Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Unbelievable Dorion offered him an extension.

This guy is an absolute idiot. Thank god he turned it down.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Monday morning general managers talking tough from the sidelines as usual.

There was a stretch back a couple months ago when Talbot was red hot and the entire fan base was screaming to extend him. But of course that wasn't you. You knew all along.
Talbot has looked shaky for the entire season, even during his best play he didn't look like a goalie who could steal a game for us. You don't believe I thought this all year, then have a look at my post history. Talbot was a terrible trade. He's been injury prone and inconsistent. I am not interested in signing a player who never really showed us his top-end once during his time here. I look forward to him leaving of being traded.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

There was a stretch back a couple months ago when Talbot was red hot and the entire fan base was screaming to extend him. But of course that wasn't you. You knew all along.
2 games stretch?

The entire fanbase?
Really?
Where can I read about this?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I think all that Grateful Dead heading has messed with your perception of reality.

Talbot hasn't been red hot since he arrived here. I would say a good portion of the fan base didn't agree with the trade to begin with based on what we gave up, Talbot's career and the fact he last played for a defensive team.

Reactions: Alex1234 and Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Nope never liked the deal I have been defending Gus for the better part of two years. Nothing better than you and your petty content whenever someone else has an accurate but different opinion.

Hate this deal personally. Gustavsson is probably a better player right now and they burned 2.5 million. Don't even know if they have room for a d man. Forget about Giroux and a d.

So do you care to apologize or are you going to disappear.

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Talbot shouldn't play the rest of the season.
His last 2 games tell me he's checked out.
Playoffs are not part of the decision.
Talbot won't be back.
Park the egos on the acquisition.
Play the prospects to close out the year.
IMO

Reminds me of the TLC hit from the late 90s, no I don't want no scrubs.

Talbot is scrub at this point, paste him to the pine along with Watson, Gauthier, Gambrell, Holden et. al. who have no future with the club.

See what you got in deserving and/or 2023-2024 waiver eligible prospects from a pool that includes Shank, Soko, Jarventie, Lassi T, and Guennette. Start Merilainnen if Sogaard can't go.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Reminds me of the TLC hit from the late 90s, no I don't want no scrubs.

Talbot is scrub at this point, paste him to the pine along with Watson, Gauthier, Gambrell, Holden et. al. who have no future with the club.

See what you got in deserving and/or 2023-2024 waiver eligible prospects from a pool that includes Shank, Soko,

Yup they gotta get these guys up here and see what they have got at this point. Now is the time. Id rather not see Talbot ever play a game for this team again. I actually have never seen a goalie at this level this consistently be completely off his angle this often. Its crazy.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Talbot shouldn't play the rest of the season.
His last 2 games tell me he's checked out.
Playoffs are not part of the decision.
Talbot won't be back.
Park the egos on the acquisition.
Play the prospects to close out the year.
IMO
Idk if he's checked out, he might be but he definitely isn't playing his best hockey. York was talking about it today, coming off injuries at this time of year is tough because there's not as much practice time,

Everything else, I completely agree with though

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Looking at his number by month, Talbot has definitely regressed as the year has went on.

November: .918 SV% in 11 games
December: .904 SV% in 11 games
January: .882 SV% in 6 games
February: .906 SV% in 2 games
March: .859 SV% in 3 games
April: .846 SV% in 2 games

He started the year extremely well, especially considering how putrid the Sens D was to start the year (like every year under DJ), but hasn't been able to stop a beach ball in 2023.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Looking at his number by month, Talbot has definitely regressed as the year has went on.

He started the year extremely well, especially considering how putrid the Sens D was to start the year (like every year under DJ), but hasn't been able to stop a beach ball in 2023.
That is a clear decline over this season. Very interesting.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why can't this team hold onto their young goalies until they are fully developed.
Bishop, Lehner, Driedger and now Gustavsson they all flourished as soon as they left.
I expect them to trade Sogaard and Merilainen when they are 23/24 just to see them became starters somewhere else.
Need a new experienced GM!

Reactions: bert

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Nope never liked the deal I have been defending Gus for the better part of two years. Nothing better than you and your petty content whenever someone else has an accurate but different opinion.

So do you care to apologize or are you going to disappear.
I'm not apologizing for jack squat.

My post was about Talbot's hot play from Nov. to January where he had 14 wins and put the Sens back into the race. A point you clearly missed. I wasn't talking about your views on the trade back in July.

For the record, I am no fan of Talbot. His goaltending and injuries down the stretch are a major reason the Sens didn't make the playoffs. But he looked good in December and January and Dorion talking to him about an extension made sense.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
My post was about Talbot's hot play from Nov. to January where he had 14 wins and put the Sens back into the race. A point you clearly missed. I wasn't talking about your views on the trade back in July.

For the record, I am no fan of Talbot. His goaltending and injuries down the stretch are a major reason the Sens didn't make the playoffs. But he looked good in December and January and Dorion talking to him about an extension made sense.
Pretty much this. We paid a lot for Talbot considering his cap hit and management's faith in him helping our backend. I'd have been shocked if Dorion didn't talk to him about extension talks (even if I'm not a fan of Talbot, or at least his acquisition). If you give up one of your better goalie prospects for an aging goalie who you bthink is going to help you win, and he helps you win at the start of the year, what GM wouldn't offer an extension or start talks

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019

Goalies are inconsistent but he’s just been plain bad, zero excuses

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not apologizing for jack squat.

You called it Monday morning GM ing. When I had this stance from the get go. He lost his net in a bunch of games early. Never liked him at any point. So maybe before making an assumption next time take your time before calling someone out.

It never made sense because he was way too inconsistent and his defiencies were obvious. Polar opposite of Gus from a technical standpoint. Talbot is ineficient in his movements and is good for a really bad goal every couple of games.

The team played well in front of him relative to the other goalies. DJ always liked him and gave him favorable matchups. I can't remember a goalie that lost more games on his own for this organization.

Reactions: Alex1234

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Minnie just plays a better support game for their goalies. I would have preferred to run with Gus and Forsberg but I still think we would be on the outside looking in.

And their GM makes better trades - he won the Talbot trade outright and that’s why they are a playoff team and Ottawa is not

Reactions: Icelevel and bert

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Minnie just plays a better support game for their goalies. I would have preferred to run with Gus and Forsberg but I still think we would be on the outside looking in.
Hope you don’t mind a Wild fan stopping by, just wanted to share a Gus quote recently where he kind of backs up your statement, I thought it was interesting at least:

“I feel like I’ve played good. (Some) of my best hockey probably (as of) late. It’s fun to play in front of this team. It feels like they help with my weaknesses a little bit. Give up some rebounds, they’re always there. They steer the guys to the right angles for me. It’s fun to play in front of them.”

I was not a fan of Talbot’s play in MN but did hope that he would work out for you guys, I have always had a soft spot for your team.

Also in fairness, I was at Gus’ first game for us and he single-handedly lost it by giving up 3 absolute clunkers himself. It took a little time for him to acclimate and I can see why OTT management had some concerns if those were the performances he was having. With confidence though, he sure looks like a good goalie, impossible to say if he gets there in a different situation, Fleury as a mentor (and magnet for most critics) and a whole team commitment to defense can make life a lot easier mentally.

At the end of the day, you still have some good young goalies in the org and while it may sting quite a bit now, I think you will be less concerned about this trade in a few years when they have solidified their starter positions.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
If he is willing to come back for 1 more year between $1.5-$2.1M then would do it.

Full year of having 6 legit NHL defensemen plus having a new coach with an actual D system, will make him look better.

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
Matt Murray = 14 wins this season

Can Talbot = 16 wins this season

BIG UPGRADE

Only cost Gustafson, 3rd round pick, 7th round pick and $3.5 million in retained salary for 2 more wins from your starter
Ok but one player is having a "good" season and the other is having a "nightmare" of a season. I am willing to go all inn when I say if the way hes played this year was his career norm, it would be very unlikely for any team to sign him let alone as the #1.

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
I'm just bitter about the acquisition. How many goalies 35+ keep up good play as they age? Did Dorion forget that Talbot wasn't the only reason that Minny was a playoff team? The roster in front of him had more to do with their success than Talbot. Now we're in a position where we gave away a goalie who could've had a future with us for an aging goaltender who just isn't reliable, and will most likely not be here next year.
Well its tricky as these days as you see more and more pro level athletes still be effective beyond 40 years of age, something of a big rarity 15-20 years ago. That being said I have no idea how committed he is to training and making the necessary sacrifices to extend his career beyond expectations set for him. He wasn't signed to a 5 year deal and I do feel there was the expectation of him being that veteran presence and calm things calm when needed. Seems he got the wrong memo as he did pretty much a total opposite.

I did wonder the same as you in regards to his days in Minnesota and if he was a factor in them being one of the better defensive teams in the league or if the style and system of hockey the team played was a factor in masking flaws in his game that would have made noticeable difference in the teams assessment of him. His numbers in Minnesota weren't spectacular but I am also of the belief that primarly defensive minded teams are not exactly the best and most ideal scenarios for most goalies. Majority of goalies are at their best when they are active and busy; in a rhythm. Defensive teams strive on not letting such from happening. The numbers are fairly consistent for his carreer and that is why I was not worried about the signing. This team does not need elite goaltending, if they can get or find it hell yea why not, ideally something consistent in effort and stats , have the ability to be the difference if absolutely needed / might never need to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad