Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Was at the game and watched maybe 90% of the games this year. Maybe I’m drunk but.

Talbot is absolute f***ing trash, washed not a goalie that you can expect to steal you games. Tonight was a game the sens won despite of their goalie and why didn’t DJ use his time out a 4-3?

Anyways GG go sens go

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
honestly dont know who id rather have in nets, Talbot or Murray. Its close.
Actually in net? Murray for me, but he's literally never healthy, so....I don't know what the actual choice would be.

Unfortunately. Talbot sucks now - or he does for us. So...maybe he'll be better somewhere else next year.

Reactions: hn777

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don't forget they had cap issues as well. Do you think they trade him if they did not need critical cap relief?
Yes. He sucks

so easy to say in retrospect
Many people didn't like it at the time. Fireable offense. He's brutal has been since he got here constantly loses his net. Reason Guerin went out and got Fleury last year. What crazy is how obvious it is he is bad. Simple stuff, he moves terribly. Never square.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Talbot has given the team a chance to win in most games he's played, his Quality start percentage this year is comfortably over 70% which is very good (53% is generally considered good, and Forberg was around 66% last year), he hasn't stolen games, he's let in some bad goals, and granted his bad starts have been really bad, but overall he's been better than Forsberg imo.
I don't agree on any level. Teams played way better in front of Talbot. It's important to actually evaluate this way. Same thing happened with Gustavsson last year. All his starts came when the team was terrible. This team needs a new GM. Full stop.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
It's easy for me to say "well there was no way of knowing!" regarding the Gus-for-Talbot swap. But I'm also not the guy being paid boatloads of money for the explicit purpose of judging potential talent and managing assets.

And this deal really hurts in retrospect - at least right now it does. At the end of the day, we went out and traded a 24 year-old goalie, who may or may not have reached his potential, for a 35-year-old goalie who, it could be presumed, was on the downswing of his career.

This deal hurts like the Brassard deal does. I understand the logic behind the deal, but it was a gamble at the time and - arguably - a deal that didn't necessarily need to be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't agree on any level. Teams played way better in front of Talbot. It's important to actually evaluate this way. Same thing happened with Gustavsson last year. All his starts came when the team was terrible. This team needs a new GM. Full stop.
Here's the thing though, our team, last night aside, so rarely actually plays a strong defensive game, and yet Talbot still had 70% of his starts end up with a sv% above league average, so if you want to argue the team plays better in front of him, fine, I'll accept that as true, but he's still playing well enough to give the team a chance to win in 70% of his starts on a below average defensive team, thats really good, unlike his game last night which was pretty damn ugly.

Reactions: coladin and aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Here's the thing though, our team, last night aside, so rarely actually plays a strong defensive game, and yet Talbot still had 70% of his starts end up with a sv% above league average, so if you want to argue the team plays better in front of him, fine, I'll accept that as true, but he's still playing well enough to give the team a chance to win in 70% of his starts on a below average defensive team, thats really good, unlike his game last night which was pretty damn ugly.
Sometimes the eye test is more accurate than the advanced stats. I see a wildly inconsistent goalie who isn't even ECHL level one in every 4 games. How can a player be confident in that?

But if you really want to go by those numbers if 70% of his starts are above the league average but his save percentage is way below league average what does that tell you? No player at this level can be that inconsistent. Especially in net. Then add on he's been made of glass.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sometimes the eye test is more accurate than the advanced stats. I see a wildly inconsistent goalie who isn't even ECHL level one in every 4 games. How can a player be confident in that?

But if you really want to go by those numbers if 70% of his starts are above the league average but his save percentage is way below league average what does that tell you? No player at this level can be that inconsistent. Especially in net. Then add on he's been made of glass.

He's got 10 years in the league, this year is a bit of an anomaly in terms of how inconsistent he's been, but no doubt the lows have been really low, possibly health plays into that, he's getting older and that can catch up to you really fast.

I'm not suggesting we re-sign the guy to be our starter, but I also feel the criticisms have been a bit more than deserved at times. I was on board with running with Forsberg and Gus in the offseason, and for cap purposes thing Forsberg and Sogaard is likely the way to go next year, unless we can dump Forsberg for an upgrade.

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
Any time we trade a goalie away, we should ask for a 1st rounder back because these goalies (almost) always turn into #1Gs.

Talbot wasn't at his best last night. I was glad when we acquired him because he's a good goalie, but I never saw him as being our #1. His best years are behind him. Until he leaves for another team, that is. Then he becomes red hot and probably wins the cup. Against us.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Two yrs in a row where our goaltending has been a dissappoinment albeit due to injuries. On a positive note Sogaard & Ferguson have been a positive but not sure if either are the answer just yet. Sogaard could be a decent backup next yr in Ottawa, but I'm not sure that Forsberg is a #1 goalie. It's defintely a weakness that has to be addressed & upgraded at some point.

Reactions: bert and Senovision

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's got 10 years in the league, this year is a bit of an anomaly in terms of how inconsistent he's been, but no doubt the lows have been really low, possibly health plays into that, he's getting older and that can catch up to you really fast.

I'm not suggesting we re-sign the guy to be our starter, but I also feel the criticisms have been a bit more than deserved at times. I was on board with running with Forsberg and Gus in the offseason, and for cap purposes thing Forsberg and Sogaard is likely the way to go next year, unless we can dump Forsberg for an upgrade.
Are you sure? Have you watched him every game like this? I see a goalie who loses his net alot. Why did Guerin feel a need to go out and get Fleury?... I think he likely saw the same thing.

Anyway we are in agreeance. I think it would be wise for the sens to get a veteran AHL back up next year though. The injuries to the goalies have been ridiculous.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are you sure? Have you watched him every game like this? I see a goalie who loses his net alot. Why did Guerin feel a need to go out and get Fleury?... I think he likely saw the same thing.

Anyway we are in agreeance. I think it would be wise for the sens to get a veteran AHL back up next year though. The injuries to the goalies have been ridiculous.
I mean, Fleury was the reigning vezina winner so they picked him up as an upgrade for their playoff aspirations at almost no cost giving them a one two punch if either guy were to faulter.

I watched a fair bit of him with NY and EDM, though I didn't watch him as much with the wild or flames. He's always seemed like a mid tier guy to me.

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
YUPPPPPPP goal-tending is solid. 4 goals on 11 shots. Lmao. but the dman succcck and this team sucks at playing defense.

Tonight pretty much summerized this teams goal-tending this season

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
Guys complaining about Talbot

He's played 400+ games.

He's got a career .914 save percentage. Only two seasons less than .910.

He's led the league in wins

He's been to an all star game

Craig Anderson by comparison has a career save percentage of .912.
I don't care what Talbot did for other teams when hes not doing it for the Senators. Hes a big reason why the team will mostly likely miss the playoffs. If he performed anywhere close to what his career averages suggest this would be a playoffs bound team. Anderson is one of the better goalies the Senators had to this day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad