Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
This is making a window to compete. All the moves are. They aren't bad moves. Gambles about certain things..yes. For at least a few years Dorion may have pushed the Sens into a spot to do damage in the playoffs. May have. Top 4 RD added and things get better. What if G signs here, Brown gets us a younger version of himself, get...Deslaurier to replace Watson. I have never been on the "build a roster with players we haven't drafted, signed or traded for yet" players, but this is getting nutz and I won't dismiss anything.
Ya I already said I'm not angry or anything I wasn't trying to start a Dorion revolt I am letting the man work. Just was saying I hope Gus doesn't come back to bite us for 1 season of Talbot.

Reactions: OD99

R2010

May 23, 2011
I mean...possibly, but you don't start making smart, calculated moves like this out of the blue. I always assumed Melnyk was playing around, but this almost cements it.

Murray was a hit or miss GM dealing with Melnyk's intrusiveness. Goes to show how even a legend can have difficulties dealing with him.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
He played Game 6 in the playoffs. Minnesota decided to start Fleury over him even though Talbot got them to the playoffs.

I assumed he had a rough 1st game and lost his spot to Fleury, but I just wanted to post the stats because it's clear that he got the Wild to the post season and it's comforting to know we have that opposed to going in with Forsberg/Gus as a combo.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
At Talbot's age & depending on how he plays he could re-sign for another yr.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
To be fair, it’s the opposition’s fault for always shooting there.
I just prefer a goalie who has a weakness for wrap arounds but solid everywhere else vs a goalie who couldn't catch a beach ball. All jokes aside Anderson was actually decent last season and he's like 86 years old.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I just prefer a goalie who has a weakness for wrap arounds but solid everywhere else vs a goalie who couldn't catch a beach ball. All jokes aside Anderson was actually decent last season and he's like 86 years old.

Yeah, no as weaknesses go it could be worse.

Anderson is probably the best all-around goalie we’ve had when you factor in longevity, peak play, playoff performances, etc.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah, no as weaknesses go it could be worse.

Anderson is probably the best all-around goalie we’ve had when you factor in longevity, peak play, playoff performances, etc.
Without a doubt the guy was an absolute beast for us. We never rostered an amazing D roster in front of him. He always showed up and saved our asses. I have nothing but love and respect for Craig.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
You're reading into something that isn't there.

Dorion has had a heck of an off-season so far but let's not pretend he was some puppet and Melnyk was pulling his strings the whole time.

Don't let him off the hook for his terrible past moves. I'm hopeful that as he gets more experience he's improving.
Sure but this is literally the flip of a switch. It has me thinking that maybe my NHL dreams aren't over and if I keep training it will just happen overnight!! 🙂

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Love the move. Talbot and Forsberg as 1A/1B. I like Gus’ potential but he wasn’t ready to be a backup on a team trying to make the playoffs and the org has Sogood penciled in as a future 1. Why Dubas didn’t make a move for Talbot instead of Murray who knows.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Love the move. Talbot and Forsberg as 1A/1B. I like Gus’ potential but he wasn’t ready to be a backup on a team trying to make the playoffs and the org has Sogood penciled in as a future 1. Why Dubas didn’t make a move for Talbot instead of Murray who knows.
I definitely don't mind adding Talbot. I preferred Reimer just because Leaf fans tears when we beat them with Reimer would be amazing.

Reactions: Deku and Yak

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am glad others like this trade but I was pretty satisfied with a Forsberg/Gustavsson tandem to start the season.
Same. Pretty disappointed, but obviously Senators are serious about next year. That is a pretty damn reliable goalie tandem

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I really like Gus, especially his ability to track the puck through traffic. But for some reason, there are stretches where he just forgets how to make saves. If the Sens determined that he was passed on the depth chart by the other young studs, then this move for an extremely underrated goaltender is great.

Summer of Pierre continues.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I'm happy with this move. I started to doubt the team's position on Gus after Bruce mentioned they might be active in free agency looking for a goalie. This gives us a solid pair for a year and brings the young guys another year closer to the NHL.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I said this in the General thread but feel like it might be more appropriate here given the general turned into a pissing match.

Talbot went into the year expecting to the be work horse for Minnesota and seemed to be upset by the MAF signing. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the same expecting after the trade to Ottawa. Talbot can be a good goaltender. He'll stop the shots he's supposed to, but he rarely comes up saves that are spectacular.

We wore down for us about mid season (IMHO), when Fleury took a stretch of games Talbot came back to his usual form. Unsure how the time share will be split in Ottawa but I wouldn't rely on him to be the workhorse.

Reactions: Dionysus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I said this in the General thread but feel like it might be more appropriate here given the general turned into a pissing match.

Talbot went into the year expecting to the be work horse for Minnesota and seemed to be upset by the MAF signing. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the same expecting after the trade to Ottawa. Talbot can be a good goaltender. He'll stop the shots he's supposed to, but he rarely comes up saves that are spectacular.

We wore down for us about mid season (IMHO), when Fleury took a stretch of games Talbot came back to his usual form. Unsure how the time share will be split in Ottawa but I wouldn't rely on him to be the workhorse.
They'll play whoever is playing well and spell them when needed until they don't play well.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019

Interesting, this has to be one of the more profound first impressions I have seen yet from a player joining the Sens. Knows about the young core, knows about players drafted, knows about the cap space and our target in near future.

Compare that to DeBrincet's 'yeah, I know they got some good young players'.

Like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad