Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I just find it fascinating that people would have been fine, with the season Gus just had, and the team needing to take a step this year, with him backing up Forsberg. That is crazy to me. Instead , Dorion gets an All-Star goalie, and people are upset?
I wanted to upgrade Forsberg and have Gus as the backup

I still don't think Forsberg nor Talbot are the answer

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
Ugh I know hindsight is 20x20 but ugghhh.

And I'm fully guilty of discounting Gus.

Old goalies are ugghh too.

Except Craig Anderson, obviously he's... uh huh😏?

• Haha
Reactions: Puikiou

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wanted to upgrade Forsberg and have Gus as the backup

I still don't think Forsberg nor Talbot are the answer
I take a bit of an issue with the constant identifying of Talbot as an All-star goalie, I mean, it's technically accurate but the implication is he was one of the best goalies last year which isn't really close to true.

He was 17th is sv% among starters. That's not bad, but it's not what you think of when you say Allstar goalie.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I take a bit of an issue with the constant identifying of Talbot as an All-star goalie, I mean, it's technically accurate but the implication is he was one of the best goalies last year which isn't really close to true.

He was 17th is sv% among starters. That's not bad, but it's not what you think of when you say Allstar goalie.
Bingo. If he was good they wouldnt have gone out and traded for Fleury then decided on Fleury over him. Horrible pro scouting in this instance. Especially when you actually watch Talbot and Gustavsson. One is leaps and bounds ahead from a technical and athletic standpoint.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bingo. If he was good they wouldnt have gone out and traded for Fleury then decided on Fleury over him. Horrible pro scouting in this instance. Especially when you actually watch Talbot and Gustavsson. One is leaps and bounds ahead from a technical and athletic standpoint.
I mean, he's not as terrible as some say, he's a pretty average starter imo. Nothing to write home about, but he shouldn't sink your season.

I wouldn't have traded Gus for him, but I'd have been happy to have him over Forsberg as our starter and add picks or something to balance the trade.

Reactions: Cosmix

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

But maybe hearing "all-star" was the extent of our pro scouting...

Reactions: Senator Stanley

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean, he's not as terrible as some say, he's a pretty average starter imo. Nothing to write home about, but he shouldn't sink your season.

I wouldn't have traded Gus for him, but I'd have been happy to have him over Forsberg as our starter and add picks or something to balance the trade.
Forsberg is much better. Moves way better doesn't let in nearly as many stinkers. Talbot has had some doozies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well, he hasn't been much better this season, though he was last year. Forsberg seems really streaky to me, probably why he's a 30 yr old journeyman backup.
The team has played alot better in front of Talbot. Talbots been the definition of all or nothing this year.

Much like they played better in front of Forsberg and Murray than Gustavsson last year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The team has played alot better in front of Talbot. Talbots been the definition of all or nothing this year.

Much like they played better in front of Forsberg and Murray than Gustavsson last year.
Talbot has given the team a chance to win in most games he's played, his Quality start percentage this year is comfortably over 70% which is very good (53% is generally considered good, and Forberg was around 66% last year), he hasn't stolen games, he's let in some bad goals, and granted his bad starts have been really bad, but overall he's been better than Forsberg imo.

Reactions: aragorn

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I think about a funny theory. I was at the Columbus game when he was hurt. He end the game and seem not to bad. He ( boitte ) just a little bit

He make the morning skate in Chicago. I wonder if a player reach to DJ and said we are not better to give him a day off. Talbot heard that and said alright, I have not a contract for next year. I gonna take my health more important

Bruce said Saturday or Thursday that he have nixed a two years extension in December. DJ said Saturday we probably not gonna see him for the rest of the year

Something happened in this locker room in the west travel no doubt

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Talbot's problem isn't that he isn't good, he has been when he's healthy for the most part but like Murray last yr he has been injury prone all season. While Forsberg has been good too he has also had some stinker games & been hurt & is now out with injury for the season. If both were still healthy this team might have been much better & in the playoffs, but both have missed a lot of games & now when it's most critical to win & pick up pts both are out. And we have had to try & win games with AHL goalies who have had around 3 games of NHL experience between them, that's a very tough ask.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Guys complaining about Talbot

He's played 400+ games.

He's got a career .914 save percentage. Only two seasons less than .910.

He's led the league in wins

He's been to an all star game

Craig Anderson by comparison has a career save percentage of .912.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Don't forget they had cap issues as well. Do you think they trade him if they did not need critical cap relief?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad