Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Interesting, this has to be one of the more profound first impressions I have seen yet from a player joining the Sens. Knows about the young core, knows about players drafted, knows about the cap space and our target in near future.

Compare that to DeBrusk's 'yeah, I know they got some good young players'.

Like it.
I think it's more like one was not expecting to be traded and one knew he was going to go and was already talking with his agent

Reactions: DrEasy

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I said this in the General thread but feel like it might be more appropriate here given the general turned into a pissing match.

Talbot went into the year expecting to the be work horse for Minnesota and seemed to be upset by the MAF signing. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the same expecting after the trade to Ottawa. Talbot can be a good goaltender. He'll stop the shots he's supposed to, but he rarely comes up saves that are spectacular.

We wore down for us about mid season (IMHO), when Fleury took a stretch of games Talbot came back to his usual form. Unsure how the time share will be split in Ottawa but I wouldn't rely on him to be the workhorse.

I'm sure you know what you're saying but 49 games sounds like he was the work horse that got upgraded on midway through. If he can start/backup more than 27 games this year he would have worked more for his pay than Murray.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Nice surprise for when I got off the golf course. The more I think about the more I like it. I didn't necessarily want to give up on Gus so quick, but he isn't NHL ready and Sogaard is our too goalie prospect. Talbot is a significant improvement for this year and gives us more security in goal as Forsberg's sample size on being good isn't huge.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Ya I already said I'm not angry or anything I wasn't trying to start a Dorion revolt I am letting the man work. Just was saying I hope Gus doesn't come back to bite us for 1 season of Talbot.
I hope the 7th we gave to TO to take MM doesn't bite us. Lol

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I still didn't really know what we had in Gus so I don't have many feeling about this one. I do feel more comfortable with Forsberg/Talbot as a tandem though short term. Hopefully they can develop one of the younger tenders as we haven't faired out well with young goalies in the system lately.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, at least not the worst timing for being stuck in my basement because of Covid with so many things happening!

I like this move, Gustavsson should have a decent career but Talbot brings the experience we sorely lack in nets. Talbot/Forsberg should be a solid duo and with Sogaard and other prospects, we still have a strong pipeline.

Talbot is only owed 3 M$ this year and he's close to "home" so could maybe re-sign for another season after that if things go well

Talbot has been legit the last few years. Not convinced he's going to be the "backup" I think we're going to be very close to a 50/50 split.

Actually, he has pretty good numbers outside of 1 season in 2018-19

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dorion is on fire. Gets rid of Murray without significant assets, picks up Talbot all within 24 hours to upgrade his Goaltending.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Well, at least not the worst timing for being stuck in my basement because of Covid with so many things happening!

I like this move, Gustavsson should have a decent career but Talbot brings the experience we sorely lack in nets. Talbot/Forsberg should be a solid duo and with Sogaard and other prospects, we still have a strong pipeline.

Talbot is only owed 3 M$ this year and he's close to "home" so could maybe re-sign for another season after that if things go well

Actually, he has pretty good numbers outside of 1 season in 2018-19
Wishing you a speedy recovery X

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I like this trade. Forsberg and Gus would be a big gamble . Gustavsson has confidence concerns for me I hope he has a good career.

Talbot is still in his goalie prime and experienced one of Talbot or Forsberg should be going just make sure to run the hot hand

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Maybe we bridge Norris then? Keep the cap hit low while lessening the term?

I don't think we'll need to do anything... We just saved MAJOR money on White and Murray salaries...

Even with $5,125,000 in DEAD CAP HIT (lol?), we are still BELOW the cap floor right now with 22 M$ in cap space

Norris will be expensive but Formenton and Brannstrom will most likely be bridged and Joseph might get something like a 4 years contract (can't go too long term on support players), shouldn't be expensive too

Hamonic's money comes off the books next season, which will pay Zub's 1st year extension easily. If we acquire another forward via UFA (Giroux?), it won't be too long term so we will also be able to pay other future raises down the road like Pinto, Greig and Sanderson

We might have to trade a star player down the road but hey good problem to have, but as of now, our salary cap will be very manageable for years, as long as we don't throw money into Murray/White/Zaitsev contracts anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: Emrasie and DrEasy

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I don't think we'll need to do anything... We just saved MAJOR money on White and Murray salaries...

Even with $5,125,000 in DEAD CAP HIT (lol?), we are still BELOW the cap floor right now with 22 M$ in cap space

Norris will be expensive but Formenton and Brannstrom will most likely be bridged and Joseph might get something like a 4 years contract (can't go too long term on support players), shouldn't be expensive too

Hamonic's money comes off the books next season, which will pay Zub's 1st year extension easily. If we acquire another forward via UFA (Giroux?), it won't be too long term so we will also be able to play other future raises like Pinto, Greig and Sanderson

We might have to trade a star player down the road but hey good problem to have, but as of now, our salary cap will be very manageable for years, as long as we don't throw money into Murray/White/Zaitsev contracts anymore
Should also take into account the salary cap is going to start going up again by the time Sanderson needs a big boy deal.

Reactions: Emrasie and Xspyrit

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Love this move. Gus showed promise but stalled a little this season. Hope he finds his game for Minnesota! With Soogard who is looking studly, Merilainen and Mando as prospects, we had enough assets and depth accumulated to make this kind of trade.

Talbot/Forsberg is a super stable tandem for next year. Just need a top 4 D now and we’re looking goldennnnnn!!!

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
How's Talbot's mental toughness for a goalie? He's gonna get shellacked and needs to be a give zero fs kinda guy on Senators like Anderson was.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I like this move a lot! I know the focus the last day and a bit here has been Giroux but our two biggest question marks were #1 the defence and #2 the goaltending! This trade helps solidify our goaltending a bunch! If we can make upgrades to our defence then we can really start making some noise but I'm still of the opinion that a defence with a rookie Sanderson, Brannstrom, Holden, Hamonic, etc is NOT making the playoffs. The upgrading of our defence is key here!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Sucks to see him go, but I understand why it was made. Should be a good battle between Forsberg and Talbot to see who gets the larger share of starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad