Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am still on board with Talbot sticking around. This team needs a veteran goalie. Injury plagued season and he still had a great game last night. He was an All-Star goalie last year in Minnesota. Last year. Not 5 years ago. I remain of the opinion that as this team enters a playoff window, they need an established goalie to get them there.

Hope he re-signs…and as far as I know , he is renting Nick Paul’s house.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am still on board with Talbot sticking around. This team needs a veteran goalie. Injury plagued season and he still had a great game last night. He was an All-Star goalie last year in Minnesota. Last year. Not 5 years ago. I remain of the opinion that as this team enters a playoff window, they need an established goalie to get them there.

Hope he re-signs…and as far as I know , he is renting Nick Paul’s house.
I tend to agree. At this point what is more valuable - using Talbot as an own rental so that we have a veteran goalie down the stretch, or a lousy third round pick? We are at the point in our development where stockpiling mid round picks is of limited value - we need guys who can actually play in the league to complement our emerging stars. Talbot is a guy who can actually play in the league, as he has shown.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I tend to agree. At this point what is more valuable - using Talbot as an own rental so that we have a veteran goalie down the stretch, or a lousy third round pick? We are at the point in our development where stockpiling mid round picks is of limited value - we need guys who can actually play in the league to complement our emerging stars. Talbot is a guy who can actually play in the league, as he has shown.
I just find it fascinating that people would have been fine, with the season Gus just had, and the team needing to take a step this year, with him backing up Forsberg. That is crazy to me. Instead , Dorion gets an All-Star goalie, and people are upset?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I just find it fascinating that people would have been fine, with the season Gus just had, and the team needing to take a step this year, with him backing up Forsberg. That is crazy to me. Instead , Dorion gets an All-Star goalie, and people are upset?
Well, Forsberg had a really good season last year, better sv% than Talbot by a decent margin in a similar number of starts.

Meanwhile we'd been under the premise that Gus was the goalie of the future ever since we acquired him.

The move to bring in Talbot wasn't bad in principal, it just seemed like a stopgap option that didn't move the needle all that much in a season where the expectations were progressing but still not playoffs, idk we have up future for short term gain for a year where playoffs wasn't the benchmark for success, that to me seems like an error.

It's different than acquiring DeBrincat who fits the window, or heck even rolling the dice on Murray, Talbot turning 36, he's not in it for the long haul.

Reactions: Cosmix and Yak

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Well, Forsberg had a really good season last year, better sv% than Talbot by a decent margin in a similar number of starts.

Meanwhile we'd been under the premise that Gus was the goalie of the future ever since we acquired him.

The move to bring in Talbot wasn't bad in principal, it just seemed like a stopgap option that didn't move the needle all that much in a season where the expectations were progressing but still not playoffs, idk we have up future for short term gain for a year where playoffs wasn't the benchmark for success, that to me seems like an error.

It's different than acquiring DeBrincat who fits the window, or heck even rolling the dice on Murray, Talbot turning 36, he's not in it for the long haul.
Yeah, clearly he didn’t have the season he expected , or the fans expected . Injuries and such. I think that Sogaard and Merilainen has passed him which made him expendable.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Trade him, win the cup with a rookie Sogaard and let him begin his HoF Patrick Roy like career.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't really disagree with most of your post, but I have to nitpick on the 2nd goal.

Looked like he was cheating, anticipating the pass, but technically he should have never come off his post. There shouldn't have been space to score short side. I was watching the Red Wings feed and the commentator made a similar note. Hamonic should probably do something other than try and play goalie on that play, but if Talbot stays where he's "supposed" to be the puck doesn't go in.

All that said, in Talbot fashion, he gave one up that he probably shouldn't of and then settled down to play a solid game. I feel like he's good for one or two of these brain farts/game, but as you alluded to he's still an average NHL goalie so he ends up regressing to the middle a little bit.

Looked at it again and yeah he could have cut his angles a bit better by coming out of the net a little bit more or cheating short side. It's not a bad goal but a save you want your goalie to make

And yeah Hamonic played a part too, often I have D-men being the screen themselves, from that position indicate the shooter that you're taking away the pass and force him to shoot. If I know the shot is coming and I see the initial angle, it will be much easier to make the save

Neither guy is a starter in this league and that's just the way it is. They can both be complimentary pieces on a good team.

Forsberg was the 10th best goalie last season and Talbot was the starter on a pretty good team.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Blessing in disguise . If he played well you know Pierre was gonna extend him for 3 years lol.

Need to get an actual goalie this offseason

Who can we get instead and actually afford?

We re-sign all our RFAs and we pretty much have no money left over. Would likely have to dump Joseph to even be able to sign a goalie in the 2-3M range.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Out 3 weeks
Oof. Disappointing, but hardly surprising. This is Talbot's third major injury this season that has cost him time. At 35, he is now officially wearing the "injury prone" tag, a tag that is going to cost him millions this summer.

He has likely played his last game for us - three to four weeks from now we're either in the thick of the race, with Sogaard leading the way, or playing out the string in which case they might as well play the young guys. Talbot's only reason for playing was to be the veteran presence down the stretch, a stretch drive he will now spend nursing a "middle body injury".

It is highly unlikely that we could find a free agent on the scrap heap that would be anything but an emergency filler. Might as well saddle up with the young guys and see what happens...

Reactions: ksens and ColinM

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Oof. Disappointing, but hardly surprising. This is Talbot's third major injury this season that has cost him time. At 35, he is now officially wearing the "injury prone" tag, a tag that is going to cost him millions this summer.

He has likely played his last game for us - three to four weeks from now we're either in the thick of the race, with Sogaard leading the way, or playing out the string in which case they might as well play the young guys. Talbot's only reason for playing was to be the veteran presence down the stretch, a stretch drive he will now spend nursing a "middle body injury".

It is highly unlikely that we could find a free agent on the scrap heap that would be anything but an emergency filler. Might as well saddle up with the young guys and see what happens...

Bingo. At worst Sogaard will show us if he is really NHL Ready

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
Any team losing their top two goalies is going to be in a rough position. Two rookie goalies isn’t going to end well

Reactions: ColinM

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Who can we get instead and actually afford?

We re-sign all our RFAs and we pretty much have no money left over. Would likely have to dump Joseph to even be able to sign a goalie in the 2-3M range.

Gotta be creative for sure. losing Joseph to upgrade goal might be a good move. We also still do not know how much the cap is actually gonna go up by next season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Any team losing their top two goalies is going to be in a rough position. Two rookie goalies isn’t going to end well
When Talbot is the alternative I'm fine with it. He's awful.

Gotta be creative for sure. losing Joseph to upgrade goal might be a good move. We also still do not know how much the cap is actually gonna go up by next season.
This team needs Joseph's speed. They need another guy like him if anything.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Honestly don't think Talbot will get too much in FA. If he descides to sign here again I think he can be had for cheap. If he takes a $1.5-2 million deal, I'd take a flyer on him. His injuries are going to cost him a contract that he may have thoguht he could get

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Talbot's .905 SV% isn't terrible considering what a tire fire our defense was for most of the year, but I'm concerned with how he's been trending in 2023.

Definitely hasn't looked as good in 2023 as he did in the first couple months of the season, and he's going to be 36 this summer.

I'd would explore options like Francouz, DeSmith, Lankinen, Hill, Korpisalo, etc... guys that are signed for cheap or shouldn't cost a ton to split starts with Forsberg.

Reactions: bicboi64

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Talbot's .905 SV% isn't terrible considering what a tire fire our defense was for most of the year, but I'm concerned with how he's been trending in 2023.

Definitely hasn't looked as good in 2023 as he did in the first couple months of the season, and he's going to be 36 this summer.

I'd would explore options like Francouz, DeSmith, Lankinen, Hill, Korpisalo, etc... guys that are signed for cheap or shouldn't cost a ton to split starts with Forsberg.

Lankinen extended for another year in Nashvillea few days ago.

Probably could be had for the right price though. He would have been my free agent target anyway.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
You can still trade for players as long as they don’t play in the playoffs right? Maybe help Chicago’s tank and take Stalock of their hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad