Player Discussion Cam Talbot (G)

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
He’s done, he’s not a NHL tender at this point . Shouldn’t be considered and need to look at the trade or FA market

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's wild how bad he can be while somehow having a pretty much a league average sv% but at the same time never stealimg any games to make up for the terrible games.

He's the worst goalie in the league 30% of the time, and while the other 70% he's above average he's never great...

GSG1165

Sep 9, 2010
Ottawa
Don't want to see him back. I hope we sign a decent vet (similar to Auld) and Soogard or Forsberg can be our guy next year.

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
go to Canadian Tire with some of that Canadian Tire Money obtained from naming the arena after the store, navigate to the "sports" isle, look for item #083-5402-6, item #083-5402-6 being a Pro-Shot Shooter Tutor currently priced at $69.99, complete purchase, hold a press conference to annouce the teams new #1 goalie , explain to the press reasons behind this move:

- cheap, only cost $69.99 plus tax, lifetime contract , more cap space for improvements
- never gets injured long term, duct tape heals all injuries within minutes
- consistent performance, d man will always know what shots will be stopped and which will go in
- ice in veins , will never fold under pressure, mental terminator
- with NHL d man in front, wont let inn 4 goals on 11 shots, or 3 on 14
- will play all back to back games ; does not get tired
- can play unlimited number of seasons

sens.jpg

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
"Cam is experienced and provides us with greater goaltending stability heading into next season," my ass

Just let him go and invest in our young guys. If Forsberg isn't ready, take a gamble on a vet for a one year deal that won't cost whatever Talbot wants.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It's wild how bad he can be while somehow having a pretty much a league average sv% but at the same time never stealimg any games to make up for the terrible games.

He's the worst goalie in the league 30% of the time, and while the other 70% he's above average he's never great...

Probably best to knockoff the extension talks

Maraz

Jan 25, 2015
Why can't this team hold onto their young goalies until they are fully developed.
Bishop, Lehner, Driedger and now Gustavsson they all flourished as soon as they left.
I expect them to trade Sogaard and Merilainen when they are 23/24 just to see them became starters somewhere else.

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
"Cam is experienced and provides us with greater goaltending stability heading into next season," my ass

Just let him go and invest in our young guys. If Forsberg isn't ready, take a gamble on a vet for a one year deal that won't cost whatever Talbot wants
Well I feel that was the general sentiment about our goal-tending at that time. I mean it only took about 65 games for people to finally accept it as being a problem.

I had no problem with the Talbot signing as his performance over the past few seasons was consistent and reliable. I put the blame equally on goaltending as a group and individuals alike only because some of the events behind the whole mess were outside anyone's control or just bad luck. How Talbot can't string together 3-4 consistent starts in a row based on his resume and all the sudden would literally have trouble stopping a beach ball remains a mystery. If he was getting peppered each start and faced 40 plus shots a night letting in 3-4 goals I would step away but hes had far too many of those games where would let in 4-5 goals on shot count of about 15.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Well I feel that was the general sentiment about our goal-tending at that time. I mean it only took about 65 games for people to finally accept it as being a problem.

I had no problem with the Talbot signing as his performance over the past few seasons was consistent and reliable. I put the blame equally on goaltending as a group and individuals alike only because some of the events behind the whole mess were outside anyone's control or just bad luck. How Talbot can't string together 3-4 consistent starts in a row based on his resume and all the sudden would literally have trouble stopping a beach ball remains a mystery. If he was getting peppered each start and faced 40 plus shots a night letting in 3-4 goals I would step away but hes had far too many of those games where would let in 4-5 goals on shot count of about 15.
I'm just bitter about the acquisition. How many goalies 35+ keep up good play as they age? Did Dorion forget that Talbot wasn't the only reason that Minny was a playoff team? The roster in front of him had more to do with their success than Talbot. Now we're in a position where we gave away a goalie who could've had a future with us for an aging goaltender who just isn't reliable, and will most likely not be here next year.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm just bitter about the acquisition. How many goalies 35+ keep up good play as they age? Did Dorion forget that Talbot wasn't the only reason that Minny was a playoff team? The roster in front of him had more to do with their success than Talbot. Now we're in a position where we gave away a goalie who could've had a future with us for an aging goaltender who just isn't reliable, and will most likely not be here next year.

All true, but when you’re goal is to meaningfully miss the playoffs these are the types of things you do to accomplish these goals

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Matt Murray = 14 wins this season

Can Talbot = 16 wins this season

BIG UPGRADE

Only cost Gustafson, 3rd round pick, 7th round pick and $3.5 million in retained salary for 2 more wins from your starter

Reactions: Alex1234

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
So we can officially put a wooden stake in the Cam Talbot back to Ottawa nonsense right?
I’m looking forward to not seeing him play for us ever again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad