C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And I am telling you based on his playoff run. I am not making him out to be the next savior over here; I am saying that his defense was not a negative for the team. But then again, I generally don't dwell too much on expectations before the draft. As long as I am seeing steady improvement in a player his age, I am good.

We'll see next year.

And for the record, I'm completely neutral on this player and my viewpoint has nothing to do with pre-draft anything. He's just a player I happened to see quite a bit of this year.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I mean, it's obviously going to improve and will improve. But it's coming from a place of 'really, really bad'.
Saw him live during the gold-medal game of the world junior tournament in Halifax. His defensive game (in terms of both reads and effort) was excellent.

I'm sure he had some adjustments to make as a first-year pro, but I expect he'll be a centre in the NHL.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I have no clue what to expect from him. Just mildly disappointing considering he looked like MacKinnon to me in his 15 year old season, and on his worst nights, looked at least like Scheifele.

Interested to see how patient the Kraken will be over the next season.

Reactions: Just Linda

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
The guy saying Wright is bad defensively, and then said he watched him 12 games this season is saying lies or he cant evaluate a prospect. Its one of his force. Hes really good on both side and at the end of the season and playoff it was even more clearer.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I have no clue what to expect from him. Just mildly disappointing considering he looked like MacKinnon to me in his 15 year old season, and on his worst nights, looked at least like Scheifele.

Interested to see how patient the Kraken will be over the next season.
One thing seems pretty certain: he’s going to have to earn every bit of ice time he gets. Hes not going to be put in a position to look good and succeed.

With the addition of Chandler Stephenson, the Kraken’s top 9 is pretty much set with one-way contracts. Beniers, Gourde and Stephenson are the 3 guys down the middle. Wright slots in to that 4th line and maybe the 2nd PP.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
One thing seems pretty certain: he’s going to have to earn every bit of ice time he gets. Hes not going to be put in a position to look good and succeed.

With the addition of Chandler Stephenson, the Kraken’s top 9 is pretty much set with one-way contracts. Beniers, Gourde and Stephenson are the 3 guys down the middle. Wright slots in to that 4th line and maybe the 2nd PP.
i would be surprised if Bylsma starts him on the 4th line. I would think either he starts as 3C with Gourde at wing or the reverse. I think training cap will sort a lot of this out.

Reactions: majormajor

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
i would be surprised if Bylsma starts him on the 4th line. I would think either he starts as 3C with Gourde at wing or the reverse. I think training cap will sort a lot of this out.
You would think, but I just don’t see that happening due to contract obligations at this point. Not to mention the fact that Seattle is trying to make the playoffs. They have too many NHL vets at forward.

McCann(5m)-Beniers(RFA)-Burakovsky(5.5m)
Schwartz(5.5m)-Stephenson(6.25m)-Bjorkstrand(5.4m)
Tolvanen(3.45m)-Gourde(5.1m)-Eberle(4.7m)

Not that money is everything when making a lineup, but out of this group, I’m just not sure where Wright fits into this top 9. Who slots down for Wright?

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
You would think, but I just don’t see that happening due to contract obligations at this point. Not to mention the fact that Seattle is trying to make the playoffs. They have too many NHL vets at forward.

Not that money is everything when making a lineup, but out of this group, I’m just not sure where Wright fits into this top 9. Who slots down for Wright?
At least one of Schwartz or Burakovsky will be injured by Thanksgiving.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

There's no obligation to play someone like Schwartz higher in the lineup than Wright. Wright will be in the top 9. Gourde is also likely gone at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad