Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Very very disappointing imo. Gave up Gus for him. I get the rationale but that move backfired unfortunately.
77 games in maybe 6 pts out of the last WC spot. If this guy performed as expected when we made that trade maybe we are a little closer. A little better start in the first couple months its not hard to think we are in that spot. And that is with the poor production 5v5, all the injuries and our putrid depth in the bottom 6 and on D until we got Chychrun.

Talbot is 53 in the league with .4 goals saved above expected. Craig Anderson is 1 . Alex Stalock is 1.9. Anton Forsberg is 8.1

If Talbot performed at Forsberg's level .. that could be a couple more wins.

The Wild are a better defensive team if that factors in Gus is 24.4

Reactions: DrEasy and Yak

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Very very disappointing imo. Gave up Gus for him. I get the rationale but that move backfired unfortunately.
77 games in maybe 6 pts out of the last WC spot. If this guy performed as expected when we made that trade maybe we are a little closer. A little better start in the first couple months its not hard to think we are in that spot. And that is with the poor production 5v5, all the injuries and our putrid depth in the bottom 6 and on D until we got Chychrun.

Talbot is 53 in the league with .4 goals saved above expected. Craig Anderson is 1 . Alex Stalock is 1.9. Anton Forsberg is 8.1

The funny thing about that chart is that Matt Murray had one game where he was + 5 in expected goals yet he is only +2.3 for the season. :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Seems like he's been pretty average by that metric. 100 goalies, he's 53rd. Flip it to min 25 games and per 60, he's 28 out of 49. Ahead of Demko, Jarry, Gibson...

He's incredibly inconsistent, and been hurt too often, I'd move on,

As an aside, check out Riemer on that list, I got a chuckle.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't care what Talbot did for other teams when hes not doing it for the Senators. Hes a big reason why the team will mostly likely miss the playoffs. If he performed anywhere close to what his career averages suggest this would be a playoffs bound team. Anderson is one of the better goalies the Senators had to this day.
Why have so many teams given up on him if he is so good. I'll tell you why the same reason he has been brutal here. Inconsistent. Bad positionally.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Tried his best to lose the game
Sandstrom outsmart him lol

Good riddance he didnt take the extension

Just roll with Soggard Forsberg and add a 1-2 MM$ 2nd backup like Anderson or Korpisallo kind of guy

We have no money for another goalie

We tried a veteran ($) and it backfired

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Goaltending has always been an Achilles heel for this team.

As someone mentioned previously, Sens have drafted 24 goalies since 1992 and none of them have really panned out, for Ottawa. Brian Elliott is the best of the bunch with 278 career wins, with only 59 of those wins being with Ottawa. Past that, you have Emery and Lehner and then a couple that were decent at the time in Prusek and Hurme. Sogaard shows promise as does Merilainen. Hopefully one or both pans out.

We have tried on a number of occasions to trade/sign an established "Number 1" (Barrasso, Gerber, Hasek, Murray, Talbot, etc.) but with the exception of maybe Lalime and Anderson, who were both really back-up goalies that panned out, we have not had much luck finding a Goalie in the last 30 years.

I think it is time to just give Forsberg and Sogaard the net next year and see what happens.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I’m glad Big Bruce said this guy won’t be back. We need an overhaul and upgrade in G

Outside of coaching it’s our biggest problem

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How is coaching still a problem? Our defence finally looks like it's going to be solid moving forward into next yr with Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun, Zub, Hamonic, Brannstrom & potentially Kleven & JBD. Ottawa has two really good top six lines, a great PP & PK & they are a very good forecheck & transition team. They should also be able to put together a decent 3rd line next season too if everyone is healthy coming out of training camp.

Their problem has been their youth & making young player mistakes which have coast them games, they seem to be slowly reducing their mistakes. Goaltending has been another huge issue all yr with injuries & poor play at times & great play at other times. The players play the game not the coaches & the coaches also don't play in net. Now that they finally have some decent players the team is playing really well under this coaching staff. Whether these guys are able to take this team to a cup remains to be seen, but the team has certainly gotten better under them which I think means they won't be getting fired unless the new regime has their own guys in mind when they purchase the team. If they play like this next yr to start the season I don't see the coaching staff leaving & they will get an opportunity to see what they can do in the playoffs. They will certainly need to be in the playoff race all yr next yr otherwise if it looks like they are faltering they could be replaced sooner rather than later.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's almost like the Murray situation again.

Played OK at times but injured too often, too inconsistent and feels like it's time to move on.
We’re not looking to win a cup next year, we have all other main holes filled on the roster, we have a possible solid tandem of Forzy and Soggy already sorted, I see no reason not to run with them and get a good long look to see what we have, especially in a year where we have a cap pinch and no extra money to spend.

I think that tandem should be at worst adequate for us to do our thing. At best we get to see Soggy become excellent, and we also get to keep him!

Reactions: NB613

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
We’re not looking to win a cup next year, we have all other main holes filled on the roster, we have a possible solid tandem of Forzy and Soggy already sorted, I see no reason not to run with them and get a good long look to see what we have, especially in a year where we have a cap pinch and no extra money to spend.

I think that tandem should be at worst adequate for us to do our thing. At best we get to see Soggy become excellent, and we also get to keep him!

We are looking to win a cup every year which is precisely why Talbot should be sent packing.

Reactions: NB613 and Loach

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
Why have so many teams given up on him if he is so good. I'll tell you why the same reason he has been brutal here. Inconsistent. Bad positionally.
what teams have really given up on him ? I don't excactly follow his career , but as far as I can tell he was traded from florida because they had Vokoun and Anderson was due to be a starter and truth be told Vokoun was a better goalie. It happens sometimes when a team has two good goalies. He was great in Colorado for a season and then was traded to Ottawa, he wasn't having aa good season but neither of Colorado's goalies that year did. and no one here is proclaiming that hes Dominik Hasek. He wasn't elite but he was never the reason why the team wasn't good or cost the team key games every time he played in one in fact he actually stood on his head in more of then not. Ottawa gave up on him after 10 years of being the teams number one goalie.

Or are you suggesting the last 3 years should be taken seriously and accounted for to the list of teams that "given up on" him ? because I am pretty sure its more like he has not "given up on him self and playing"The guy is like 41 years old and still playing at the highest level of hockey possible. I think that alone is a testament that hes actually a good goalie or that teams keep giving him contracts.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If he was ten years younger then consider bringing him back. Under these circumstances….no way.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What we need, is more patience with our young netminders. Progress definitely isn't linear with goalies, and the minute a young kid has a poor month, the team gives up on him and starts looking for something better.

We also have to acknowledge, the way this team plays, and our system aslso makes things hard on goalies. Having forwards constantly cheat up the ice and poor breakouts leave out guys hanging a lot. That leads to more ugly looking goals, and a lot more effort to make saves (and thus injuries!).

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What we need, is more patience with our young netminders. Progress definitely isn't linear with goalies, and the minute a young kid has a poor month, the team gives up on him and starts looking for something better.

We also have to acknowledge, the way this team plays, and our system aslso makes things hard on goalies. Having forwards constantly cheat up the ice and poor breakouts leave out guys hanging a lot. That leads to more ugly looking goals, and a lot more effort to make saves (and thus injuries!).
Yes we need more patience with our young goaltenders.

I watched a video showing how Washington plays defence; they used a man to man defence in their D zone with very tight checking. The Senators seem to use a zone defence; our Fs do not cover specific opponent players and instead congregate in the slot watching the puck carrier. The Ws blow the zone if our D have the puck or might get to the puck before an opponent.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes we need more patience with our young goaltenders.

I watched a video showing how Washington plays defence; they used a man to man defence in their D zone with very tight checking. The Senators seem to use a zone defence; our Fs do not cover specific opponent players and instead congregate in the slot watching the puck carrier. The Ws blow the zone if our D have the puck or might get to the puck before an opponent.
Maybe that has something to do with Washington being a veteran team while the Sens are a young team. I know coaching young players that it's much easier to teach them to defend a zone rather them trying to teach them the fundamentals of man to man coverage. You also have to have 5 good players on the ice to defend that way otherwise as soon as one guy gets beat everyone else has to know to sag back towards the net to cover for them & we know that good players sooner or later will beat their coverage.

It's one of the reasons good offensive teams try to spread their players out to open up ice for their better players to beat their defender. Zone defence covers a good portion of the ice in front of the net while man on man attacks the puck carrier trying to use their strength & stick to create turnovers. I think all teams will use a combination of both given how much tape there is on all teams, you can't do the same thing all the time without it getting stale & easy to find holes where there are weaknesses. It's constantly & ever changing systems depending on the team you play & what their strengths & weaknesses are & tweaking where necessary.

Reactions: Cosmix

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
It tells you all you need to know, with the season on the line, DJ decided it was better to start a sick 22yr old rookie who could finish the game over Talbot. He's gone.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Thank god Talbot turned down the contract extension. Sens were insane for offering it.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. We replaced one always-injured goalie (Murray) for another (Talbot).

Just go with Forsberg and the kids next season.

Look how not wanting to go with a kid (Gus) went this year. One of the worst trades in Senators history.

Reactions: Que and Alex1234

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Thank god Talbot turned down the contract extension. Sens were insane for offering it.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. We replaced one always-injured goalie (Murray) for another (Talbot).

Just go with Forsberg and the kids next season.

Look how not wanting to go with a kid (Gus) went this year. One of the worst trades in Senators history.
Soogard isn't close to being ready. They need someone who's played the league for awhile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad