-2 year deal. Can't see us getting much for him via trade.

Might be able to get him a lot cheaper than he would have otherwise cost to provide insurance in goal.

Reactions: swiftwin

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I assume that 3-4 weeks is retroactive to 2.5 weeks ago when the injury happened. Garrioch said he thinks there's a chance he's ready to go for the back-to-back next week.

If he would take a paycut down to around 1.75M or 2M it would make sense to keep him for a year.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Out 3-4 weeks with a groin injury.

Honestly as bad as he's looked in 2023 I'd probably just keep him at this point if he's open to signing a 1-2 year deal. Can't see us getting much for him via trade.

Might be able to get him a lot cheaper than he would have otherwise cost to provide insurance in goal.
He has had a rough 2023, no question.

But both goalies are not the reason why Ottawa is on the outside looking in. The goalies were mid pack all season. This team had no one who could score when it mattered.

Don't understand all the Talbot hate online, especially on Twitter. And I know hindsight is 20/20. But Gus is getting torched behind this team, and he is better in Minny because Minny is better. I don't think anyone here could realistically say that they were happy with Forsberg/Gustavssoh to start the year.

I am totally on board with extending him.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Don't think we'll be able to move him at all, if we can extend him to a deal with a $2million aav, nows the time to do it

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
He has had a rough 2023, no question.

But both goalies are not the reason why Ottawa is on the outside looking in. The goalies were mid pack all season. This team had no one who could score when it mattered.

Don't understand all the Talbot hate online, especially on Twitter. And I know hindsight is 20/20. But Gus is getting torched behind this team, and he is better in Minny because Minny is better. I don't think anyone here could realistically say that they were happy with Forsberg/Gustavssoh to start the year.

I am totally on board with extending him.

I could. Forsberg was our best player last year and Gustavsson was a high drafted prospect who had impressed in his NHL starts.

not to mention we save a bunch of money which means we can get better depth and be a better team.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I could. Forsberg was our best player last year and Gustavsson was a high drafted prospect who had impressed in his NHL starts.

not to mention we save a bunch of money which means we can get better depth and be a better team.

You were in the small minority. It was pretty much universally praised as a shrewd move that would help shore up the Senators goaltending.

Good on you for being right today, but goalies are anyone's best guess imo. Zeros becomes heros and vice versa every season on multiple teams. Goalies truly are only as good as their last game.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Those injuries are piling up. Seems there's a trend of goalies in their 30s having some major problems staying healthy.

Crazy as it sounds, it seems we're at the point where we'll have to seriously look at targeting another netminder in the draft again (and by targeting, I mean a kid slotted to go between rounds 2-4 or so, not waste a first rounder).

Not sure I like the idea of extending Talbot for more than 1 season, unless we're talking minimal (under 2 mil) salary.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Imo id rather not resign talbot and instead bring meralinen over next year for ahl and bring soogard up to start getting starts with support from forsberg
Use talbot $$ to help pay for some help on D or to pay Cat

• Wow
Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

Southern Minny

Nov 29, 2021
I come in peace, what did you all not like in Gus? Or do you feel they gave up on him too soon? The kid has been solid for us.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I come in peace, what did you all not like in Gus? Or do you feel they gave up on him too soon? The kid has been solid for us.
He had a rough season last year, but more importantly the team wasn't ready to run with an improven tandem of Gus and Forsberg after trading Murray.

We needed someone to bridge us until Sogaard, who is seen as the next one in line, is ready, in theory we could have replaced Forsberg with a vet starter and used Gus as backup,

All that said, the lack of patience really stems from a desire to be competitive this season, they really wanted to have a proven starter, and Forsberg was already locked up as a backup leaving no room for a waivers eligible unproven goalie.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If there's one silver lining to this mess it is this - Talbot is going to get almost every start for the rest of the year when healthy, save for a handful of back to backs. He should be highly motivated, as he is playing for a contract for next season. At this point, we really have no choice but to run with Talbot as an "own rental" and see how it goes...

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

He had a rough season last year, but more importantly the team wasn't ready to run with an improven tandem of Gus and Forsberg after trading Murray.

We needed someone to bridge us until Sogaard, who is seen as the next one in line, is ready, in theory we could have replaced Forsberg with a vet starter and used Gus as backup,

All that said, the lack of patience really stems from a desire to be competitive this season, they really wanted to have a proven starter, and Forsberg was already locked up as a backup leaving no room for a waivers eligible unproven goalie.
It seemed like they were grooming Gustavsson over the years though to eventually be the starter. He also seemed like a key piece coming back to the Senators in the trade that acquired him.

I do wonder if Dorion knew the Senators needed a good year if he had any hope of remaining as the GM. I get the idea of wanting to be a better team and not wanting to take any chances, but if the expectations were just to play meaningful games in March this season, then why wouldn't utilizing a young tender as the backup be in line with that strategy? That's why I wonder if the pressure to have a good season was the reason behind moving Gus.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It seemed like they were grooming Gustavsson over the years though to eventually be the starter. He also seemed like a key piece coming back to the Senators in the trade that acquired him.

I do wonder if Dorion knew the Senators needed a good year if he had any hope of remaining as the GM. I get the idea of wanting to be a better team and not wanting to take any chances, but if the expectations were just to play meaningful games in March this season, then why wouldn't utilizing a young tender as the backup be in line with that strategy? That's why I wonder if the pressure to have a good season was the reason behind moving Gus.

The real problem was when we decided to extend Forsberg after a really good year, we committed to him being our backup. That all but guaranteed Gus was on the way out as he was waiver exempt. When we managed to trade Murray there was the slight possibility of running with Forsberg and Gus, but with Dorion championing meaningful games in March, that seemed pretty risky.

I think Gus having a bad season right before becoming waiver eligible spooked Dorion, he saw it as Hogberg all over again

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Dorion is an idiot. He gives up on a goalie after 22 games and thinks his development isn't worth it. He's stupid enough to assume that our defense contributed nothing to Gus not performing in the 18 games he played last season. Rather than shore up the defense, he decides Talbot is the answer.

Reactions: NB613

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hindsight .. should have kept Gus. Gus was inconsistent here but that is a young player thing that improves over time imo.
Team was not ready to compete for a spot . Dorion over estimated where they were .. More hope and emo driven which is a Dorion pattern.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Hindsight .. should have kept Gus. Gus was inconsistent here but that is a young player thing that improves over time imo.
Team was not ready to compete for a spot . Dorion over estimated where they were .. More hope and emo driven which is a Dorion pattern.

Tbh Gus was just plain bad last year after he showed well the year before. Easy to say now and technically they could've ran with it but with the moves that were made and the hope to get a Dman in the offseason I thought the Talbot move made sense. After all that happened in the last 5 years I thought it was time the team tried to make moves towards a winning roster.

Gus had a wide open spot in net on this team last season, many people thought he would have a shot at the starter role but he dissapointed. He's young and all but clearly team didn't see him as the long term option.

This year bad luck played a part with injuries to key players like Zub and Norris, bad coaching decisions and weak defense. Still not worried for us in net. Might not be Stanley Cup caliber but with another top 4 Dman and less injuries this team is seriously battling for a playoff spot at the least.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad