Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I don't think we'll need to do anything... We just saved MAJOR money on White and Murray salaries...

Even with $5,125,000 in DEAD CAP HIT (lol?), we are still BELOW the cap floor right now with 22 M$ in cap space

Norris will be expensive but Formenton and Brannstrom will most likely be bridged and Joseph might get something like a 4 years contract (can't go too long term on support players), shouldn't be expensive too

Hamonic's money comes off the books next season, which will pay Zub's 1st year extension easily. If we acquire another forward via UFA (Giroux?), it won't be too long term so we will also be able to pay other future raises down the road like Pinto, Greig and Sanderson

We might have to trade a star player down the road but hey good problem to have, but as of now, our salary cap will be very manageable for years, as long as we don't throw money into Murray/White/Zaitsev contracts anymore
The big advantage the Senators have right now is that they have no players in the $10 million plus range. May not seem like much but the extra couple of million saved on your best players can make the difference in getting you quality guys further down the lineup. And going forward it will be hard for a guy like Stutzle to ask for $11 million per when Brady and Chabot are making $8 so their salary structure could be set up well for the next 5 years.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not sure how I feel about this. I thought Gus played pretty well for us last year, and was on track for becoming a starter or 1B soon. He had a few sloppy games, but we also have an incredibly weak team when it comes to defense, and we can't expect any goalie to perform miracles out there.

But, Talbot is a decent goalie, and his cap hit is decent, as well. I do like Soogard, but I'm not sure if he'll be ready for backup duties a year form now when Talbot's contract ends.

We really need to prioritize getting a solid defensive defenseman on the roster (RD, of course). Even if it means losing out on Giroux.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not sure how I feel about this. I thought Gus played pretty well for us last year, and was on track for becoming a starter or 1B soon. He had a few sloppy games, but we also have an incredibly weak team when it comes to defense, and we can't expect any goalie to perform miracles out there.

But, Talbot is a decent goalie, and his cap hit is decent, as well. I do like Soogard, but I'm not sure if he'll be ready for backup duties a year form now when Talbot's contract ends.

We really need to prioritize getting a solid defensive defenseman on the roster (RD, of course). Even if it means losing out on Giroux.
Who?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This seems like a short-term win but has the potential to be a long-term loss if Gustavsson plays up to his potential.

Same with the Murray trade, it is a good move to rid ourselves of what we think is a bad contract presently, but if Murray pulls himself together and one of those two picks ends up an NHL'er, then no doubt this trade will be looked at as a loss in hindsight too.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Is Gustavsson any good?
Don't look at last year's stats. Matt Murray ruined his year with either being hurt, or being in Belleville, and when Murray was ok, Filip had to sit in the pressbox. And then Forsberg got hot...impossible situation where he could not even get any consistent games anywhere. Not in Belleville or in Ottawa.

The year before he was incredible and forced the Senators to protect him instead of a very good Joey Daccord. You guys picked up a very technically sound, calm goalie

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just spoke with my Mom. She is 64 and never watched a hockey game in her life. She just asked me if I am happy that Giroux is a Senator
Unfortunately, it's Damien Giroux, the AHL minor leaguer.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This seems like a short-term win but has the potential to be a long-term loss if Gustavsson plays up to his potential.

Same with the Murray trade, it is a good move to rid ourselves of what we think is a bad contract presently, but if Murray pulls himself together and one of those two picks ends up an NHL'er, then no doubt this trade will be looked at as a loss in hindsight too.
And if we had kept Murray and Gus, and they repeated last season we’d be screwed.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
f***ing awesome! Way more confident with a Talbot/Forsberg tandem than Forsberg/Gus.

Let's f***ing go, rebuild over. Sign Giroux, get a top-4 d and call it a day.

I guess we still have Sogaard and Merilainen as young goalies but I dislike trading Gus for what is basically an old backup.

Talbot started 49 games last year for a playoff team, how is that an old backup?

Last edited:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

I don't think that's quite fair on the Murray part of your comment. You judge trades when they happen. Right now, overwhelmingly the Murray trade was a great move and if, by some slim chance, he pans out and exceeds the value of what we did with the cash we freed up, then you accept that lightning can in fact strike when you're not expecting it and you move on. I don't think you can say the trade was an L thanks to hindsight when overwhelmingly the jury is out.

You can say the Leafs won if that lightning does strike, but that doesn't have to mean the SENS lost.

With Gustavson yes, right now consensus is that its a bit of a coin flip and we opted to bet against him in a sense. If he pans out into a starter, fair enough you can say we lost that portion of the trade.

Reactions: JD1 and The Expert

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I’ll admit to liking Gus.

There was a period of time where he looked like our best goalie and it wasn’t that long ago.

For a big guy, he’s very controlled and efficient in his movements and moved very smoothly around the crease.
Not sure I would call Gus a big guy, unless you mean in comparison to your average office worker. 6'2, 185 is closer to below average for a goalie these days than above average.

Reactions: JD1

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Simply put Forsberg/Talbot gives us the best chance of making the playoffs.

/thread

I really, really like Gus. I believe he can be upper echelon starter in few years, but Forsberg/Talbot gives us possible top 15 goaltending tandem in the NHL this year and makes it at worst a medicore tandem to have in net. It is a move to ensure we are for sure a better team in net for next year, and a move that indicates Sens brass believe someone in system is better for the future, or similar, to Gus.

Terrific move. Sens now have possible top 10 forward group, top half D (if we acquire top 4), and a top half goaltending duo. Sens are a significantly better team now than yesterday.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I am fairly sure Gus will go on to have a good career and be a viable goalie in the league for years. He has all the tools to be stellar, he just needs to get his head in the right place.

That being said, I think this is the right trade to make for where this team is. Gus is still 2-3 years away from his full potential, and we just couldn't risk going into the season with Forsberg / Gus

Reactions: Emrasie and DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
In the context of this short window of contention (not exactly FYOUS but maybe OYOUS while we have DeBrincat, Zub, Brown, Hamonic and Talbot?), this deal makes a lot of sense. We're converting potential into short term stability. Provides insurance in case Forsberg goes the way of Condon and Hamburglar.

I liked Gus, and I was hoping he'd turn into a solid #1 goalie to salvage the chain of trades that started with Ziba. Maybe Sogaard will be that (drafted with one of the picks we got in that Brassard for Gus trade).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I like Gus but don’t see him as a starter. Probably a decent backup but we have better in Sogaard and comparable in mando and merilainen. Maybe even the new guy Reidler.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hate this deal personally. Gustavsson is probably a better player right now and they burned 2.5 million. Don't even know if they have room for a d man. Forget about Giroux and a d.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad